F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer overfilled oil...and more

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 05:45 AM
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Oil Overfill

Okay, so the noob isn't paying attention to how this forum works. I scrolled to the bottom of the page and responded to this thread on a completely different one.

I had the same oil overfill issue with my first service. 2017 R AWD and I have to drive more than an hour to my nearest dealer. The service manager assures me they didn't overfill the oil even though the car says they did. He even provided me a copy of the service manual that calls for 8.15L in all V8 S/C 5.0L AWD applications. Of course he also told me they only put 8 quarts in and then told me the car has to be absolutely level for the oil indicator to read properly. In any case he assures me the car is safe to drive, but they would be happy to take some oil out if it would make me feel better. Odd that there should be such a large difference between the service manual and the owner's handbook. I plan to keep that correspondence safe.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:35 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,050 Posts

Originally Posted by EJag66
He even provided me a copy of the service manual that calls for 8.15L in all V8 S/C 5.0L AWD applications.
My MY18 manual states the engine oil refill and filter change requires 6.5 litres for the AWD and 7.25 litres for the RWD.

Old 01-11-2019, 01:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,130 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
.... and people still take their cars to dealers when they don't have to - for tires etc. Dealer is last choice, always.
Not so. My dealer fitted my F-Type with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires for a price very competitive with the tire shop quotes and more recently provided OEM rubber floor mats for the F-Type at a price significantly lower than I could find on eBay...there are indeed many times when the dealer is not the most economical choice but there are also frequent exceptions...and a relationship with your dealer is worth supporting.

The following users liked this post:
JgaXkr (01-12-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 209 Likes on 186 Posts

My V6S has had 7 oil changes with no overfill, always at dealer. Appears to be that some dealers can't tell difference between V6 and V8

Old 01-11-2019, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 528 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
.... and people still take their cars to dealers when they don't have to - for tires etc. Dealer is last choice, always.
The whole 'free maintenance' thing was the motivator.

Old 01-11-2019, 02:25 PM
Veteran Member

Okay, so the noob isn't paying attention to how this forum works. I scrolled to the bottom of the page and responded to this thread on a completely different one.

I had the same oil overfill issue with my first service. 2017 R AWD and I have to drive more than an hour to my nearest dealer. The service manager assures me they didn't overfill the oil even though the car says they did. He even provided me a copy of the service manual that calls for 8.15L in all V8 S/C 5.0L AWD applications. Of course he also told me they only put 8 quarts in and then told me the car has to be absolutely level for the oil indicator to read properly. In any case he assures me the car is safe to drive, but they would be happy to take some oil out if it would make me feel better. Odd that there should be such a large difference between the service manual and the owner's handbook. I plan to keep that correspondence safe.
This was covered somewhere else, but the service manual was wrong. I believe it has since been corrected, but 8 liters is way too much...by about 1.25 liters. I'd have them remove 2 liters, then add some back in until it's right.

I don't understand the simple lack of pride in work. When I do my own oil changes, I only use the recommended figure as a guideline. I'd fill it up most of the way, then turn the car on, let it warm up, then let is settle and check, adding oil until it's at the correct level. It sound like what many of these dealers do is hook up a hose to a drum of oil, then pump out a predetermined amount of oil and send you on your way.

Old 01-11-2019, 03:41 PM

"My MY18 manual states the engine oil refill and filter change requires 6.5 litres for the AWD and 7.25 litres for the RWD."

Yep, so does my MY 17.

Last edited by EJag66; 01-11-2019 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Include quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by eeeeek
This was covered somewhere else, but the service manual was wrong. I believe it has since been corrected, but 8 liters is way too much...by about 1.25 liters. I'd have them remove 2 liters, then add some back in until it's right.

I don't understand the simple lack of pride in work. When I do my own oil changes, I only use the recommended figure as a guideline. I'd fill it up most of the way, then turn the car on, let it warm up, then let is settle and check, adding oil until it's at the correct level. It sound like what many of these dealers do is hook up a hose to a drum of oil, then pump out a predetermined amount of oil and send you on your way.
Yep, if was changing my own oil that is exactly the way I would do it. Although, my service manager assures me they use the Castrol Edge Pro in individual quart containers. I will find out for sure when I take him up on his offer of giving me a couple quarts for topping up between services.

Last edited by EJag66; 01-11-2019 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Respond to more of the quote.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,114 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Originally Posted by bjg625
My V6S has had 7 oil changes with no overfill, always at dealer. Appears to be that some dealers can't tell difference between V6 and V8
There is no difference between the V6 and V8 as regards the correct oil fill volume, they both have identical sumps.
The difference is between the RWD and the AWD regardless of which engine.

