F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do all dealers not give out loaner cars?

Old 10-13-2018, 11:52 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by majororange
Sorry if I brought this thread back from the dead, but today I left my F-Type with the dealer to (hopefully) fix the subwoofer crackles. However, I was told they do not offer loaner cars to owners who bought their car somewhere else. Left kind of a bad taste in my mouth. They will arrange an Enterprise loaner, but I don't need to go into why it's subpar. I can definitely attest Porsche does not do this (I called their corporate line and asked).
I also bought mine used from a non-Jag dealer, but have never had that response. Find a different dealer if you can, or you could try complaining to corporate and see what they say.

Old 10-13-2018, 03:26 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

Dealer experience is the single worst thing about owning a jaguar. I got so fed up with my xf a few years ago that I sold it ... yet the Ftype pulled me back. A new dealership opened near me and the service is somewhat better. However, last time I went in, one of the two service advisors was trying to fix a stapler for no more less than 15 minutes while the other adviser was dealing with a line of people. It was one of the oddest things I have ever seen at a dealership. I was in a rush, as I unfortunately frequently often am, and was another few minutes away from oferrring to buy him a stapler if he did his job. The only other experience with the dealer was when I had a hood issue with the Ftype. One side wasn’t latching, they told me to come in, I get there 30
minutes later and the Ftype tech isn’t in on that particular day. No one else would look at it and told me to come back tomorrow. I don’t have time for that! I got home and turned the bump stop for the hood twice and the problem was solved. I own this car in spite of the dealer experience. If I start needing to see then more than once a year it will be gone.

Old 10-13-2018, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by approx

I also bought mine used from a non-Jag dealer, but have never had that response. Find a different dealer if you can, or you could try complaining to corporate and see what they say.
i suspect the problem is a lack of corporate oversite. My Audi’s and bmws always got me in brand loaners regardless of where I bought and serviced. Jag has been 50/50.

Old 10-13-2018, 05:58 PM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

Definitely your dealer. Closest dealer to me (didn't buy it there) will get you an Enterprise down the st if they are out of loaners. The dealer I took it too 1.5 hrs away (also didn't buy it there) gave me a Disco for the two weeks it was in. Luck of the draw I guess...

Old 10-13-2018, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts

Sorry if I brought this thread back from the dead, but today I left my F-Type with the dealer to (hopefully) fix the subwoofer crackles. However, I was told they do not offer loaner cars to owners who bought their car somewhere else. Left kind of a bad taste in my mouth. They will arrange an Enterprise loaner, but I don't need to go into why it's subpar. I can definitely attest Porsche does not do this (I called their corporate line and asked).
The dealers are not obligated to give you a loaner car it is a courtesy. Next time you will consider purchasing from your local dealer. Why should you be treated the same as one of their loyal customers. In the end it is a business they are running.

Old 10-13-2018, 11:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 209 Likes on 186 Posts

Our maserati dealer only started to use loaners last year, in emercency would rent a car for us. This is a dealer that sells aston, rolls bentley anf ferrari! I bought my jag out of state and have always been give a loaner, a LR or Jag. Always schedule a head!

Old 10-14-2018, 04:58 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,382 Likes on 1,049 Posts

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
The dealers are not obligated to give you a loaner car it is a courtesy. Next time you will consider purchasing from your local dealer. Why should you be treated the same as one of their loyal customers. In the end it is a business they are running.
But if your local dealer doesn't have the car you want you get it where you can. However, to put off someone who's done that from subsequently becoming a loyal customer is not how to run a good business.

The following users liked this post:
Jaggyx (10-14-2018)
Old 10-14-2018, 06:23 AM
GGG
Received 16,747 Likes on 12,140 Posts

..... I was told they do not offer loaner cars to owners who bought their car somewhere else. ......
This must be an example of the renowned American customer service.

For a comparison with the English equivalent, my XK came from a JLR dealer in Ascot, Berkshire which is 300 miles away. The vehicle has been with my local JLR dealer for the past week for a warranty claim and there was no question about a loaner. It was offered without me even having to ask as also happened when the same vehicle went in for service two months ago. The loaner is a new XE which had 24 miles on the clock when I took it.

In contrast, I had a breakdown in Spain last month 1300 miles from home with a failed injector. Absolutely no chance of a loaner from the JLR Dealer there. Fortunately my breakdown insurance covered a hire car for the duration of the repairs.

