F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivers door handle won't pop open

Old 08-26-2018, 07:17 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Drivers door handle won't pop open

This morning I attempted to get in my car and the drivers door handle won't pop out with the key fob or pressing the button on the handle. The passenger side works find. Any ideas?

Old 08-26-2018, 07:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadstergal
This morning I attempted to get in my car and the drivers door handle won't pop out with the key fob or pressing the button on the handle. The passenger side works find. Any ideas?
As with anything else that goes wrong, first try a reboot by disconnecting the battery for 15 seconds. However, I had the same occurrence a while back and it required the replacement of some kind of door lock control module.

Old 08-28-2018, 02:40 PM

Dropped my car off at the dealer yesterday and just received a call stating that it needs a new door handle actuator. The problem is that they searched Jaguar dealer parts deparments and no one has one in stock. It will be two weeks before they get the part. First it was the telecommunication module that needed to be replaced, and my car was at the dealers for one week and now this. I just got this car a short while ago and it only has 1000 miles on it. I hope this isn't going to be a trend.

Old 08-28-2018, 03:56 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,062 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Shouldn't be, but I'd keep track of it all. There have been a couple of lemons reported here, but generally speaking, I think the F-types have been pretty reliable.

Old 11-17-2018, 11:28 PM
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Door handle problems

33,000 miles on my 2016 F-Type S Coupe and the passenger door handle won't permit me to manually lock or unlock it from outside. It took the dealer 1-week to disassemble the door and tell me I needed a new door handle. After waiting another 2-weeks for the part I was told that it would be yet another month before the part came in! In the meantime, the alarm beeps twice whenever I start the car. Sometimes the alarm beeps while I'm refueling the car or even driving along. Sometimes the passenger side window won't automatically raise all the way after closing the passenger door and, other times, the passenger side mirror won't retract when locking the car remotely. I've disconnected the ground to the battery a number of times to reset everything but that doesn't seem to work. The dealer says that the electrical gremlins are a result of the faulty door handle. I love the car but I never had any issues with Toyota, Lexus or Scion products. Then again, none of my 16 or so Toyotas have provided me the driving enjoyment that my F-Types have.

Old 11-18-2018, 12:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,130 Likes on 1,304 Posts

These random symptoms suggest that your battery is not producing sufficient voltage. Do you use a battery maintainer such as the CTEK when the car is not being driven regularly?

Old 11-18-2018, 06:11 AM

I had the same problem a few months ago on my 2018 that was only 4 months old at the time. They also took the door apart and discovered that I needed a new handle. I was told the part would take two weeks to come in, but it actually came in only one week. It ended up being that the door handle actuator was bad. It comes in as one unit which means that it has to be ordered in your car color. I got lucky that there was one available in my body color...

Old 11-18-2018, 10:12 AM
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Passenger’s door handle won’t close

Originally Posted by sov211
These random symptoms suggest that your battery is not producing sufficient voltage. Do you use a battery maintainer such as the CTEK when the car is not being driven regularly?
The car has been a daily driver since last Spring and, on weekends, I commute between Washington, DC and northern New England. The battery was replaced last Spring due to it having died during winter storage...something I didn’t have a problem with my 2015 F-Type S or XE. I now have a battery maintainer but haven’t yet put the car away for the winter months.

UNHINGD seems to know all the issues as well as solutions. He says that it is probably a door handle module and that’s what the Jag mechanic said.

As an aside, when living in Japan I learned that Toyota would actually find out who was on the assembly line installing the part and the contractor that manufactured the failing part. Contracts were terminated and/or assembly line workers were fined or worse. Quality steadily improved. Then again, that was 30-years ago. Things might have changed since then.

Old 11-18-2018, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ichi Ban
UNHINGD seems to know all the issues as well as solutions. He says that it is probably a door handle module and that’s what the Jag mechanic said.
I speak with the machines...a car whisperer.

The following 4 users liked this post by Unhingd:
Carbuff2 (11-18-2018), Mbourne (11-19-2018), Noshame (11-19-2018), scm (11-18-2018)
Old 02-24-2020, 04:15 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My car (2016MY) is doing the same; I am also told that I will need a new door handle...and it's going to be a while until I get one...

Old 02-24-2020, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 209 Likes on 186 Posts

Actually you will need a whole new assembly, only way sold. Mine wouln't close manually but still worked with key and inside switch. Only a sensor problem but not sold separetly. My car off of warranty but dealer got a VIP claim with Jag, they paid parts I paid labor. Parts about $450!

Old 02-24-2020, 10:11 PM

Yeah, my car is still under warranty so I believe I am all set with the entire assembly and labour. It's disappointing that this would fail with so early! Still love her though!

Old 02-25-2020, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Pard
My car (2016MY) is doing the same; I am also told that I will need a new door handle...and it's going to be a while until I get one...
It actually only took about 2 weeks to get mine in to the dealer and installed. The problem, I was told , was that they come from Jaguar already painted and because of that, they are not readily stocked.

Old 02-25-2020, 08:52 AM

I heard the same and I may have to wait longer because my part has to come out of the UK, when I guess this part normally comes out of China which of course has a coronavirus problem Also, they may actually have to paint mine locally because the color is not available...yikes!

Old 02-25-2020, 09:06 AM

Mine actually came from the UK, but my car is the Loire Blue. What color is your car? Yes, if they don't have any in the UK and it has to be shipped from China with all that is going on, I can see why it may take longer. I feel for you.

Old 02-25-2020, 09:11 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,382 Likes on 1,049 Posts

I don't think Jaguar sources that many parts from China, a lot comes from the EU.

Old 02-25-2020, 11:18 AM
Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Interesting. My door handle was the cause of my battery drain. I replaced the battery first. Yes, they are painted when they arrive. The first one was labeled passenger side on the box, but the part was driver's side. Another week goes by and the second handle arrives and is also wrong in the box. the next one was the wrong color, they painted it, didn't like the results. Then they thought, let's move the electrical parts over to the old handle, Problem solved. I can't fault them for thinking of this last because it didn't occur to me either.

Old 02-25-2020, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Pard
I heard the same and I may have to wait longer because my part has to come out of the UK, when I guess this part normally comes out of China which of course has a coronavirus problem
Not to worry: I don't think door handles are known carriers of the disease.

Old 02-25-2020, 02:50 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,382 Likes on 1,049 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Not to worry: I don't think door handles are known carriers of the disease.
Doesn't that depend on who touched it before you?

Old 02-25-2020, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 209 Likes on 186 Posts

My handle was painted locally. took 2 weeks all in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drivers door handle won't pop open