F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Definitive Android 10.25” Retrofit Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 06:49 PM
Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

Am I right in assuming that the 2014-2015 F-Type have a resistive touch screen, while 2016 and on have a capacitive touch screen?

Old 11-06-2018, 12:12 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi , guys, Jenny here, thats our factory which made this F type android system and made this video. I am surprised that you guys found this video, I can answer all your question. just contact me as free.

Jenny
Jennytang@sz-mrw.com

The following users liked this post:
usgpru27 (11-12-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 01:56 AM
Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

In 2016 jaguar introduced the NLI head unit. This is the screen with more modern looking tiles. If you have a 2016 car with base or 380w Meridian system, this is what you have - InControl Touch. If you have the Meridian 770w system, you have the older system - in control touch plus. The design of the two systems is very different, particularly the touch screen. both are 8", but the NLI system has one video connection and is a much slimmer unit. I Dont think it has the daughter boards that we see swapped over in the videos. As to resistaive or capacitive, I dont know the answer to that one.

Old 11-06-2018, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Paul Calvert
In 2016 jaguar introduced the NLI head unit. This is the screen with more modern looking tiles. If you have a 2016 car with base or 380w Meridian system, this is what you have - InControl Touch. If you have the Meridian 770w system, you have the older system - in control touch plus. The design of the two systems is very different, particularly the touch screen. both are 8", but the NLI system has one video connection and is a much slimmer unit. I Dont think it has the daughter boards that we see swapped over in the videos. As to resistaive or capacitive, I dont know the answer to that one.
That would mean that they offer 2 completely different systems, and that is unlikely. Miscommunication is extremely easy with Chinese companies, so those of us with the early systems need to vigilant and make sure it does work for us.
I am sending them some pictures of my system as they requested. I will post back once I get an answer.

Old 11-06-2018, 02:41 PM
Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

I have also contacted for the NLI touchscreen, so we will see what happens.😀

Last edited by Paul Calvert; 11-06-2018 at 03:22 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:37 PM
Received 65 Likes on 18 Posts

Here is my two cents. The screen is being replaced not the IAM module which is in the center console (below cd player), this means that you should keep all 'factory' options available. What it seems like to me is that they are 'blocking' the video and putting in their own, while providing connectivity. This is furthered by the ribbon cable they are connecting into the original boards.

Having taken apart both the IAM Module (the actual brains of the current infotainment for our cars), and the screen system, the screen itself has no brains and just input/output. My only issue is I do not want to wait long to get one , plan on ordering one through amazon.

Some benefits:
It is running android, which leaves this to lots of possibilities
Jaguar integrated the canbus into the original screen which is how you run the commands for dynamic in the background, this leaves future options also on the table
iPhone SDK for CarPlay
Chinese Made, may be very hackable for future things/reversible...

the other thing to add, is that you will not be able to easily replace the amp from what I can tell since you are still using the original IAM module. However, since it is a short hop/skip to the iam module from the screen, I wonder if I can pull the code from the IAM Module....

Now to get that blasted money for this project....

EDIT:

Quick Ninja Edit: Looking at the last walk through, it appears that they leave up the 'start' button of the android at all times on the screen, that may be a bit annoying..

Last edited by rickw; 11-06-2018 at 06:42 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:57 PM

I am game for being guinea pig!

Old 11-06-2018, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by rickw
I am game for being guinea pig!
Same here. The MY16 infotainment is horrible.

Old 11-06-2018, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by rickw
Here is my two cents. The screen is being replaced not the IAM module which is in the center console (below cd player), this means that you should keep all 'factory' options available. What it seems like to me is that they are 'blocking' the video and putting in their own, while providing connectivity. This is furthered by the ribbon cable they are connecting into the original boards.

Having taken apart both the IAM Module (the actual brains of the current infotainment for our cars), and the screen system, the screen itself has no brains and just input/output. My only issue is I do not want to wait long to get one , plan on ordering one through amazon.

Some benefits:
It is running android, which leaves this to lots of possibilities
Jaguar integrated the canbus into the original screen which is how you run the commands for dynamic in the background, this leaves future options also on the table
iPhone SDK for CarPlay
Chinese Made, may be very hackable for future things/reversible...

the other thing to add, is that you will not be able to easily replace the amp from what I can tell since you are still using the original IAM module. However, since it is a short hop/skip to the iam module from the screen, I wonder if I can pull the code from the IAM Module....

