Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A detailed list of all mods done...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
This is an internally inconsistent part of your argument. The first few people that replied in this thread provided their commentary on your modifications, and said something to the effect of "whatever floats your boat." To a third party, it seemed like your responses to that feedback were the ones out of proportion. I certainly didn't read the same amount of "emotion" in those comments as I did in your replies. I honestly don't understand why it became a problem. You like what you did. Some don't. So....what?

I certainly don't equate mixed feedback on cosmetic mods (which are decidedly personal) to a closed vibe on this forum. I've found this place tremendously helpful in getting to know the car, and have had many "newbie" questions answered by people who know way more than I do.

What you've done to your car is much less visually jarring than a former poster (sold his car and moved on) who had neon orange stripes and decals everywhere. He was well received and seemed to have consistently positive back-and-forth with everyone, despite a similar number of "fans" of his artwork.
Post a link. I'd like to see that.

And by the way, I apologize if I'm painting with a broad brush, to those who don't fall into the category I describe certainly know who they are and certainly aren't bothered by my observation. I try to contribute a lot on here because I love my car and have something in common with you. I enjoy most of what happens on here. Just hope it becomes even better moving forward.

And thanks - I think - for not thinking that my car is as visually jarring as one with neon orange stripes buddy. I'll file that away as a baby step in the right direction.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 08-21-2016 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts
Old 08-21-2016, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj
You're in NOCAL, Lizzardo, I'd love for you to see the car in person and share your opinion. That's what we are here for. My soul isn't tied into my possessions to the point where i'd ever feel insecure about one's opinion, if fact i'd welcome the dialog.
I probably would have refrained from comment if I'd read through the whole thread. While I would not choose to do all you've done, the only thing I really dislike is the caliper covers (but I've got a brake fetish). Nothing you've done is permanent, and easily reversible next weekend. Or today, if you've a mind. Or not, if that's your inclination. Hey, some people even think the Corvette is a good looking car. Insults don't hurt unless you accept them.

How's your car coming along by the way? Maybe you need to go for a drive in her since its been a while for you.
Yeah. I've been driving around in the Bar of Soap, aka Mr. Hippity's Pull-toy, the 1st. Gen Miata. It's white, and with the hard top really does look like a bar of soap. I've had that off and been enjoying the open air though. There's something to be said for that.

Maybe someday I'll get my car back. Latest word is "maybe by the end of the month."

Old 08-21-2016, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

I have a feeling you'll get no grief here because of your impressive resume and that will be enough to keep the mosquitos away. They'll bite their lips until blood begins to trickle because according to your cover letter, your assets are probably dancing circles around everyone on here. That'll be enough to insulate you.
Anyone who frequently makes the type of statements you made above is guaranteed to receive plenty of grief on any car forum. You've exhibited this type of behavior consistently since your arrival.

The following users liked this post:
SinF (08-21-2016)
Old 08-21-2016, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
Anyone who frequently makes the type of statements you made above is guaranteed to receive plenty of grief on any car forum. You've exhibited this type of behavior consistently since your arrival.
Yup, I said it. And stand by it. A little cringeworthy isn't it? Sometime when you delve into the human mind occasionally you uncover neat revealations.

Don't you have a Vette now?

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 08-21-2016 at 02:09 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

EDIT: Your original post would have been badge of honor, but you edited. Actually, it's not cringe-worthy at all considering the source. It is comical.

LOL . . . you didn't stand behind it.

Last edited by Foosh; 08-21-2016 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member

Less the gas cap and door handle, I actually like it. Who woulda thunk that though.

Thanks for sharing Nati, I hadn't seen this. I think the exhaust tips should match the calipers though (orange, orange and lose the striping. That would be stunning.

Attached Thumbnails A detailed list of all mods done...-2015_08_23_19_09_22_0f6730f3f5185fcf8ba631511a1be57f19ef03d5.jpg  

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 08-21-2016 at 02:11 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lizzardo
While I would not choose to do all you've done, the only thing I really dislike is the caliper covers (but I've got a brake fetish).
The caliper covers were bought for my XJ to keep brake dust off my white rims. I installed them on the F because I had them laying around and thought they might fit because they are the same brakes on both cars. For some reason though the clips that hold the covers on are squealing against the rotor. Since my wheels are black and the dust isn't nearly as much of an issue. I'll take them off today rather than try to diagnose the source of the squeal.

