Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   F-Type ( X152 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/)
-   -   Dieting the f type? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/dieting-f-type-168020/)

no401k 08-22-2016 07:45 PM

Dieting the f type?

Now that we have confirmed and accepted the fact that the f types have a fair bit of weight on them:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...hassle-161094/

what are some of the easier dieting strategies?
I understand this is a somewhat luxurious sports car with a lot of comfort features which we probably dont want to eliminate, so what are some of the easy items to upgrade for the sake of weight? Already there's no spare, no back seats to remove...

anyone know the weight of the 20" factory wheels? switching out with a set of forged monoblocks (5k-8k) weighs about 22-25lb each.

lightweight battery?

probably dont want to touch the factory exhaust since it sounds amazing

ek993 08-22-2016 08:33 PM

Removing unsprung weight will give you the biggest bang for your buck in terms of handling improvements, suspension response and feel. Having said that, not sure how heavy the stock rims are - and how much room there is to reduce weight.

Philly Single 08-22-2016 08:46 PM

CCW TS12 18" wheel set. Each weighs 18.2lbs - total savings over OEM 20s is about 60lbs or rotating weight.

Def dump the factory exhaust. OEM setup is 62.8lbs - Quicksilver is 39.6

I'm getting a local place to make me a titanium exhaust that honestly...will probably weight 20lbs WITH mufflers.

Between the 18's and a titanium exhaust...probably at 100lbs, 60 of which is unsprung weight :D

no401k 08-22-2016 08:56 PM

hmmm the exhaust can make or break a car...especially for the f type in which the exhaust is such a substantial part of its character (at least initially until you start to mod every part out). It's great to know there's weight saving opportunity in the exhaust department, but that's probably a long decision for folks (quality of sound, cost, loudness, ability to quiet it down, interior drone level etc.).

talking about removing unsprung weight, the carbon ceramic brakes probably help some but is crazy expensive...

Unhingd 08-22-2016 09:17 PM

Weight savings:

20" ESE CF wheels (15# each) 76 lbs total.
SVR titanium exhaust ~35 lbs
Lithium Ion Battery 30 lbs

Total ~141 lbs (~$13k)

There's probably another 10-20 lbs of engine cover, carpet mats, trunk compartment lids you could toss as well. Don't forget yanking the seats for a pair of light weight racing buckets. You could use those instead for boat anchors (over 100 lbs per pair).

Want to keep going?: Toss the 12 (or whatever number) speakers with the associated magnets and amplifiers. Per many of our forum members, the OEM system is worthless anyway. Then swap all of the airbags and pressure charges with a couple sets of good 6 point harnesses. Those airbags are just for sissies anyway. There's another hundred pounds ;)

Philly Single 08-22-2016 09:45 PM

^^^this made my night.
Don't forget to fill the tires with Helium.

SinF 08-22-2016 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd (Post 1521314)
Weight savings:

Total ~141 lbs (~$13k)

I don't think this is money well-spent. For $13K you can get well-used, but still working track car with a cage already in it.

carnut1 08-23-2016 05:52 AM

When I bought my 39th Porsche (it was supposed to be my last so I went big), I took it apart 24 hours (I mean totally apart), it took a year and a half to put back together (minus the stuff I had no use for and making the stuff I did lighter). In the end I had a car with 600hp that weighed under 2500lbs with no traction controls that I had spent somewhere around 275K to buy and build. To Porsche dealers it was a kit car, to my ex wife (who thought it must be worth a fortune since it was a one of a kind) it was a major disappointment (turns out the car was essentially worthless to anyone but me). Eleven years later it sits in one of my garages (driven on occasion too loud for my girlfriend and you do feel every pebble on the road my kids don't like it either) and it comes out(only has 16K miles on it) when I am the only one going to be driving it when weather permits. Point of the story I had bypass surgery (was the 1000th patient of the local hospital robotic team made the news) almost 3 years ago (would not be here right now if I had not) afterwards I lost 57lbs (that was enough to change the feel of a lot of things), so these days I buy 30" skinny jeans. Now for the moral of the story the F type is as much or more a luxury car than it is a sports car, drive a miata or a lotus then get back in the f type you will understand what I mean. I agree with the changing of the wheels (I am doing it myself in the spring (will use the blade wheels for All season when I drive the car in colder temps), mostly to change the feel in the steering (made a huge difference in my 650 coupe), but all this other stuff forget it. If you want a lightweight car, you bought the wrong car, and take it from someone who has done what I have done It's not worth it!!!!! If you are a bit overweight and need an excuse to loose some, perfect excuse, it will make you car feel faster. It will have the same effect as most of what is talked about here none.

