Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   F-Type ( X152 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/)
-   -   Custom Wheel Size (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/custom-wheel-size-168219/)

zmoothg 08-26-2016 08:00 AM

Custom Wheel Size

I am looking at getting some custom forge wheels for my F-Type. I have decided on the current configuration because if I have calculated everything appropriately, it should effectively be equivalent to our stock wheels with a 17mm spacer. I believe this is sort of the farthest you can extend without fender rolling, correct?

Front: 9.5J x 20 ET44 (should result in 17.35mm extension)
Rear: 11J x 20 ET27 (should result in 17.35mm extension)

My big question is, that if I have the wheels made in this size, would it be hard to sell off later, since these have an aggressive positive offset. Since the jaguar bolt pattern is not common, someone would likely need to use an adapter when purchasing these wheel later from me, which would reduce the offset and make these wheels hard to fit in a typical car. Is this fair logic?

If this is the case, is it better to get the wheels made close to OEM and then purchase the 17mm spacers?

ShaunPA 08-26-2016 10:43 AM

that's actually a little conservative ... you would probably want to run 41 and 22 offsets F/R respectively. you wont need to do any fender mods and shouldnt have an issue to sell later.

polarisnavyxj 08-26-2016 02:02 PM

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...s-math-165872/

Philly Single 08-26-2016 02:09 PM

https://www.customwheeloffset.com/ti...et-calculators

An ET22 in the rear would push the wheel out .86" out...So I wouldn't really call an ET27 "a little conservative" - it will still hand the wheel out there.

polarisnavyxj 08-26-2016 02:31 PM

from the tons of pics on the spacer site, 17mm is what we all went with for the GB for then purpose of not having to grind studs but at the end of the day, that seems to be a great target as the wheel width couldn't be more perfect. We all get kind of caught up and sometimes forget the a mm is such a tiny unit that anything close to 17mm will look sweet. +-3mm will not make or break your goal.

You may want to also consider .5" in front and 1.0"-1.5" in rear increase of wheel size.

And to your question, I wouldn't invest into a new set of wheels with the mindset of selling them later. A wheel made for a XJ or F can share wheels, not sure about the other models but unlike BMW, Jag owners tend to cringe when it comes to aftermarket and wheels for Jag are a hard sell unless you get lucky.

zmoothg 08-26-2016 03:04 PM

Thanks everyone for your help. Seems like my current custom specs would work. I won't think about selling them in the aftermarket then. In the past I typically sold my rims when I upgraded cars, but I guess I'll send these off with the car if I can find a buyer in the future.

What is the max extension front & back before fender rolling is needed, 20mm or less?

Unhingd 08-26-2016 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by zmoothg (Post 1523942)
Thanks everyone for your help. Seems like my current custom specs would work. I won't think about selling them in the aftermarket then. In the past I typically sold my rims when I upgraded cars, but I guess I'll send these off with the car if I can find a buyer in the future.

What is the max extension front & back before fender rolling is needed, 20mm or less?

I am certain you would find an F-Type owner willing to buy them. Yes, 20mm would be the max if you don't plan on lowering lowering the car. Otherwise, stick with a 15-17mm extension.

Unhingd 08-26-2016 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by ShaunPA (Post 1523806)
that's actually a little conservative ... you would probably want to run 41 and 22 offsets F/R respectively. you wont need to do any fender mods and shouldnt have an issue to sell later.

Shaun, check your math again. I'm fairly certain that for those wheel widths, he needs 41mm ET in front and 27mm ET in back for a 17.35mm extension.

zmoothg 08-27-2016 01:38 AM

The wheel calculator said e44 for the front. For a 17mm extension.

Unhingd 08-27-2016 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by zmoothg (Post 1524156)
The wheel calculator said e44 for the front. For a 17mm extension.

My apologies...my mistake. You are correct. I was starting with the wrong OEM offset number.

Here is OEM (20" wheels)
Front: 55mm
Rear: 38mm

To accomplish a 17mm extension
Front: 44mm
Rear: 27mm

You had the right numbers from the start.

carnut1 08-28-2016 05:04 AM

I tend to just keep the original wheels when I change them out (though I have wheels and tires for a lot of cars in my warehouse every coupe of years I list a bunch of car stuff on ebay and donate the money to charity). I do the same thing with steering wheels always buy a second one and have it remade to my specs. With this car I bought some Nitto Motivo's to put on the OEM Blade wheels (so I can drive when it gets cold) and next spring I will buy a set of lighter forged wheels and mount them with a better set of summer tires

Philly Single 08-28-2016 09:53 AM

Off topic, but I've been thinking hard about buying a piece of land and putting up a proper warehouse or well, extremely large garage for my cars and cars of fellow enthusiasts.

ShaunPA 08-28-2016 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Philly Single (Post 1524753)
Off topic, but I've been thinking hard about buying a piece of land and putting up a proper warehouse or well, extremely large garage for my cars and cars of fellow enthusiasts.

that would be cool ... Make it like a private club and turn it in to a small business to help pay for itself

ShaunPA 08-28-2016 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd (Post 1524089)
Shaun, check your math again. I'm fairly certain that for those wheel widths, he needs 41mm ET in front and 27mm ET in back for a 17.35mm extension.

The offsets I gave are a little more aggressive but will work without any fender work.

See this thread for his specs.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/new-wheels-springs-installed-132658/