F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Destroyed a stock SVR

Old 05-15-2018, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by FType17
I suggest you take a look around in the F-Type Facebook groups... There are also videos of 60-120mph against a hellcat and the V6S wins several times.
Nah, I spend too much time on various forums as it is. I'll wait for someone to post some 575+hp v6 dyno results.

Cheers,
Dave

Old 05-15-2018, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by DPelletier
Ditto; I've never heard or seen a V6 Jag with 575+ HP; details please. :-)

Dave
It's certainly possible and could be done for racing purposes. As mentioned, would require larger SC, ported and polished everything, forged and shot peened everything, redesigned cams, 14 to 1 compression, massive engine and SC cooling, VP Purple, no cats, and twisting to 9000+ rpm. Zero drivability on the street. But why do that if there's a perfectly good V8 suited for the job putting out the same power with more torque without having to spend $50k+ on an engine build?

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
DPelletier (05-16-2018), John Jones (05-16-2018)
Old 05-15-2018, 07:19 PM
Received 236 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
It's certainly possible and could be done for racing purposes. As mentioned, would require larger SC, ported and polished everything, forged and shot peened everything, redesigned cams, 14 to 1 compression, massive engine and SC cooling, VP Purple, no cats, and twisting to 9000+ rpm. Zero drivability on the street. But why do that if there's a perfectly good V8 suited for the job putting out the same power with more torque without having to spend $50k+ on an engine build?
Now there you go introducing logic to someone's online "I know a guy with this much horsepower" competition.

The following users liked this post:
John Jones (05-16-2018)
Old 05-15-2018, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Chawumba
Now there you go introducing logic to someone's online "I know a guy with this much horsepower" competition.

True. Never said I bought it. Just said it's possible. What would be the point? A lot cheaper to go out and buy an SVR and a VAP tune. (Sorry...having another logic attack).

Old 05-15-2018, 09:09 PM
Received 240 Likes on 167 Posts

Unhinged.... that is nonsense. The only accurate part is the supercharger swap (no porting needed) and no cats. The compression ratio doesn't need to be that high at all and you forgot that there is plenty to bore in the V6 (up to 3.7L without changing the crankshaft). And it's a bit less than $50K, more like $41K. The car remains very driveable too. The cams also can stay, head rework, deck honing etc. and of course water/meth injection. You also need to add, transmission upgrade pack to 900NM, Also, runs happily on 95 octane thanks to water/meth.

Anyway, yes, the V8 is so much better ;-) ;-)

Last edited by FType17; 05-15-2018 at 09:14 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts

Unhinged.... that is nonsense. The only accurate part is the supercharger swap (no porting needed) and no cats. The compression ratio doesn't need to be that high at all and you forgot that there is plenty to bore in the V6 (up to 3.7L without changing the crankshaft). And it's a bit less than $50K, more like $41K. The car remains very driveable too. The cams also can stay, head rework, deck honing etc. and of course water/meth injection. You also need to add, transmission upgrade pack to 900NM, Also, runs happily on 95 octane thanks to water/meth.

Lots of speculation on your part regarding what it would take to get to the equivalent HP of a v8 so no real content to this prose as there is no practical difference between a $50K "guesstimate" and a $41K "guesstimate" in additional costs/premium. Adding that to a base unit makes the entire premise fantasy.

Agreed, v8 wins EVERY TIME because in the real world you can also theoretically do all those same tuning things to a v8

Old 05-15-2018, 11:37 PM
Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

Not sure if trolling..

Can you just provide links to what you’re referring to so that the rest of us can read/watch an F-Type with this setup?

Old 05-16-2018, 03:04 AM
Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts

Or you can get an V8 and build that engine. That would be more exciting to see an 750hp+ v8.

Old 05-16-2018, 05:48 AM

No you CANNOT push the V8 to that level of boost (22psi+) safely
No you cannot bore a V8 further

Internal testing at JLR shows that the V8 is good to 750hp at best due to limitations such as crankshaft, block and heads design and thermal integrity.
No it's NOT a guestimate in price, when you see something as precise to the $1K perhaps there is a reason.
NDABunka, you are in the Official Jaguar F-Type owners Club North America on Facebook... Videos of that car are plentiful from ripping a Hellcat and for 190mph runs...Rumor has it that one V6 car in this forum is in the 500/530hp range from this forum too (Punisher). with a lot lower end mods. The last one I am not 100% sure but based on the mods done it's very possible.

