Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 03:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 337 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Dilemma

Buy a new 2015/2016 model S Coupe with 5 years factory warranty in Norway or...

Buy a second hand 2014 model R Coupe (registred 04 2014) with 7.700km with 3 years factory warranty (imported from Germany) in prestige conditions.

The price is exactly the same and both is with more or less all options included.

My intention is to use the car as a "summer car" and keep it for a long time. I will only do aprox. 6-8.000km a year with it.

Any thoughts on "pro and cons"?

Old 04-08-2015, 05:52 AM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Can't you test drive both and decide? They are dramatically different cars.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Arne
Any thoughts on "pro and cons"?
I've been trying to determine what makes the V6 and V8 variants of the F-Type so different as to create separate groups of enthusiasts for each. The two cars are truly two different cars appealing to two different groups of people.
Those contemplating the R are frequently comparing it with AMGs, Lambos, Masers, Mclarens, topline Porsches, Aston, all rarified cars in the supercar class that are mostly for show and speed and have focused on performance, many at the expense of the driving experience.
Those purchasing the V6 models are in it for the driving experience, and discussing it in context with the lesser Porsches, the S2000, the last RX7 and other sports cars no longer made. At 150 -300 pounds lighter, it turns in more quickly, requires more skill to maintain speed through the turn and offers the engaging experience of the manual transmission to those so inclined.

Super car or Sports car:The 7000 km should not stand in the way of you making the right choice for yourself.

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
Arne (04-08-2015), Foosh (04-08-2015)
Old 04-08-2015, 06:34 AM
Veteran Member

The problem is that there are no R Coupes in Norway that I can test drive (no convertibles either). I don't even think there are any R sold yet, and the dealers have only the S as a demo-car. Jaguar have never sold well in Norway, so people buy premium Porsche, Mercedes or BMW instead.

We have huge BHP and CO taxes in Norway, so a new R is very expensive. But when imported second hand one year old from Germany, the reduced price and tax reduction makes an R affordable.

But I will have to do the import my self, and it's a bit long to travel to Germany for just a test drive.....

And just to give you some price examples:

A new basic R coupe starts at $ 240.000,- (NOK 1.900.000,-)
A new basic S coupe starts at $ 163.000,- (NOK 1.300.000,-)

Old 04-08-2015, 06:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lhoboy
I've been trying to determine what makes the V6 and V8 variants of the F-Type so different as to create separate groups of enthusiasts for each. The two cars are truly two different cars appealing to two different groups of people.
Those contemplating the R are frequently comparing it with AMGs, Lambos, Masers, Mclarens, topline Porsches, Aston, all rarified cars in the supercar class that are mostly for show and speed and have focused on performance, many at the expense of the driving experience.
Those purchasing the V6 models are in it for the driving experience, and discussing it in context with the lesser Porsches, the S2000, the last RX7 and other sports cars no longer made. At 150 -300 pounds lighter, it turns in more quickly, requires more skill to maintain speed through the turn and offers the engaging experience of the manual transmission to those so inclined.

Super car or Sports car:The 7000 km should not stand in the way of you making the right choice for yourself.

Some good comments and thoughts here.

I am really strugling to make up my mind about this, as I most probabely will have to make a choice based on others comments/feedbacks and experiences, as I will not get the chance to test drive both versions myself.

I used to drive sportbikes (900-1000cc) for many years (23), and I have missed the feeling of having lots of power available even though I seldom used it (other than when being on the track).

But the extra agility of the lighter S is also something that appeals to me.

The good thing is that I am pretty shure I will be very satiesfied whichever version I end up With, so in that regard I am not too worried I will make a wrong choice - as I don't think there are any wrong choices here.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:49 AM
Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

having lots of power available even though I seldom used it (other than when being on the track).

the extra agility of the lighter S is also something that appeals to me.

Here you go - you've pretty much summed it up yourself (in a rather simple way)

I personally enjoy the V8 power, even if it means a few more pounds. I honestly feel the added weight isn't that big of a deal, unless you are competing on a racetrack every weekend.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 250 Likes on 139 Posts

That's rubbish, Lhoboy - a bunch of rash, sweeping generalizations, predicated on your opinions of the motivations of a bunch of buyers you've never met or even surveyed. Spare us the armchair psychology - stick to sharing your own personal experience (or lack of it until your car arrives), and don't presume to speak for my buying motivation or personal driving experience, or those of the other R owners.

You're just wheeling out the same old tired "V6 drivers are the real purists, and manual drivers even more so" argument that just got closed down in another thread.

I would suggest you have no actual evidence you can cite about faster turn ins, and no basis for your assessment of more skill required to maintain speed through a turn (in fact, it should be easier with a lighter car). You're just making that all up to suit your own position.