Old 08-21-2016, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

The caliper covers were bought for my XJ to keep brake dust off my white rims. I installed them on the F because I had them laying around and thought they might fit because they are the same brakes on both cars. For some reason though the clips that hold the covers on are squealing against the rotor. Since my wheels are black and the dust isn't nearly as much of an issue. I'll take them off today rather than try to diagnose the source of the squeal.
Once you pull the wheel and look at the cover I'd think that the spot it's been wearing should be pretty obvious.

Old 08-21-2016, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Once you pull the wheel and look at the cover I'd think that the spot it's been wearing should be pretty obvious.
Well it's just the metal spring clip lightly rubbing against one of the rotors edges. It sounds like a faint squeal when you coast slow. You'd have to be listening for it. Didn't wan't you to think I was being stubbornly reckless driving with a dangerous thing going on. But yea, they're coming off.

Old 08-21-2016, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

To be honest, all I do in say on here is to the purpose of opening up the culture to all that could get so much more from here. Does that make me a martyr of some sort? LOL
There's a bit of truth to what you say, but a less confrontational approach might net participants in this forum more acceptance of their ideas.
I can remember back in the beginning of 2015 when I approached the concept of tuning the V6, there was massive opposition with supposed "Jaguar insiders" proclaiming the car would blow up and burst into flames. News articles were even presented in support of that position, ignoring the fact that 2 recalls occurred to address the fires. They involved fuel line and some other issue totally unrelated to tuning. In all fairness, one of the instances may have indeed involved an improperly installed upper supercharger pulley.
I chose to remain quiet on the subject of tuning until I had some hard evidence to post regarding the benefit of a tune. Now a number of folks are choosing to follow suit. Just because we choose a more civilized approach to discussion than owners of other marques (known for being 2JJ0H22A), doesn't mean we can't get as much accomplished.

Last edited by Unhingd; 08-21-2016 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
There's a bit of truth to what you say, but a less confrontational approach might net participants in this forum more acceptance of their ideas.
I can remember back in the beginning of 2015 when I approached the concept of tuning the V6, there was massive opposition with supposed "Jaguar insiders" proclaiming the car would blow up and burst into flames. News articles were even presented in support of that position, ignoring the fact that 2 recalls occurred to address the fires. They involved fuel line and some other issue totally unrelated to tuning. In all fairness, one of the instances may have indeed involved an improperly installed upper supercharger pulley.
I chose to remain quiet on the subject of tuning until I had some hard evidence to post regarding the benefit of a tune. Now a number of folks are choosing to follow suit. Just because we choose a more civilized approach to discussion than owners of other marques (known for being 2JJ0H22A), doesn't mean we can't get as much accomplished.
Well said.

And further you were never in mind when I made my observations. I always thought your input was always "gentlemanly". You contribute more than anyone else here so I guess it would be natural to think it could have been a reflection on you in some way. It wasn't. Having this discussion publicly is always a positive thing. Others who read it will feel more involved and those who do little to make this a better place will read what people seem to want here.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 08-21-2016 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

Polaris, mods are like significant others. Some are obviously desireable and others take a more specific taste. Men are visual and some just can't stand to see something that isn't their vision, which I can't understand. I think it's about having a plan (which can be fluid as it evolves) and not changing things just because.

I've noticed that we as people tend to spend our money for the joy of either being the same or different. Depends on the person which camp they go into. You are in the different camp. You remind me of another gentleman (Philhef) on the XF side. Always pushing the boundaries. He's a little less cantankerous though, which you shouldn't take as an insult. You have strong feelings and let people know about them. It is a forum and everyone has a choice what opinions they value.

Now to the specific topic. I like most of your mods and I especially agree with the rear splitter. I also like that you're questioning why you can't change the exhaust tip color. Even though murdered out is not my thing, I cringe every time I see a completely blacked out car with chrome exhaust tips. I think "just finish it off please!" There is a continuity that good designs have. As you pointed out on the orange stripe car, those orange accents (of course without the handles or gas cap) with the orange calipers would provide an interesting take. I wouldn't do it, but I'd appreciate it. I saw a Ferrari 599 on Mecum yesterday that was white with red accents and I have also seen the new Porsche Carrera R, and while it wouldn't choose that, I see what they were trying to achieve and respect it.

With that in mind, on yours I would get the calipers and tips powdercoated the exact same color of either red or black. If you are thinking Ferrari crackle red, I'd definitely buy some cheap tips for guinea pigs. Not sure how it would look, but would be interested in seeing it in person. Definitely out of the box. Might be awesome though.

