F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Dr. Phil In The House!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 08:35 AM
Received 136 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Is Dr. Phil In The House!

This article was printed on the CBS site...

The researchers looked at more than 1,000 men and found that owning a luxury sports car made men more desirable to women - but only as a date. Men who pursued this strategy tended to be interested primarily in short-term sexual relationships, the study found, and it looks like women caught on. The women the authors interviewed said they believed men's splashy spending meant they only wanted uncommitted sex.

In this way, the behavior of the guys with flashy cars mimics that of a peacock that flashes its feathers to attract mates, according to the study, published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology.

"People may feel that owning flashy things makes them more attractive as a relationship partner," said study co-author Daniel Beal, an assistant professor of psychology at Rice University. "But in truth, many men might be sending women the wrong message."

Old 02-21-2018, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

Due to an unanticipated divorce, I found myself single at 45 years old.....after doing the dating thing for some time, I can tell you unequivocally that how much money a guy has (and the trappings that illustrate it) are the number one "attractor" ....I found myself avoiding meetings at my home and driving my pickup.

Anyhow, this is a humerous take on the situation, but it's only funny because of the kernel of truth it contains!

Dave

Old 02-21-2018, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Tahoe Dave

The researchers looked at more than 1,000 men and found that owning a luxury sports car made men more desirable to women - but only as a date. Men who pursued this strategy tended to be interested primarily in short-term sexual relationships, the study found, and it looks like women caught on. The women the authors interviewed said they believed men's splashy spending meant they only wanted uncommitted sex.

In this way, the behavior of the guys with flashy cars mimics that of a peacock that flashes its feathers to attract mates, according to the study, published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology.

"People may feel that owning flashy things makes them more attractive as a relationship partner," said study co-author Daniel Beal, an assistant professor of psychology at Rice University. "But in truth, many men might be sending women the wrong message."
I can show you tons of other studies that demonstrate the exact opposite conclusion....From my perspective, I buy cars for myself...I guess that makes me selfish. I make myself happy. That seems to work out in the end.

The following users liked this post:
Don1954 (02-23-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

Not interested in a attracting a mate and getting married. Like fun, travel, sex too much.

Car is for me only - my personal enjoyment. Could care a less about using it as a lure.

Car = fun. Relationships and Marriage = No fun. I knew by age 16 that marriage was never for me. In 2018 if you want that and are using the Jag as a lure, I pity the fool.

Last edited by Burt Gummer; 02-21-2018 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

The hot crazy video is greatly flawed and not true. Men cope with being less attractive by believing if they can tell jokes and be confident or thicken their wallet they will be on par with attractive men.

Not true. Women are every bit as shallow as men. If you want to attractive women, spend your money on a plastic surgeon and not on a car.

This is the best YT channel on the topic.

Last edited by Burt Gummer; 02-21-2018 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:52 PM
Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Tahoe Dave

A car will turn my head a million times faster than a man - sorry fellas
Originally Posted by DPelletier
Due to an unanticipated divorce, I found myself single at 45 years old.....after doing the dating thing for some time, I can tell you unequivocally that how much money a guy has (and the trappings that illustrate it) are the number one "attractor" ....I found myself avoiding meetings at my home and driving my pickup.

Anyhow, this is a humerous take on the situation, but it's only funny because of the kernel of truth it contains! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WITBBVLAMkQ

Dave
You are 100% correct - I know of several where the chick is 'in it' only for the money.......................................One of those crazy Facebook quizzes said I was a Unicorn..............................

Originally Posted by Cherry_560sel
I can show you tons of other studies that demonstrate the exact opposite conclusion....From my perspective,my I buy cars for myself...I guess that makes me selfish. I make myself happy. That seems to work out in the end.
Absolutely correct!!
Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
Not interested in a attracting a mate and getting married. Like fun, travel, sex too much.

Car is for me only - my personal enjoyment. Could care a less about using it as a lure.

Car = fun. Relationships and Marriage = No fun. I knew by age 16 that marriage was never for me. In 2018 if you want that and are using the Jag as a lure, I pity the fool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqAFqcBLEfk

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
The hot crazy video is greatly flawed and not true. Men cope with being less attractive by believing if they can tell jokes and be confident or thicken their wallet they will be on par with attractive men.