Expecting that someone wants to be copied is pretty silly, maybe they should post the part numbers needed as well..
Tuners keep their secrets and maybe they share a dyno sheet to those that want to spend the money to do it. Other than that, those that do get to have a blast and the satisfaction to tear up the track. There is no glory in posting their work just to have a bunch of people throwing negativity their way.This thread is proof of that.

Besides, I know personally that Stuart at VAP has told someone that wanted such work done that they can handle it in collaboration with an engine building shop near them. Ultimately this person had the work done but did not use VAP just because of their time schedule and not for any other reason (nothing negative about VAP). I know what his engine bench dyno tests are like,so yes he can beat an SVR even one with tune and pulley.What I hope people get out of this thread is that if someone wants to spend enough money on their V6, they can get a lot out of it and it's not to be underestimated. It probably makes no financial sense to some but there are V6s in the 500 and 600hp range, some will even add NO2 (dry) for a 75hp cheating gain.

Now the negativity will continue...

Old 05-16-2018, 06:00 AM
Banned
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

No you CANNOT push the V8 to that level of boost (22psi+) safely
No you cannot bore a V8 further

Internal testing at JLR shows that the V8 is good to 750hp at best due to limitations such as crankshaft, block and heads design and thermal integrity.
No it's NOT a guestimate in price, when you see something as precise to the $1K perhaps there is a reason.
NDABunka, you are in the Official Jaguar F-Type owners Club North America on Facebook... Videos of that car are plentiful from ripping a Hellcat and for 190mph runs...Rumor has it that one V6 car in this forum is in the 500/530hp range from this forum too (Punisher). with a lot lower end mods. The last one I am not 100% sure but based on the mods done it's very possible.

Expecting that someone wants to be copied is pretty silly, maybe they should post the part numbers needed as well..
Tuners keep their secrets and maybe they share a dyno sheet to those that want to spend the money to do it. Other than that, those that do get to have a blast and the satisfaction to tear up the track. There is no glory in posting their work just to have a bunch of people throwing negativity their way.This thread is proof of that.

Besides, I know personally that Stuart at VAP has told someone that wanted such work done that they can handle it in collaboration with an engine building shop near them. Ultimately this person had the work done but did not use VAP just because of their time schedule and not for any other reason (nothing negative about VAP). I know what his engine bench dyno tests are like,so yes he can beat an SVR even one with tune and pulley.What I hope people get out of this thread is that if someone wants to spend enough money on their V6, they can get a lot out of it and it's not to be underestimated. It probably makes no financial sense to some but there are V6s in the 500 and 600hp range, some will even add NO2 (dry) for a 75hp cheating gain.

Now the negativity will continue...
Lol say what. This reminds me of the "my v6 killed a cobra" threads from the mustang forums a decade ago

Old 05-16-2018, 09:52 AM
Received 12,722 Likes on 6,373 Posts

Hi John Jones,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums!

I note that you have made a number of posts, including For Sale listings, but you have not yet posted a required introduction. Please visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST and share something about yourself and your Jaguar so we can give you a proper welcome.

Cheers,

Don

Old 05-16-2018, 10:10 AM
Received 236 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by John Jones
Lol say what. This reminds me of the "my v6 killed a cobra" threads from the mustang forums a decade ago
^^^ THIS! It really gets tiring for those of us that had to endure this tripe decades ago. Take it to a dodge or ford forum.

My 3 cylinder Yugo with titanium sleeves overbored to 600 cu. in. with 5 turbos smoked a 911 turbo on 87 octane.....

Old 05-16-2018, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Yep; my thoughts as well. Anything is possible if you spend enough money; I've seen a VW bug run in the 8's LOL.

Unless you are racing in a class that limits you to 6 cyl or a certain displacement, I'm not sure why you'd bother though as you can get any of the V8 F types to 605hp for $1k and about 20 minutes of your time.

We can all go back and forth with this but until we see a dyno chart it's all just wind.

2 cents,

Dave

FType17 (05-16-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 10:40 AM
Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

You can tune any engine to be hugely power, I had a Golf R, I could tune that to 600HP and destroy any F-Type V6 or V8, but did I, no because guess what I don't want a 4 cylinder car, sounded rubbish even if it was silly fast.

I drove the V6S, V8S and SVR, once I'd driven a V8 I simply had to have a V8 and I wanted a car that sounded incredible and went bonkers fast out the box with a warranty.

