F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CarPlay, Android Auto, Mirrorlink, updating the F-Type entertainment

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 06:41 PM
Received 65 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jpidrovo
Has anyone tried this new Android infotainment system for jaguar F-type ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9Bq52jwXnw&t=9s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvZO_jobh4Q

http://www.canaviet.com/e_productsho...-2018-545.html

It looks amazing!!! it even has carplay integration.
please let me know if anyone has tried I totally want to get it.

Thanks

A couple of things about this, it reads the can/bus network it looks like, and it seems to use the 'guts' of the original video system. and just plugin a new 'front'. I would suspect you should be fine with it doing everything the current system does. I had already figured most of the 'overlay' on the infotainment was on the IAM module, so my guess is that this just re-intercepts and displays as a skin. What sucks is that this does not get away from having to *******ize the amp setup to get better sound, however, does provide you a good nav setup. Since this is running android, I wonder if I can root it and grab the messages from the canbus network to relay to the center screen for nav/music/speed.

All interesting stuff.... this is exactly what I was looking for.... i am going to be living the bachelor life while my wife is in Philly for work for a couple of months, I may pick this up....

Old 11-14-2018, 10:34 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rickw
A couple of things about this, it reads the can/bus network it looks like, and it seems to use the 'guts' of the original video system. and just plugin a new 'front'. I would suspect you should be fine with it doing everything the current system does. I had already figured most of the 'overlay' on the infotainment was on the IAM module, so my guess is that this just re-intercepts and displays as a skin. What sucks is that this does not get away from having to *******ize the amp setup to get better sound, however, does provide you a good nav setup. Since this is running android, I wonder if I can root it and grab the messages from the canbus network to relay to the center screen for nav/music/speed.

All interesting stuff.... this is exactly what I was looking for.... i am going to be living the bachelor life while my wife is in Philly for work for a couple of months, I may pick this up....
Did you decide you will do this?

Old 11-14-2018, 10:44 AM
Received 118 Likes on 29 Posts

Hey guys,

Just got my purchase through with Jenny. Looking forward to doing the review

Will post it via my companies YouTube channel and provide a blog review and an install write-up

Edit - My bad! Meant to post it in the 'Definitive' thread. Will copy this post there.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:07 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The "Definitive" thread?

Which did you get? There seems to be 2 or 3 out there now?

Old 11-14-2018, 11:08 AM
Received 118 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Siobhan Ellis
The "Definitive" thread?

Which did you get? There seems to be 2 or 3 out there now?
Sorry Stephen -

Referring to the other thread at the top of the board for the 10.25" Android retrofit thread. I got the Merryway unit. I think this thread covers both the OEM update available for newer models as well as the retrofit, and don't want to cross post too much so I will be posting my updates there.

Old 11-15-2018, 05:18 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure if this is new news but ... Android Auto for F-Type 2019 on.

Old 11-19-2018, 07:19 AM
Received 294 Likes on 164 Posts

I appreciate that since I don’t have InControl Pro only touch then I can’t have CarPlay.
What physically/electronically is preventing this. What do they actually do to enable CarPlay on later models that they can’t do on earlier ones, and why can’t they enable it?

Old 11-19-2018, 03:36 PM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I too have been waiting to read about the testing on the Merryway unit - but I wanted to share something I discovered when looking into this. It looks to me like the "CarPlay" component of that system is actually not something created by the company. You have to use a USB "CarPlay Dongle" - and if you do a quick search on Amazon you'll find there are other units like it on the market, that are made for Android head units or tablets. It appears it's a CarPlay Dongle that works with Android devices. There's nothing wrong with this setup - but I thought it was interesting - Merryway is selling an Android tablet integration (which of course isn't simple to integrate the factory screens!) - and the CarPlay functionality is really a universal solution for Android tablets. Hopefully those Dongles and Apps continue to work in the future! Otherwise the CarPlay functionality could stop. Either way - I'm excited to hear about the test units!