Arne - buy the R. You will be glad you did. It's as agile as hell, especially with adaptive damping. The extra weight argument is totally irrelevant with all the extra horsepower under the bonnet. And if you want to save some weight, get some carbon ceramic brakes.

I've now got 5,500 kms of personal experience with the R to back up my opinion, with several hundred km's of particularly spirited and aggressive mountain sessions to test the handling, and my daily work drive to test the civil side of the R - I have loved every single kilometer of it, and that is said without the tiniest bit of exaggeration or speculation.

The following 3 users liked this post by OzRisk:
Joz132 (04-08-2015), LynxFX (04-08-2015), swajames (04-08-2015)
Old 04-08-2015, 09:11 AM
Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by OzRisk

That's rubbish, Lhoboy - a bunch of rash, sweeping generalizations, predicated on your opinions of the motivations of a bunch of buyers you've never met or even surveyed. Spare us the armchair psychology - stick to sharing your own personal experience (or lack of it until your car arrives), and don't presume to speak for my buying motivation or personal driving experience, or those of the other R owners.
Props to you, Oz - you've just articulated my very feelings, as I was reading his post.

Nicely done!

The following users liked this post:
OzRisk (04-08-2015)
Old 04-08-2015, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

You have to decide for yourself, which is more important:

A. The additional power the R provides
B. Having a car no one else has owned

That's not a lot of miles of basically a year's ownership, unless all of those were at the Hockenheimring. However, there is something to be said for having a car that no one else has had a chance to "Be Bad In". In the end, you need to determine which is more important "for you". I doubt you'll be unhappy either direction.

As for the warranty difference, I wouldn't really worry about that too much. People put a lot of false hope with warranties. Warranties are only valid when something fails before it's predetermined life span under normal driving conditions. Car manufacturers have gotten very creative in coming of with ways around warranty claims unless it's something major like a complete engine failure.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

I like you Oz, but that was a little rough.

Perhaps the generalizations were a little broad, but I do think he made a good point about the V6 and V8 models appealng to a different demographic and comparison set.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:20 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,064 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Buy a second hand 2014 model R Coupe (registred 04 2014)...
I believe that would be a 2015 model - 2014s were only convertibles, unless the model years somehow work differently in Europe.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:39 PM
Tel
Received 232 Likes on 143 Posts

You only live once....R

From actual driving experience on track (Millbrook), and on the roads of Britain, the only REAL differences between the V6 and the V8 is a) the soundtrack and b) the sheer grunt that the V8 has over the V6.
Anything else posted is most probably spouted by people that are far too easily swayed by certain numpty Top Gear presenters ;-)

As for front end weight argument - The difference is barely noticeable.

For me - I would rather have bags of power and hardly have to use it all, than thrash the t!ts off an engine to get my thrills. I found myself using most of the V6's power and this in turn was surprisingly evident in the MPG under 'normal' road driving conditions!

Old 04-08-2015, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

You're just wheeling out the same old tired "V6 drivers are the real purists, and manual drivers even more so" argument that just got closed down in another thread.

I would suggest you have no actual evidence you can cite about faster turn ins, and no basis for your assessment of more skill required to maintain speed through a turn (in fact, it should be easier with a lighter car). You're just making that all up to suit your own position.

My...oh...my! Did your dog just die?

Old 04-08-2015, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the feedbacks everyone. It did help to point me in one direction.

It is a very individual choice, and what is most right for some, is not neccesserely most right for others - and there is no absolutely right and absolutely wrong.

When buying an F-type no matter which model, it is a choice taken as much with your heart as with your head - and this time I chose to lissen to my heart.

And for once having a car with the kind of power the R delivers is something I need to experience at least once in my life ;-)

Thanks again everyone - and be kind :-)

Old 04-08-2015, 03:18 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

Go for the R, it is an incredible machine.

Old 04-08-2015, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member

My...oh...my! Did your dog just die?
Both my dogs are fine, thanks for asking.

Last edited by OzRisk; 04-08-2015 at 04:52 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:53 PM
Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh

Perhaps the generalizations were a little broad, but I do think he made a good point about the V6 and V8 models appealng to a different demographic and comparison set.
+1

Old 04-08-2015, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh

No, Foosh, he did not make a good point at all. He presented no evidence for his assertions that would legitimately assist the OP's query.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

No, Foosh, he did not make a good point at all. He presented no evidence for his assertions that would legitimately assist the OP's query.
I don't think I saw any "evidence" on this thread, just opinions.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:50 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Get the R if you don't mind it being used. I chose the V6S based on it being more quiet in the mornings on startup and "not being able to use all the power in the V8". Now I wish I got the V8. At least mine is a lease so in a few years I can fix my mistake.

Quick Reply: Dilemma