F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How does your clutch work on maximum acceleration during a 1st to 2nd gear upshift.
Works well with positive engagement.
33.33%
Not the best, but it's ok.
38.60%
Slips horribly or won't hook up at all.
28.07%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Clutch Satisfaction

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
The mystery deepens. I picked up a jug of T2R17199 fluid. Here it is next to Pentosin FFL-3.

The only mystery: what the hell is in your transmission?

Old 07-01-2018, 06:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Was in my transmission. After seeing oil analysis dealer flushed it and refilled with FFL-3 after they re-ordered fluid. Even before I run numbers of Pentosin that I got elsewhere. It was also service manager that suggested I run oil analysis in the first place and was willing to pay for it.

All past invoices state T2R17199 was used. I also recall them special-ordering this fluid from UK around 2016, since it wasn't in stock anywhere. So it is human error of some kind - either mechanic didn't use correct fluid despite having it in stock, or T2R17199 wasn't always FFL-3.

It would be interesting if someone could trace what was T2R17199 historically. Was that always this fluid, or perhaps there was a parts catalog error?

Last edited by SinF; 07-01-2018 at 06:33 AM.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:37 AM
Veteran Member

Hard to believe that Jag ever specified anything other than FFL-3, as this is the fluid that ZF has always specified for this particular transmission, regardless of marque (BMW, Porsche, etc.)

Old 07-16-2018, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Analysis of jaguar T2R17199 fluid is in. It is FFL-3.

Last edited by SinF; 07-16-2018 at 04:47 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member
Default Billet Flywheel on the machine

Sorry...Wrong Thread.

Last edited by Unhingd; 09-18-2018 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:25 AM
Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Last Production Date for 1st Generation Clutch

Originally Posted by Unhingd
No surprise...with that build date you probably still have the weak first generation clutch. Take it back to the dealer and have them install the 3rd generation clutch. Somewhere in this thread you should be able to find the right part number.
Sorry to resurrect this old thread. I have thought that my car was produced after the first gen clutches until I read this thread more carefully this morning. I have a "16 F Type S that was produced in 10/15 and has VIN 318XX. I appears from the comment that I'm responding to here that cars produced through 9/15 with VINs in the 30XXX's still had the first generation clutch. Has anyone ever been able to affirmatively identify what VIN # or production date started getting the second generation clutch setup?

I bought my CPO car last July (2018) with 17K miles and put on another 7.5K miles last year before it going into storage for the winter. During that time, I never felt the clutch slip or smelled the disk burning and while I don't generally drive aggressively I have gotten on it enough to know that 2nd and 3rd gears are just beastly in the car. That being said, I don't want to have a bad surprise some day and be stuck in the middle of nowhere with an demolished clutch and would like to get the whole thing sorted out if possible.

Any commentary and/or direction is appreciated, thanks.

Old 02-16-2019, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member

The gen 2 clutch first built some time after October 2015 blew up on me with 14k miles on it. Never slipped on me but came apart and the clutch could not be disengaged.

Last edited by Unhingd; 02-16-2019 at 12:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rbsj (02-16-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 12:51 PM

Yikes, that's not good, it sounded as if you were having better luck with Gen 2 than that. Have others had equally bad experiences with Gen 2?

Still, I guess my question still stands. Has anyone, including JLR, identified when they stopped equipping our MT F Types with the first generation Volvo clutch? Production date or VIN #? From the one article that was posted to this thread, it appears the Jaguar engineers were well aware of the inadequacy of the first generation clutch by May 2015. Not knowing what's in my car is a little disturbing and if I have the first generation clutch then I would like to get the whole thing sorted out and get whatever generation clutch JLR is using currently installed in my car before the warranty runs out.

Old 02-16-2019, 01:18 PM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rbsj
Yikes, that's not good, it sounded as if you were having better luck with Gen 2 than that. Have others had equally bad experiences with Gen 2?

Still, I guess my question still stands. Has anyone, including JLR, identified when they stopped equipping our MT F Types with the first generation Volvo clutch? Production date or VIN #? From the one article that was posted to this thread, it appears the Jaguar engineers were well aware of the inadequacy of the first generation clutch by May 2015. Not knowing what's in my car is a little disturbing and if I have the first generation clutch then I would like to get the whole thing sorted out and get whatever generation clutch JLR is using currently installed in my car before the warranty runs out.

I have a 2016 MY with vin 32135 - late 2015 - December delivery date - and the clutch works fine - no slippage whatsoever. It does have a slight vibration coming through the stick at 2500 RPM or so but is not consistent, has always had it and not getting any worse. I had a conversion with the dealer and they keep saying it is fine, but feel free to blow out the clutch and they'll replace it. Terrible answer and attitude but typical of jaguar.

rbsj (02-16-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by El Gato
I have a 2016 MY with vin 32135 - late 2015 - December delivery date - and the clutch works fine - no slippage whatsoever. It does have a slight vibration coming through the stick at 2500 RPM or so but is not consistent, has always had it and not getting any worse. I had a conversion with the dealer and they keep saying it is fine, but feel free to blow out the clutch and they'll replace it. Terrible answer and attitude but typical of jaguar.
OK then, it appears to be clear as to what my mission should be before the warranty period passes.

