Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   F-Type ( X152 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/)
-   -   Do we own the last great Gas Jaguar? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/do-we-own-last-great-gas-jaguar-220268/)

PolkNole 07-09-2019 11:54 AM

Do we own the last great Gas Jaguar?

https://autoweek.com/article/green-c...icle2-readmore

fuzzysquid 07-09-2019 12:23 PM

I can't wait for more electrics to come to market. I'm not really interested in crossovers or SUVs, but eager to see what the new BMW 4 series will be like. I don't know why there's so much hand-wringing among car people... I remember Clarkson in a review of the V12 Vantage from SIX years ago being all doom and gloom about it surely being the last gas powered Aston, and... it wasn't.

And even if it was, I don't see how that would stop anyone from collecting classics or future classics. I want awesome, innovative new stuff as much as I want an idiotic carbureted death machine from the 60s ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tork Monster 07-09-2019 12:31 PM

Highly likely, in my opinion anyway.
Jaguar can't continue using the AJ-V8 and meet increasing emissions and gas mileage requirements, and they don't have the resources to develop a new one in-house.
They have a choice: to outsource a more efficient V8, like BMW's twin-turbo 4.4 litre, or expand the use of their own electric platform from the I-Pace.
I believe they will read the writing on the wall and go full speed ahead with the electric platform.

One reason I bought my F-Type...

DJS 07-09-2019 12:46 PM

Looking forward to the I-6 turbo/super Ingenium.

Unhingd 07-09-2019 12:49 PM

Question

How do you Tune an electric car? I really don’t want to go back to school to get an electrical engineering degree.

fuzzysquid 07-09-2019 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd (Post 2096398)
How do you Tune an electric car? I really don’t want to go back to school to get an electrical engineering degree.

The same way you tune our car?

Unhingd 07-09-2019 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by DJS (Post 2096394)
Looking forward to the I-6 turbo/super Ingenium.

How about a stroker X-12? Enough room left over for massive cooling. Forget the AWD.

I’ll go back on my meds now.

scm 07-09-2019 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tork Monster (Post 2096385)
Jaguar can't continue using the AJ-V8 and meet increasing emissions and gas mileage requirements ...

And also because their contract with Ford's Bridgend plant ends next year. :(

WJV 07-09-2019 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by fuzzysquid (Post 2096378)
And even if it was, I don't see how that would stop anyone from collecting classics or future classics. I want awesome, innovative new stuff as much as I want an idiotic carbureted death machine from the 60s ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Eventually I have a feeling there will be a movement towards either taxing gas/diesel powered vehicles (or the fuel itself) so high, that owning & running one wouldn't financially make sense. Or, they outright ban the vehicles from the roadways, just like they're starting to roll out in the UK in the next 30 years. Witnessing a scenario like this playing out would be heartbreaking for any car enthusiast. I have no desire to own an electric or hybrid vehicle, ever.

Luc Lapierre 07-09-2019 03:44 PM

I like the idea of near-instant torque that electric cars purport to offer.

I'd take that over turbo lag any day.

BruceTheQuail 07-09-2019 04:22 PM

I dunno. I like electric for the XJ and iPace but in a sports car? No noise and no gears. I tend to think that electric for a sports car is like having sex by yourself. Sure it might be quicker, quieter, and cleaner, but it is kind of missing the point.

fujicoupe 07-09-2019 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail (Post 2096500)
I dunno. I like electric for the XJ and iPace but in a sports car? No noise and no gears. I tend to think that electric for a sports car is like having sex by yourself. Sure it might be quicker, quieter, and cleaner, but it is kind of missing the point.

"We listen to the engine to hear what's cookin'
But the electric car ain't got no soul."
Apologies to the Dixie Chicks

jaguny 07-09-2019 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd (Post 2096398)

"You can tune a guitar, but you can't tune no electric car"

jaguny 07-09-2019 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by WJV (Post 2096466)
Eventually I have a feeling there will be a movement towards either taxing gas/diesel powered vehicles (or the fuel itself) so high, that owning & running one wouldn't financially make sense. Or, they outright ban the vehicles from the roadways, just like they're starting to roll out in the UK in the next 30 years. Witnessing a scenario like this playing out would be heartbreaking for any car enthusiast. I have no desire to own an electric or hybrid vehicle, ever.

I believe the oil/gas lobby, the Saudi's and others will have a small bit of influence. Have already I'm sure.

PolkNole 07-09-2019 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by jaguny (Post 2096529)
"You can tune a guitar, but you can't tune no electric car"

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...bf64d9c46.jpeg

OzXFR 07-09-2019 07:58 PM

Yes.

MV Rider 07-10-2019 10:21 AM

I predict the great new electric XJ will be a gigantic sales flop in the United States. It will be what it is, an overpriced commuter car instead of the high speed long distance touring car that it is supposed to be.

vika01 07-10-2019 11:44 AM

What do you mean? The next F-type will still be petrol....

Sean W 07-10-2019 12:40 PM

Sorry boys, the last great gas powered Jaguar was already built. The X150, and not even close. :icon_dance-cpatch:

eeeeek 07-10-2019 01:19 PM

I'm not convinced battery electric is where autos need to be. Perhaps Fuel Cell or something else, but batteries have a lot of dirty little secrets...