Graham

Old 10-14-2018, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,635 Likes on 3,358 Posts

My dealer will always try to place me in a JLR product (I think it's a bit much to expect an F-Type), but will always ask if the offering is acceptable. If a JLR product is not available the service manager will apologize and offer me a later appointment date or ask if an Enterprise car is acceptable. I consider this great service. Generally, my schedule is worth more than the type of car I have to drive around for a few days, particularly since I have other fun vehicles to drive. Besides, they only offer AT vehicles which are always a boring experience for me, regardless of model.

Old 10-14-2018, 08:29 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

That's because Jaguar supplied loaners and the number of loaner days avail based on the sales of Jaguars the previous year. The standard is to make sure you can supply loaners to those who purchased cars from you before using them for those that did not. Even then many dealers run out of loaner car day reimbursements before the end of the year. It is very important to closely monitor and use your loaners and rental cars wisely as it comes right out of budget. Rentals come right out of a service advisors pay tied into gross revenue. And I didn't even mention the misuse and having a rental bill that ate of more money than the profit on the repair was. Cant stay in business long if you have more money going out than in. Well unless youre the government.

The following users liked this post:
JgaXkr (10-15-2018)
Old 10-14-2018, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
This must be an example of the renowned American customer service.

For a comparison with the English equivalent, my XK came from a JLR dealer in Ascot, Berkshire which is 300 miles away. The vehicle has been with my local JLR dealer for the past week for a warranty claim and there was no question about a loaner. It was offered without me even having to ask as also happened when the same vehicle went in for service two months ago. The loaner is a new XE which had 24 miles on the clock when I took it.

In contrast, I had a breakdown in Spain last month 1300 miles from home with a failed injector. Absolutely no chance of a loaner from the JLR Dealer there. Fortunately my breakdown insurance covered a hire car for the duration of the repairs.

Graham
lmao Damn Graham, You're in the UK where Jags are like Fords here.

Old 10-14-2018, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Brutal
That's because Jaguar supplied loaners and the number of loaner days avail based on the sales of Jaguars the previous year. The standard is to make sure you can supply loaners to those who purchased cars from you before using them for those that did not. Even then many dealers run out of loaner car day reimbursements before the end of the year. It is very important to closely monitor and use your loaners and rental cars wisely as it comes right out of budget. Rentals come right out of a service advisors pay tied into gross revenue. And I didn't even mention the misuse and having a rental bill that ate of more money than the profit on the repair was. Cant stay in business long if you have more money going out than in. Well unless youre the government.
Fact remains that the only brand I have ever had this problem with is Jaguar ....

Old 10-15-2018, 06:08 AM
scm
Veteran Member

You're in the UK where Jags are like Fords here.
Only the X-Type, surely?

Seriously, in the UK, only Fords are like Fords, although I think more people are coming to realise that the bad old days of Jaguar unreliability are long gone, and the numbers are increasing.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:03 AM
GGG
Received 16,747 Likes on 12,140 Posts

lmao Damn Graham, You're in the UK where Jags are like Fords here.
You'd be surprised at how few Jaguars I see on the road. Unlike me, not many owners's use the two door models as DD's.

Graham

Old 10-15-2018, 09:12 AM
scm
Veteran Member

I agree you don't see many two door models about, but that's partly because sales are low - not many have our good taste! I see plenty of XFs, Xjs and XEs about my locality, though nowhere near as many as <spit> Fords.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:11 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by caviarjag

fact remains that the only brand i have ever had this problem with is jaguar ....
and i imagine one of the smaller production niche car manufactures too you have had.

Old 10-15-2018, 12:32 PM

and i imagine one of the smaller production niche car manufactures too you have had.
But unlike ferrari, Aston and the others, Jaguar aspires to not be a niche brand. Can’t have it both ways. Expectations are different between a mainline brand and the niche brands.

Old 10-15-2018, 02:24 PM
scm
Veteran Member

Jaguar is a "bridge" brand.

Old 10-15-2018, 02:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

JLR dealers are independently owned and operated, under a franchise agreement with daddy JLR. I called the corporate line and was told exactly that, they can't compel dealerships on loaners. Also - if my initial message left the impression I am expecting an F-Type as a loaner - I get that you encounter all sorts of characters online, but come on.... Funnily enough, they did give me a JLR loaner the first time I showed up for warranty work. Perhaps they don't like that I only show up with warranty work. Ah well!

On a slightly related note, I will probably be forced to switch dealers anyway, as my closest one appears to be unable to fix my speaker rattles.

Old 10-15-2018, 02:40 PM
scm
Veteran Member

When I bought my nearly new F-Type and it went in for a module change they gave me a 4-pot convertible as a loaner. British customer service, eh?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do all dealers not give out loaner cars?