All kidding aside, does it make sense that I could have 23K miles on the car and not have any indication of a problematic clutch to this point if I had the generation 1 Volvo clutch?

Old 02-16-2019, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member

OK then, it appears to be clear as to what my mission should be before the warranty period passes.

All kidding aside, does it make sense that I could have 23K miles on the car and not have any indication of a problematic clutch to this point if I had the generation 1 Volvo clutch?
If shifting from 1st to second under hard acceleration doesn't induce slippage, you may not have the gen 1 clutch, but if you don't, you almost certainly have the gen 2 clutch which has a tendency to suffer from immediate failure without warning (can't be disengaged). However, at 23k miles, your clutch has already beat the odds.

rbsj (02-17-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 09:30 AM

If shifting from 1st to second under hard acceleration doesn't induce slippage, you may not have the gen 1 clutch, but if you don't, you almost certainly have the gen 2 clutch which has a tendency to suffer from immediate failure without warning (can't be disengaged). However, at 23k miles, your clutch has already beat the odds.
This is pretty much what I had surmised as well, but I didn't know that the second generation clutch assembly was experiencing significant problems too.

If I do have the second generations clutch assembly in my car (seems likely) then from these messages it seems that JLR started installing the second generation clutches sometime between mbelanger's VIN #303xx w/ production date 9/15 and my VIN #318xx w/ production date 10/15. Hmmm... that is a full 5 months after the May 2015 article posted to this thread where JLR engineers were aware of the inadequacy of the first generation clutch assembly. Not overly inspiring craftsmanship/engineering on the part of JLR.

Old 02-17-2019, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member

This is pretty much what I had surmised as well, but I didn't know that the second generation clutch assembly was experiencing significant problems too.

If I do have the second generations clutch assembly in my car (seems likely) then from these messages it seems that JLR started installing the second generation clutches sometime between mbelanger's VIN #303xx w/ production date 9/15 and my VIN #318xx w/ production date 10/15. Hmmm... that is a full 5 months after the May 2015 article posted to this thread where JLR engineers were aware of the inadequacy of the first generation clutch assembly. Not overly inspiring craftsmanship/engineering on the part of JLR.
well, now they’re up to gen 4 within just 4 years. I only have 9k miles on that one, but seems ok so far.

Old 02-17-2019, 10:32 AM

well, now they’re up to gen 4 within just 4 years. I only have 9k miles on that one, but seems ok so far.
OK thanks, do let us know how things progress with generation 4. For those of us who plan on keeping and driving the cars it seems inevitable that we will all have a similar experience sometime down the road. Just hope it happens while still under warranty.

Old 02-17-2019, 10:38 AM
Received 236 Likes on 173 Posts

May wanna check the exclusions page on your CPO warranty, on another thread it looked like clutches were not covered....

Old 02-17-2019, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

My car is VIN 28XXX, production date 6/15, and when I looked at the failed clutch it was stamped JLR, not Volvo.

Old 02-17-2019, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by lizzardo
My car is VIN 28XXX, production date 6/15, and when I looked at the failed clutch it was stamped JLR, not Volvo.
I don't know what to make of this. I guess they were using up all the JLR parts until they ran out, then they bought some Volvo stuff hoping for a temporary fix until they could get the second generation parts going into production in 10/15?

I guess its time to figure out how my Jaguar roadside assistance button works.

Old 03-18-2019, 03:13 PM
Received 139 Likes on 76 Posts

I don't know what to make of this. I guess they were using up all the JLR parts until they ran out, then they bought some Volvo stuff hoping for a temporary fix until they could get the second generation parts going into production in 10/15?

I guess its time to figure out how my Jaguar roadside assistance button works.
I will say that JLR roadside assistance has been very good in the two instances that I've needed them so far. Pleasant, quick, going-out-of-their-way helpful.

rbsj (03-18-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 02:13 AM
Received 139 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Chawumba
May wanna check the exclusions page on your CPO warranty, on another thread it looked like clutches were not covered....
I don't understand how that could possibly be acceptable.

Get this - I haven't even gone through a full tank of fuel in mine and it's currently in the shop for the second time inside of two weeks for transmission issues.

Bill400 (07-31-2021)
Old 03-19-2019, 04:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by Luc Lapierre
I don't understand how that could possibly be acceptable.

Get this - I haven't even gone through a full tank of fuel in mine and it's currently in the shop for the second time inside of two weeks for transmission issues.
I've used the roadside assistance twice, but my vehicle was home both times and had a a driveability issue. 90 minute guareeteed pick, but both times was less than an hour. Interesting is your car needs to be on flatbed, they will also flatbed it home after fixed. At least here in my area.

Quick Reply: Clutch Satisfaction