DJS 08-23-2016 09:36 AM

Also swap out the driver for a lighter version.

polarisnavyxj 08-23-2016 10:18 AM

And I bet not a single one of you with coupes opted for the lightweight carbon roof in the first place.

lizzardo 08-23-2016 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj (Post 1521661)
And I bet not a single one of you with coupes opted for the lightweight carbon roof in the first place.

I did not. I wanted the aluminum roof, but the previously optional glass roof became standard and the standard roof became unavailable. While the car is definitely more GT than sports, I ended up with more weight than I wanted because of that type of packaging. I find it annoying that even though I special-ordered the car, I could not order a la carte on options.

DPelletier 08-23-2016 01:05 PM

I'm with Carnut; there is no easy way and if you wanted light, you bought the wrong car.

To spend $$$$$'s to lose 20, 50 or even 100 lbs on the car seems silly to me but to each their own.

Remove the 2nd battery (if you have one), the tow bar, the tire pump, owner's manual and floormats, maybe the engine cover......and that's about all you can do without spending a small fortune.

Next up; expensive forged rims.....but not very good lb/$ ....same with the Carbon Ceramic brakes.

Look at what JLR did to try to lighten an F type (AKA the Project 7), remove the roof mechanism, different seats, Carbon brakes, Ti exhaust etc.

Short of gutting the car (as Unhingd mentioned) by pulling out the seats, stereo, etc. there is only so much that can be done.

Yeah, most would be much farther ahead by stepping away from the buffet!

2 cents,
Dave

F-typical 08-23-2016 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj (Post 1521661)

Mine came with the lightweight aluminium roof - for free...

F-typical 08-23-2016 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd (Post 1521314)
Weight savings:

Total ~141 lbs (~$13k)

There's probably another 10-20 lbs of engine cover, carpet mats, trunk compartment lids you could toss as well. Don't forget yanking the seats for a pair of light weight racing buckets. You could use those instead for boat anchors (over 100 lbs per pair).

Want to keep going?: Toss the 12 (or whatever number) speakers with the associated magnets and amplifiers. Per many of our forum members, the OEM system is worthless anyway. Then swap all of the airbags and pressure charges with a couple sets of good 6 point harnesses. Those airbags are just for sissies anyway. There's another hundred pounds ;)

I think the "wingbacks" might be more like 100lb each - based on the observation that they were a two-man lift across the workshop...

Carbon ceramics would be a useful up sprung weight reduction too.

You forgot the power tailgate. :)

polarisnavyxj 08-23-2016 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by F-typical (Post 1521794)
Mine came with the lightweight aluminium roof - for free...

Isn't the carbon lighter?

F-typical 08-23-2016 02:25 PM

Quite possibly in percentage terms. But, given that the roof panel isn't structural, how much does an empty Coca Cola* can weigh?

* Other beverages are available...

polarisnavyxj 08-23-2016 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by F-typical (Post 1521831)
Quite possibly in percentage terms. But, given that the roof panel isn't structural, how much does an empty Coca Cola* can weigh?

* Other beverages are available...

They offer it for a reason. If it makes no difference in reducing the center of gravity as they claimed somewhere in the brochure, then whats the purpose other than to see "the weave".