Not true. Women are every bit as shallow as men. If you want to attractive women, spend your money on a plastic surgeon and not on a car.

This is the best YT channel on the topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xAbIG5s0-o&t=8s
Very true, unfortunately!

Old 02-21-2018, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

I think guys are much more into sportscars than girls. I was once asked whether my XKR attracted the attention of women and my response was "not really, but I could have my pick of 40 year old guys".

I have had quite a lot of attention given by women to the f type, which I largely put down to the colour (IRR).

On the whole though, my observations would be that most women who are into selfies with the car badges to be put up on facebook to make their friends jealous would be much more impressed by a porsche or benz badge than a jaguar one (far higher recognition). Generally speaking while the f type might look awesome driving up, it is a mission for women to get out of them and not elegant at all, so if most had a choice between a low slung sports car like the f type or a big black 600 SEL, they'd take the benz - leaving the challenges associated with the sports car to something really worthy, like a ferrari.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

I was able to latch on to my best friend/companion of 40+ years with knowing how to use all the functions on my HP-27 (and while owning a crappy Mustang II). If I had something like an F-Type at the time, she would have shunned me like the plague. Tolerates my car habit (but barely). I wouldn't have it any other way. Like the Washington Post tagline says...If you don't get it, you don't get it.

Old 02-21-2018, 11:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts

Interesting thread and interesting take by some of the responses. They think they are arguing the opposite of the original findings but they are actually re-enforcing them with their statements. There are tertiary effects related to driving ANY high-line car so regardless of your awareness, the affect is the same.. SOME (not all) women will be attracted. Some may want a one-night fling but others may be seeking security and money IS security. Some may think you are a "tool" and thought they may act as if they don't like it but many are actually into the bad boy type sometimes those turn into marriages.

I've been happily married for 26 years & have owned numerous high performance sports cars over that time so none were acquired with any intention of attracting the opposite sex. That's what a 38-foot Formula is for...LOL

Last edited by ndabunka; 02-22-2018 at 12:49 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:33 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,065 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I was able to latch on to my best friend/companion of 40+ years with knowing how to use all the functions on my HP-27...
Everyone knows, women love Reverse Polish Notation...

Old 02-22-2018, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Everyone knows, women love Reverse Polish Notation...
That’s what she said! lol

Old 02-22-2018, 04:00 PM
Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

Dr. Phil is a hack and the study is flawed.

SinF (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 04:52 PM
Received 156 Likes on 85 Posts

I met the love of my life ~6-years ago. I was driving my customized 300 SRT8... a gangster pimp-mobile turn-off to any women over, like 18, for sure. But it didn't kill the attraction, the chemistry was right, and she liked cars.
I bet though, she wouldn't have dated me if I was driving a Prius (she hates Prickus')

Spring Festival, Irvine CA

It has just gotten better and better, and she totally LOVES the F-Type.
I have found that expensive, fast cars are usually a turn off to any lady worth seeing. The only car that had an overall positive effect was my 1966 Thunderbird... everyone loved that car.
I was headed to buy a Z06 Vette, which she really liked, but I could tell she liked the F-Type more. I ran across the right deal, and have never regretted the choice.

I certainly have never bought any car to be more attractive to women. Women read that and avoid you like the plague (except young bimbos and manipulating gold-diggers)

Last edited by Tork Monster; 02-22-2018 at 04:55 PM.
Burt Gummer (02-24-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 05:11 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i buy a car because it's what I desire. And could care less if it impresses anyone else or not. I have a wife of 22+ years, the relationship just keeps getting better (no lie!) and we're both car nuts. So much for the "red devil with 4 wheels" theory...

The following 2 users liked this post by 1BlinkGone:
SinF (02-22-2018), Tork Monster (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 08:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

When I was looking at F-type, my wife asked if I am sure I want to spend that much on a car. I told her it was cheaper than having an affair. She agreed. Now I am starting to look at 911 GT3 touring, I want to see if this argument flies again.

Tork Monster (02-22-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 10:34 PM
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

When we got married, my wife had a Corvette and I had a Volkswagen. I didn't marry her for her car ;-)). She loves the F-Type and occasionally wants to take for girl stuff...

Old 02-24-2018, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 187 Posts

I think there is a direct relationship between the price of the car and the effect it has on women. When i was single I would routinely hear about the ride and noise once they got over the car.