If you go red, I'd peel the tint off the taillights. Then you'd have a more cohesive design with multiple areas tying together. I would also figure out where the guy who designed his F-Type to look like an Aston got his monochrome badging and go that direction.

And in the vein of my comments earlier, take my suggestions to heart or don't give a ****. I'm good either way. I enjoyed creating this reply and it filled in 10min of my day that I didn't have anything else slotted in to do.

Last edited by 2010 Kyanite XFR; 08-21-2016 at 05:24 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
Polaris, mods are like significant others. Some are obviously desireable and others take a more specific taste. Men are visual and some just can't stand to see something that isn't their vision, which I can't understand. I think it's about having a plan (which can be fluid as it evolves) and not changing things just because.

I've noticed that we as people tend to spend our money for the joy of either being the same or different. Depends on the person which camp they go into. You are in the different camp. You remind me of another gentleman (Philhef) on the XF side. Always pushing the boundaries. He's a little less cantankerous though, which you shouldn't take as an insult. You have strong feelings and let people know about them. It is a forum and everyone has a choice what opinions they value.

Now to the specific topic. I like most of your mods and I especially agree with the rear splitter. I also like that you're questioning why you can't change the exhaust tip color. Even though murdered out is not my thing, I cringe every time I see a completely blacked out car with chrome exhaust tips. I think "just finish it off please!" There is a continuity that good designs have. As you pointed out on the orange stripe car, those orange accents (of course without the handles or gas cap) with the orange calipers would provide an interesting take. I wouldn't do it, but I'd appreciate it. I saw a Ferrari 599 on Mecum yesterday that was white with red accents and I have also seen the new Porsche Carrera R, and while it wouldn't choose that, I see what they were trying to achieve and respect it.

With that in mind, on yours I would get the calipers and tips powdercoated the exact same color of either red or black. If you are thinking Ferrari crackle red, I'd definitely buy some cheap tips for guinea pigs. Not sure how it would look, but would be interested in seeing it in person. Definitely out of the box. Might be awesome though.

If you go red, I'd peel the tint off the taillights. Then you'd have a more cohesive design with multiple areas tying together. I would also figure out where the guy who designed his F-Type to look like an Aston got his monochrome badging and go that direction.

And in the vein of my comments earlier, take my suggestions to heart or don't give a ****. I'm good either way. I enjoyed creating this reply and it filled in 10min of my day that I didn't have anything else slotted in to do.
This is the most useful response I have read to date. It is thoughtful, insightful, as well as thought provoking.

To be honest, I told the painter to use a flat red but for some reason he cleared over it. It's not fire engine but it does have a sheen that I was against. Just like manifolds, I'm with the thought that soft Ferrari flat wrinkle paint is the correct red for an exhaust system. That is the direction I'm going with as it relates to this aspect of the project. I may even hit my manifolds while I'm at it as I plan to remove the heat shield. If I hate it, I'll just go wrinkle flat black or Polaris white, one of the two. Anything but chrome for me.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 08-21-2016 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

This is the most useful response I have read to date. It is thoughtful, insightful, as well as thought provoking.

To be honest, I told the painter to use a flat red but for some reason he cleared over it. It's not fire engine but it does have a sheen that I was against. Just like manifolds, I'm with the thought that soft Ferrari flat wrinkle paint is the correct red for an exhaust system. That is the direction I'm going with as it relates to this aspect of the project. I may even hit my manifolds while I'm at it as I plan to remove the heat shield. If I hate it, I'll just go wrinkle flat black or Polaris white, one of the two. Anything but chrome for me.
Glad to be of service. And red is a tough color to get right. So many variations and base tones to deal with. That's why I'd buy something to do mock ups with. Will save you a lot of grief and time without the car.

Last edited by 2010 Kyanite XFR; 08-21-2016 at 09:44 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I like clear bra, it help protect the paint from chips.

Old 08-22-2016, 02:50 AM
Veteran Member

Oh snap. That's a bonus.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 08-22-2016 at 06:38 AM.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:30 AM
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Wait a second I like the C7, and think it is a nice looking car. Drives nice too! As I have said I am at the been there, done that (and forgotten most of it) stage of my life when it comes to cars, I tend to do a little less to each new one I get, but I do appreciate what others like to do to make their car special to them.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:42 AM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

Dude, I hate 9/10 of what you did with the car... but good for you for making it yours!

Old 08-22-2016, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

Oh snap. That's a bonus.
It's not a bonus. That's the primary function of a clear bra. Why else would you get one?

The following users liked this post:
SinF (08-22-2016)

Quick Reply: A detailed list of all mods done...