In the brochure all they say is "lightweight" without giving any comparison or detail of what that means is why I ask.

http://www.jaguarusa.com/all-models/.../exterior.html

I'm not quite getting your Coca Cola analogy because in that reference, you're making the point that the beverage itself is what contains the weight, not the packaging. In this case we know carbon fiber is light but the packaging (the extra weight needed to mount the CF roof) is being assumed to add back the weight that the carbon saves which would make this option purely cosmetic. I think your analogy is arguing the opposite.

I know in other cars, such as the BMW M's, specifically the M3 with a CFR to name just a few, I know for sure the carbon roof saves 11 lbs and indeed lowers the center of gravity 2" according to someone who asked this question there.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260477

"Carbon Fiber Is More Than Skin Deep The M3 and M4 flaunt a clear-coated carbon-fiber roof (unless you screw up the weight distribution by ordering a sunroof). On the coupe, there’s also a hybrid roof crossmember featuring carbon fiber bonded to steel end pieces that are welded to the body. As with Lamborghini’s Forged Composite, the roof bow uses short strands of randomly placed carbon fiber pressed together, rather than the woven into sheets. The M4’s trunklid is a combination of low-density sheet molding compound and a carbon-fiber-reinforced sheet molding compound. At the opposite end of the car, you’ll find a sexy, boomerang-shaped carbon-fiber brace connecting the front strut towers to the radiator support. (An aluminum brace connects the towers to the firewall.) Because of carbon fiber’s stiffness and damping characteristics, the prop shaft from the transmission to the differential is one piece, eliminating the center carrier bearing of the old steel two-piece unit. The total assembly saves 11 pounds. M has made a serious investment in using the light and strong composite material and yet . . ."

As said, taking this weight off the highest point of the car makes for the best improvements to the handling. So for anyone grumbling about the weight could have started here assuming this option saves at least some weight up top. Jag would have a difficult time calling this a "lightweight option" if it wasn't any lighter, legally.

F-typical 08-23-2016 03:27 PM

No, it's exactly what I'm saying. Unless I mis-read that, in which case...

All three roof panels (aluminium, carbon and glass) are - apparently - dealership replaceable parts. This makes sense given that glass shatters.

Hence, not structural, so the difference is purely price,weight and perceived value.

So: you mentioned that the carbon roof was lightest. It might be, but the aluminium option doesn't weigh much to start with. Both are substantially lighter than the glass roof and associated electric motors. The aluminium roof came free with my car - maybe it doesn't look as good as the other two, but I'm thinking that it's more cost effective as a weight saving...

Mulmur 08-23-2016 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by F-typical (Post 1521858)

All three roof panels (aluminium, carbon and glass) are - apparently - dealership replaceable parts. This makes sense given that glass shatters.

Hence, not structural, so the difference is purely price,weight and perceived value.

So: you mentioned that the carbon roof was lightest. It might be, but the aluminium option doesn't weigh much to start with. Both are substantially lighter than the glass roof and associated electric motors. The aluminium roof came free with my car - maybe it doesn't look as good as the other two, but I'm thinking that it's more cost effective as a weight saving...

My 2015 R has the aluminum roof and I prefer it to the glass roof due to the way it looks.. at least to me.
I believe in 2017 you can again order with the aluminum roof.

Anyway, to reduce the weight of the F appreciably, Jaguar would have to shave ounces off the majority of the parts in order to come up with a total saving that is significant ... I was told that Porche and some other brands approach weight in this way.
It would be tough to reduce weight on a car already built to its current spec... if you have the spare you could take it out and just store the pump and gunk, along with the other suggestions already mentioned.
Lawrence

polarisnavyxj 08-23-2016 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by F-typical (Post 1521858)

Ahh, so your assumption is that the carbon roof is lighter than the pano but not the aluminum. I'll buy that for a nickel. I also guess it would stand to reason that only the pano out of the three available would have a system for the moonroof which would have to weigh say at the least 40 lbs for the system.

I was actually comparing the carbon to just the pano which everyone on here has. So assuming the carbon is say 10-15 lbs lighter along with the moonroof system delete that drops another 40lbs up top....Thats really significant. Oh my!

If you have a vert, yes you did buy the wrong track car.