Old 11-21-2018, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by malbec
I appreciate that since I don’t have InControl Pro only touch then I can’t have CarPlay.
What physically/electronically is preventing this. What do they actually do to enable CarPlay on later models that they can’t do on earlier ones, and why can’t they enable it?
Anyone able to shed some light on this ?

Old 11-21-2018, 02:40 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Originally Posted by malbec
InControl Touch (NLI) and InControl Touch Pro (NGI) have totally different hardware and software, they are two separate, different systems.

CarPlay is added by new/updated software to the NGI, for whatever reason they haven't done it for the NLI system, maybe it's just not possible because of hardware or software limitation.

Old 11-21-2018, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Cambo
InControl Touch (NLI) and InControl Touch Pro (NGI) have totally different hardware and software, they are two separate, different systems.

CarPlay is added by new/updated software to the NGI, for whatever reason they haven't done it for the NLI system, maybe it's just not possible because of hardware or software limitation.
Thanks for the reply.
Maybe they can do it but would rather you bought a new car.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:59 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Just got Apple CarPlay added to my MY’19 (built March ‘18).
Question: do I need to connect my iPhone (xs) through usb or can I use Bluetooth?
Also: looking for a Jaguar-Apple CarPlay manual if such a thing exists.

Old 11-29-2018, 03:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am based in the UK and have a 2018 MY F Type V8 AWD. I have the NGI high system with the physical buttons down each side. Has anyone managed to have the same upgraded to support Apple CarPlay?

thnaks
andrew

Old 01-02-2019, 03:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Cambo,
would it be possible to add Incontrol Apps to In control Touch Pro? I have an MY18 XF with Incontrol Touch Pro - but without in control Apps
I do have nagivation, if that makes a difference.
Thanks!

Old 01-03-2019, 04:49 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Originally Posted by apr1962
I am based in the UK and have a 2018 MY F Type V8 AWD. I have the NGI high system with the physical buttons down each side. Has anyone managed to have the same upgraded to support Apple CarPlay?

thnaks
andrew
Yes it is available as a software update and feature enable in the InControl Touch Pro systems, you need the latest software installed and "smartphone pack" activated.

Officially this is not for free, you have to pay for it. Although some people did get it as "goodwill" because of complaints about the system.

Talk to your dealer about it.

Originally Posted by James Mann
Hi Cambo,
would it be possible to add Incontrol Apps to In control Touch Pro? I have an MY18 XF with Incontrol Touch Pro - but without in control Apps
I do have nagivation, if that makes a difference.
Thanks!
Yes it is possible to enable InControl Apps but frankly it's redundant now the Smartphone Pack with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto is available.

As above, talk to your dealer about getting the latest software installed and Smartphone pack activated. Be prepared to open your wallet though...

Old 04-09-2019, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Here's a video of a retrofit from older physical buttons to newer, larger screen: https://www.jaginfo.org/archive/index.php/t-106730.html
Not sure that helps anyone.

Also, Smartphone pack is standard on I-Pace, but some forums were suggesting Jag HQ rec'd dealers to add it for free, to "connect" with customers. I've seen that on forums, and it's anecdotal.

BUT... my dealer is 100% turning it on for no charge, which is nice.

Old 08-17-2021, 10:26 PM

Hey Cambo bro, we are a factory for all jaguar & range rover also all high end car multimedia retrofit factory , based in china . we may have some solution for this, if you have any intereting . info@ntaudios.com , www.ntaudios.com

Old 08-18-2021, 03:24 AM

Hi i would like to know if your car with a wired carplay ? if your car with wired carplay , we could provide a plug -play android box
any intereting , pls contact us, info@ntaudios.com www.ntaudios.com

Old 08-18-2021, 07:58 AM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

NT Audios, There's not enough information on the website for your F-Type Android head unit. Also, no user manual downloads or installation videos.