If I went V6 I would had to tune it immediately to get any kind of satisfaction and then I'd be looking at making serious power not just the usual 450HP or so from bolt-ons and as such I'd end up spending a lot of money and doing something not many have done and in the long run, I'd still rather have the V8.

Both cars are great, but your either a V6 or V8 guy, I am a V8 guy and for me it has to be the V8, even if it was easy to make the V6 go quicker than a V8 and not a lot of money, I'd still buy the V8.

I'd also still buy the SVR, I wanted the halo model, the rare one, the one with the silly big wing and all the respect and sense of occasion that comes with own a super special and super rare car.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts

... It probably makes no financial sense ...
I think you are saying that the $41K figure does have foundation & knowing your background I fully believe you. What I am saying is that spending $41K or $50K (why not throw another $9K at it at that point) is pointless IMHO as it make no financial sense but perhaps a multi-millionaire wants a v6 so that they can track it in a restrictive class and therefore it would make sense... to them.

FType17 (05-16-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by ndabunka
I think you are saying that the $41K figure does have foundation & knowing your background I fully believe you. What I am saying is that spending $41K or $50K (why not throw another $9K at it at that point) is pointless IMHO as it make no financial sense but perhaps a multi-millionaire wants a v6 so that they can track it in a restrictive class and therefore it would make sense... to them.
You certainly nailed it. Racing against V8 means cars close to 900hp (many Vettes come to mind). And the F-Type V8 just cannot get there but the 6cyl has more manageable competition. Still the car remains very streetable.

Old 05-16-2018, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Gibbo205
You can tune any engine to be hugely power, I had a Golf R, I could tune that to 600HP and destroy any F-Type V6 or V8, but did I, no because guess what I don't want a 4 cylinder car, sounded rubbish even if it was silly fast.

I drove the V6S, V8S and SVR, once I'd driven a V8 I simply had to have a V8 and I wanted a car that sounded incredible and went bonkers fast out the box with a warranty.

If I went V6 I would had to tune it immediately to get any kind of satisfaction and then I'd be looking at making serious power not just the usual 450HP or so from bolt-ons and as such I'd end up spending a lot of money and doing something not many have done and in the long run, I'd still rather have the V8.

Both cars are great, but your either a V6 or V8 guy, I am a V8 guy and for me it has to be the V8, even if it was easy to make the V6 go quicker than a V8 and not a lot of money, I'd still buy the V8.

I'd also still buy the SVR, I wanted the halo model, the rare one, the one with the silly big wing and all the respect and sense of occasion that comes with own a super special and super rare car.

Ditto on the Golf R quite an impressive fun car. I respect your reasoning.

Old 05-16-2018, 02:28 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Should be fairly simple to post a vid of said V6 F-type ripping the Hellcat... Sounds pretty bad-*** and I'd love to see it, but hard to believe without seeing it, as I'm sure you understand.

Old 05-16-2018, 03:09 PM
Received 821 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Gibbo205
The only advantages of upper pulley is price and the fact you don't need to tune for it.

Yes and no... you can fit the upper pulley and the car will run fine, but it will only gain a little low end power.

On your SVR (and the 'R') the electronic bypass valve in the charger is set to bleed off boost at 13psi. So adding the upper pulley will make more power up until the point the boost hits 13psi and then it will bleed off any excess.

In point of fact, the car is mechanically capable of 15psi of boost, on the stock pulley just by shutting the bypass valve via ECU Tuning.

Adding the upper gets it to 16.5psi, the crank to 18.5psi.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

DJS (05-16-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 03:27 PM
Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
Yes and no... you can fit the upper pulley and the car will run fine, but it will only gain a little low end power.

On your SVR (and the 'R') the electronic bypass valve in the charger is set to bleed off boost at 13psi. So adding the upper pulley will make more power up until the point the boost hits 13psi and then it will bleed off any excess.

In point of fact, the car is mechanically capable of 15psi of boost, on the stock pulley just by shutting the bypass valve via ECU Tuning.

Adding the upper gets it to 16.5psi, the crank to 18.5psi.

Thank you, when I do this I shall literally just go with the lower pulley, uprated intercooler and your tune I think, based on that with 18.5psi what theoretical power am I looking at, 650HP?

Does the Project 8 600PS tune allow the full 15psi of boost then to hit the magic 600PS number or did they do it via fuelling and spark adjustments.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Destroyed a stock SVR