F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette C8 - finally a Corvette worth a look.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 01:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts
Default Corvette C8 - finally a Corvette worth a look.

Opinions will vary, but I like this look better than any previous Corvette model. They hit it out of the park. Not a Corvette fan, but this reworked mid-engine car COULD be the first one I would call desirable.

Especially when the eventual performance (ZR1) variants debut in 2-3 years.

Old 09-16-2018, 05:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

If this will be the car, it should have a new name as it doesn't seem like it should be called a Corvette.

Old 09-16-2018, 06:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Rumors are that it won't offer a manual gearbox. If true, Corvette is dead to me.

The following users liked this post:
mbelanger (09-18-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 07:29 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Exterior looks great. Now I need to see the interior and they need to work all the kinks out the new mid-engine design/model. I could be buyer in 2-3 years.

Old 09-16-2018, 08:05 AM
Received 81 Likes on 35 Posts

I will have to see it in the flesh. I'm not generally a fan of the proportions of mid-engine designs. Regardless, the performance should be excellent.

Old 09-16-2018, 08:09 AM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

That's not a Corvette,lost its soul, quite a few years ago..The 50's or 60's and even 70's those were Corvettes,my idea anyway!!!

Old 09-16-2018, 08:13 AM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts

Looks a lot like a Ford GT.

ndabunka (09-16-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

If this is really it, it'll be the first Corvette in a generation that doesn't look like it a full-size Hot Wheels (tm). Styling has been too cartoonish for me to consider for many years not.

I'm interested to see what they look like in person.

Old 09-16-2018, 11:41 AM
Received 169 Likes on 107 Posts

That video is one of the worst "auto-review" reports of all time. The person blabs on about a car that hasn't even been fully specified yet. B-S'ing about his wishes, hopes and aspirations for a car that he has never even driven. Yet he waxes lyrically about all of these imaginary performance numbers, features etc.

What a complete tool of a moron! A absolute copacetic imbecile.

ndabunka (09-16-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

If it really looked like the concept car on the first shot, I could be tempted. However, the actual implementation with no rear Side windows, looks like nothing more than an updated 2006 Monte Carlo on steroids. The proportions are all wrong. The F type is still far superior in looks.

ndabunka (09-16-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Although, I generally like the shape, I don't care for nor do I believe the actual production model will get the big fiberglass scoop as part of the door, Can you even imagine trying to open that door in a tight parking space with 6-8" of scoop jutting away from the door. As for the guy doing the video, there were some inaccuracies to say the least. First off, a moment after he says that the new Corvette will be the first mid-engined sports car that anyone can own, he then shows a Pontiac Fiero. I would also argue that the 1971 De Tomaso Pantera (I have a '72), offered the first reasonably priced mid-engined sports car that had performance equaling that of the best sports cars in the world at the time. M.S.R.P. was $10,250.00. The Corvette's weight at 3200 lbs. should insure stellar performance and driving results, but there is a lot more to making a successful car than just numbers. Let's see and drive the real thing along with the interior, then we'll pass judgment.

Old 09-16-2018, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,122 Likes on 2,303 Posts

And what about the humble but very affordable Toyota MR2?

Old 09-16-2018, 09:17 PM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
Rumors are that it won't offer a manual gearbox. If true, Corvette is dead to me.
Imagin how disconsulated they are to hear that in Maranello.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:22 PM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

[QUOTE

What a complete tool of a moron! A absolute copacetic imbecile.[/QUOTE]

Make up your mind. Is he a moron or an imbecile But in either case probably the least intelligent automobile review ever posted. Truly excrement.

ndabunka (09-16-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 11:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by sparky fuze
That video is one of the worst "auto-review" reports of all time. The person blabs on about a car that hasn't even been fully specified yet. B-S'ing about his wishes, hopes and aspirations for a car that he has never even driven. Yet he waxes lyrically about all of these imaginary performance numbers, features etc.

What a complete tool of a moron! A absolute copacetic imbecile.
AND his "illustrations" are all "artist concepts" drawn by any of thousands of keyboard jockeys. He also has absolutely ZERO understanding that GM will be asking around $150K for them as he speaks as if they will be priced the same as the current C7. The designers bringing this car to market have pointed out OVER & OVER that one of the PRIMARY reasons that a rear-engine Vette has not come out before is due to the economics of it. The Vette is supposed to be the "every-mans sports car" & the costs associated with a rear-engine variant will prevent that from being the case. They simply can't manufacture them cheaply enough to keep the price under $100K.

Old 09-16-2018, 11:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
And what about the humble but very affordable Toyota MR2?
Believe it or not, the final year MR2 is actually becoming a collectable these days.

Burt Gummer (09-18-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 05:48 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Almost bought the C7 gran sport limited edition with the blue trim. Sadly, I am 6'5" and simply did not fit comfortably. Unless they make the car bigger, I will not buy this one either.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:21 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

People said the same thing about the C7 when it arrived- "I would buy one now". I will believe it when I see it. The current Corvette looks awesome and performs better than almost any car- but the interior is fairly cheap, and the interior absolutely reeks of uncured fiberglass (at least in the showroom). My wife got in a 2018 Grand Sport on the showroom floor and immediately rejected it because of the overpowering smell.
The proof is in the pudding

Old 09-17-2018, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Chester7
People said the same thing about the C7 when it arrived- "I would buy one now". I will believe it when I see it. The current Corvette looks awesome and performs better than almost any car- but the interior is fairly cheap, and the interior absolutely reeks of uncured fiberglass (at least in the showroom). My wife got in a 2018 Grand Sport on the showroom floor and immediately rejected it because of the overpowering smell.
The proof is in the pudding
I've sat in many "new" Vettes and NEVER smelled uncured fiberglass and trust me, I KNOW the smell very, very, very well having spent 2 or 3 summer's re-building an old classic boat so something must have been amiss but I did something similar with my wife when the GS came out at the auto show. Took her to sit in it and talked about how much better the C7 GS was compared to the prior iterations. She studied the interior and basically humored me. It had been a year since I had sold my motorcycle and we had been looking for my next "toy car". We had previously sat in the Lotus and 4C, the Merc SLs, a few Audi's & even older '62 to '67 vettes. She felt we needed a newer car with a full warranty so that I would not be in the garage wrenching on it instead of driving it on the weekends. She said, "Why not buy it if you like it so much". I told her that I think she just might like the F-Type better and that it has AWD which would make it easier for her to drive every once in a while. Once she sat in the Jag, she exclaimed that the interior was SO MUCH NICER than the Corvette and for that reason alone, she would prefer the F-Type R after having sat and fiddled with both a few more times and she said.. Why don't you buy the Jag instead? THEN she saw the price difference $85K for the ragtop C7 GS (with options) vs. $112K for the Jag equally equipped & she understood saying that if the prices were even or close to even, she would prefer the Jag which was my EXACT thought as well. it took me another 8 months and a LOT of research and negotiating to be able to buy our new '17 R for that objective in the end paying $85K for the one we have now. COMPLETELY satisfied but IF the new C8 actually lives up to the hype AND it comes out priced under $100K... well, I might just have to think about it some more.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:01 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Excuse me sir! I attributed the reek to uncured fiberglass- it sure smelled like it. In any event it positively reeked, and before we got in the sales person said " I just love the smell". Typical sales person taking a negative and trying to make it a positive. To me it confirms that 3 people smelled the strong odor.

Quick Reply: Corvette C8 - finally a Corvette worth a look.