Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   F-Type ( X152 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/)
-   -   Clutch Satisfaction (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/clutch-satisfaction-158861/)

Unhingd 03-03-2016 09:54 AM

Clutch Satisfaction

I'm trying to get a sense of whether the shortcomings I am experiencing with the clutch is related to build date or is a constant on all F-Type manual transmissions.

Please indicate your build date by month in a response.

WhiteTardis 03-03-2016 10:06 AM

I've had some seat time in a company manual F Type in all conditions. The manual doesn't encourage fast shifts. It allows slipping way too much and the experience is further muted by the clutch delay valve.

lizzardo 03-03-2016 10:18 AM

A choice between "OK" and "horrible" would be helpful.

Unhingd 03-03-2016 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by lizzardo (Post 1414718)
A choice between "OK" and "horrible" would be helpful.

pick horrible , and your post just registered somewhere between. Unfortunately, I can't make any changes to the poll at this point.

lizzardo 03-03-2016 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd (Post 1414732)
pick horrible , and your post just registered somewhere between. Unfortunately, I can't make any changes to the poll at this point.

Note that neither choice quite matched my characterization, but the delay valve's effects are detrimental.

Manufacture date 06/15

Unhingd 03-03-2016 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by lizzardo (Post 1414831)
Note that neither choice quite matched my characterization, but the delay valve's effects are detrimental.

Manufacture date 06/15

Removing the delay valve certainly improves the clutch feel and controllability under normal driving conditions, but does nothing in my case to reduce the slippage on hard launch and up-shifting. Your production month is the same as mine.

What are your symptoms?

Buckingham 03-03-2016 04:18 PM

I have gotten used to it. I let it fully engage before I hit the gas. First few times on a hill I burned some clutch pad but no longer. I'm never going have a great 0-60 time.

drbill 03-03-2016 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd (Post 1414705)
I'm trying to get a sense of whether the shortcomings I am experiencing with the clutch is related to build date or is a constant on all F-Type manual transmissions.

Mine built 10/15. 1st to 2nd is good, it's the initial start-off that is a bit slow to engage. I've gotten used to it, so doesn't bother me. :icon_beerchug:

Unhingd 03-03-2016 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by drbill (Post 1414969)
Mine built 10/15. 1st to 2nd is good, it's the initial start-off that is a bit slow to engage. I've gotten used to it, so doesn't bother me. :icon_beerchug:

your issue can be resolved by removing the clutch delay valve.(simple operation)

MagnumPI 03-04-2016 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd (Post 1414705)

June/July 2015 I think. Absolute POS honestly. I was thinking about requesting a voluntary recall action against Jag the other day. I've driven a clutch that was ready to give and this feels like it. At about 3000 miles it started just feeling like a Honda $300 setup from Autozone.
Couple weeks ago, I threw it into third and got zero grab, full slippage. Backed all the way off, still wouldn't catch. Took like 20 seconds to pump and baby the throttle to get it to hook up. I'm actually really pissed at this point. Imagine an Aston doing this the hell that would unleash.

Unhingd 03-04-2016 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by MagnumPI (Post 1415314)
June/July 2015 I think. Absolute POS honestly. I was thinking about requesting a voluntary recall action against Jag the other day. I've driven a clutch that was ready to give and this feels like it. At about 3000 miles it started just feeling like a Honda $300 setup from Autozone.
Couple weeks ago, I threw it into third and got zero grab, full slippage. Backed all the way off, still wouldn't catch. Took like 20 seconds to pump and baby the throttle to get it to hook up. I'm actually really pissed at this point. Imagine an Aston doing this the hell that would unleash.

Have you taken it back to the dealer for comment?

Jaronstoys 03-04-2016 05:00 PM

After riding in unhingd car I could not believe how bad this clutch really is.

Unhingd 03-04-2016 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jaronstoys (Post 1415497)
After riding in unhingd car I could not believe how bad this clutch really is.

I'm still debating whether to bring it back to the dealer to force the issue, or just fix the problem myself. I'm afraid after they try to fix it, it won't be any different, as this is already the second clutch with the same problem.

I have an appointment in a couple of weeks to remove the clutch so a new one can be sized. The clutch fabricator will be able to test the capacities of the new clutch before we install it.

Jaronstoys 03-04-2016 07:16 PM

Nice are you using spec to make the clutch

lizzardo 03-04-2016 08:40 PM

I'm bringing mine in for an oil change on Tuesday. The clutch is on the list of things to check, although they will probably find that it is working properly. I don't have real problems with mine, but I'm generally gentle on the clutch and gearbox, more aggressive on throttle and chassis.

Unhingd 03-04-2016 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jaronstoys (Post 1415562)
Nice are you using spec to make the clutch

Yes.

mshedden 03-05-2016 10:45 AM

Ugh, not a great adverrtisement for the manual if you have to delete the delay valve, change the shifter and have new clutch plate etc fabricated to make it perform close to how it should have been 'out of the box'.

Foosh 03-05-2016 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by mshedden (Post 1415832)
Ugh, not a great adverrtisement for the manual if you have to delete the delay valve, change the shifter and have new clutch plate etc fabricated to make it perform close to how it should have been 'out of the box'.

No kidding . . . As a die-hard manual person for more than 30 years, I was SOOOO close to making a deal to trade my '14 for a '16 manual last year when they were introduced, and I'm so glad I didn't. I didn't because the weaknesses were obvious almost immediately.

If JLR were to get their act together and fix this, I'd make the swap immediately, but there's no way in hell I'd go through what Unhingd is doing to try to make it right.

lizzardo 03-05-2016 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by mshedden (Post 1415832)

The shifter is not a "have to" update. The throw is shorter than my two previous cars, although longer than the one I updated with a short-shifter.

The delay valve is a different story. I don't notice it (much) in daily driving, but away from the commute and feeling sporty, it's a problem. I haven't had issues where the clutch just wouldn't engage, but I have adjusted my driving to account for the weak clutch. I shouldn't have to do that.

MagnumPI 03-05-2016 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd (Post 1415377)
Have you taken it back to the dealer for comment?

No. I think I'll talk to Jaguar first, and see what they have to say for themselves.