Old 01-12-2019, 07:13 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211

Not so. My dealer fitted my F-Type with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires for a price very competitive with the tire shop quotes and more recently provided OEM rubber floor mats for the F-Type at a price significantly lower than I could find on eBay...there are indeed many times when the dealer is not the most economical choice but there are also frequent exceptions...and a relationship with your dealer is worth supporting.
Same here. They were the same price as the Tire Rack.

Old 01-15-2019, 03:13 PM
Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

Got mine back from the dealer last wkend, & now its says Over-Filled.

So what's so bad about having too much oil in an over-filled condition? What's the harm it'll do to your engine?

Old 01-15-2019, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by NavyBlue
Got mine back from the dealer last wkend, & now its says Over-Filled.

So what's so bad about having too much oil in an over-filled condition? What's the harm it'll do to your engine?
As I understand it. Too much oil effectively turns your crank into a Ktichen Aide mixer. The oil gets whipped up and not longer goes cleanly through the lines.

Old 01-15-2019, 03:24 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

And Jaguar is concerned enough about it that the owner's manual instructs you to NOT drive the car and have it towed to the dealer.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Prange
And Jaguar is concerned enough about it that the owner's manual instructs you to NOT drive the car and have it towed to the dealer.
Sad thing is, some dealers can't (or just don't want to) fix it. Dealer returns the car to you still with overfilled reading

Overfilled condition happened to me a while ago as well.

Old 01-16-2019, 09:26 AM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by superwuhan33
Sad thing is, some dealers can't (or just don't want to) fix it. Dealer returns the car to you still with overfilled reading

Overfilled condition happened to me a while ago as well.
That is a very depressing indictment of current automobile technicians. I was 13 years old when I began working in garages and changing oil and filters was one of my primary tasks. We had manuals that listed the capacities for every vehicle we serviced and I don't recall one single overfill in all the years I was involved. Forgetting to replace the drain plug, yes; but that became very apparent before the car left the service bay.

Old 01-16-2019, 04:27 PM

I wouldn't let this rest so I contacted Jaguar and now it gets even more confusing. According to JNA, the 5.0L S/C motor will actually take 9.1L or 9.4Q, but they only service it to 8Q. Unless you get a check engine light in conjunction with the overfilled indication they insist there is no problem with your oil fill. I would normally be much happier that my motor had a 9Q sump vice 7Q, but they have done nothing to make me confident in what they are telling me.

And how can an engine that takes 9.4 quarts indicate overfilled with 8? Suspicious Cat is still suspicious.

Last edited by EJag66; 01-16-2019 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Add a line
Old 01-17-2019, 09:31 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,064 Likes on 1,369 Posts

For reference, for the 2014 V6, the manual says:
Initial fill, 8.9l
Oil and filter change, 7.25l
Oil change only 6.75l

Old 01-17-2019, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Misujerr
I feel your pain SVR, San Jose is closest to me too but not touching that place after the stories I have heard. Took mine all the way up to Marin for service #1 and they overfilled too (along with forgetting about it for a week...) Mine is a V6 RWD, so no one is exempt. Bought it at Livermore so might take it there next time...
Originally Posted by 16fnrbrg
SF Bay area owners, over multiple Jaguars, I have been pleased with Cole european in Walnut Creek, lied to by the Livermore bunch, and pleased with the Marin dealership. My FT goes in next week to Cole for ann'l servicing. If things differ, will letcha know!
I don't get the sense that Jaguar dealerships as a whole really have their stuff together. They all seems super scattered, all over the place, and flat out lacking any sort sophistication from a business perspective. They all seem like they're run by some random management team flying by the seat of their pants, just with marble flooring.

That being said, the Service staff at Livermore is wonderful. The sales staff seems to be quite reserved. Hint. Hint.

Maybe I'll try Cole one of these days.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:22 AM
Banned
Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
For reference, for the 2014 V6, the manual says:
Initial fill, 8.9l
Oil and filter change, 7.25l
Oil change only 6.75l
Since we have to trust the car's oil level and not the manual:

I measure the oil level with the car, first. Next I pump out the oil and read the amount removed. That's how much I put back in.

Never let the dealer, or anyone else, so much as touch your car. The only exception is if you have to get help, or you've determined what is wrong is covered, but try to diagnose the car yourself first. Oil is too important and too easy to let the dealer touch the car, even if covered. A smart buyer will prefer your personal records with a receipt for proper oil and a quick photo, than a mindless dealer invoice for some min cost warranty oil change.

Last edited by JIMLIGHTA; 01-17-2019 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:06 AM
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

FWIW
I purchased my FT from Livermore, when they did the 1st oil change they overfilled it...and the paint chipping on the lower valance they thought was wax residue. I immediately changed to Cole and have had better service, not perfect but much better.

Quick Reply: Dealer overfilled oil...and more