Now to get that blasted money for this project....

EDIT:

Quick Ninja Edit: Looking at the last walk through, it appears that they leave up the 'start' button of the android at all times on the screen, that may be a bit annoying..
Are you referring to the 2014-2015 models or the later ones?

And if it does work for 2015, I will be going for it as well. Maybe we can get a group buy going

The following users liked this post:
rexus31 (11-06-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 08:50 PM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

i was speaking to a mate of mine who is very familiar with these android systems

he rekons there would be one main unit, and then plenty of chinese copies of that chinese copy lol

this makes sense to me, as when you watch the videos, there are a few different versions looking at the screen setups bw them - for eg the merryway retains the oe 4 quadrant look, whereas the other models don't

so the trick is working out who has the original copy to guarantee the better quality system

i prefer the look of the merryway unit

and yep im happy to throw a few bucks at a guinea pig

Old 11-06-2018, 09:21 PM

Jenny from Merryway responded to me saying that the system will work on 2014-2015

Old 11-06-2018, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member

So if you run phone based apps like Waze and Spotify, are you able to view all of that on screen if you plug in your phone? I'm not very familiar with carplay.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jaggyx
So if you run phone based apps like Waze and Spotify, are you able to view all of that on screen if you plug in your phone? I'm not very familiar with carplay.
given this is an android based system, any app you can download on your phone can be placed on screen

for legit apple carplay, only apps approved by apple for carplay can be used - waze and google earth were added only recently, spotify has been available for a while

Old 11-07-2018, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Paul champagne
Jenny from Merryway responded to me saying that the system will work on 2014-2015
im still waiting for her to send me actual pics of the f type system, including those oe screens i've requested

Old 11-07-2018, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by domino_z
given this is an android based system, any app you can download on your phone can be placed on screen

for legit apple carplay, only apps approved by apple for carplay can be used - waze and google earth were added only recently, spotify has been available for a while
Right but since Spotify and Maps are streaming services, where would the data pull from? If phone, then it's pretty much like having your phone mounted to one of the vents in terms of "functionaliy", right?

Car play would be the only option where you could just plug the phone in while stored in your center counsel and watch Waze and Spotify etc, actually show up on the Android unit.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:04 PM

Merryway product page for F-Type app

Still can't find any screen shots of the climate zoning or dynamic setup

Jaguar F-TYPE ,,JAGUAR,Shenzhen Merryway Technology Co., Ltd.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jaggyx
Right but since Spotify and Maps are streaming services, where would the data pull from? If phone, then it's pretty much like having your phone mounted to one of the vents in terms of "functionaliy", right?

Car play would be the only option where you could just plug the phone in while stored in your center counsel and watch Waze and Spotify etc, actually show up on the Android unit.
yep from your phone data, just like the oe carplay system

the benefit is being able to have waze on the 10" inbuilt screen, rather than having to use a mobile phone mount - it's a much cleaner solution

Old 11-07-2018, 10:46 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking how do you ur car with resistance touch or capacitive touch

Originally Posted by malbec
Not understanding why there could be a difference for lhd and rhd?
Also if it’s Android how come Apple CarPlay is available?
Can it link to iPhone?
How to know if present screen is resistive or capacitive?

we can vevify the sscreen by this file, if possible, just remobe your dashboard , an u can see the flat cable conntors, in upper location, its capacitive , in the side location, its resistance touch .

The following 3 users liked this post by Jenny:
billqs (04-24-2019), Carbuff2 (11-08-2018), malbec (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Jenny
Hi , guys, Jenny here, thats our factory which made this F type android system and made this video. I am surprised that you guys found this video, I can answer all your question. just contact me as free.

Jenny
Jennytang@sz-mrw.com
Whoa...I missed this post!

Old 11-08-2018, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Jenny

we can vevify the sscreen by this file, if possible, just remobe your dashboard , an u can see the flat cable conntors, in upper location, its capacitive , in the side location, its resistance touch .

Jenny! how much are you guys charging for this system? I asked someone else at another site and they were charging 1800usd for this....

Quick Reply: The Definitive Android 10.25” Retrofit Thread