F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F Type from license plate help

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 07:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F Type from license plate help

Anyone able to help me figure out how to install the front license plate bracket that came with the car? I can’t find anything on google or YouTube.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:23 AM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts

Why would you want to defile the classy looks of your F-Type with a front plate? Do what my brother, who lives in Virginia, does and carry the plate in the car in case you're pulled over. He drives a Z06 and refuses to install the plate--says he'd rather pay the fine, but so far so good.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:46 AM
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts
Wink

I concur. Forgeddabout the front plate. I haven't run front plates on any of my 11 Jaguars, nor other vehicles for that matter. Never has been an issue. In fact, I still run the Dealer Paper Plates on such a beautiful ride. Makes me feel like it always looks new, others seem to think so too. And perhaps, just perhaps, the Gendarme might give me an occasional free pass on the off-chance I might have been in violation of some road rule. I do keep the current registration in the cubby box, and the plate in the boot -- just in case.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:51 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Sto N Sho

Take a look at the Sto N Sho front license mount.

STO N SHO 2013-2017 Jaguar F-Type

Old 05-25-2018, 09:54 AM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by F-Envy
Take a look at the Sto N Sho front license mount.

STO N SHO 2013-2017 Jaguar F-Type
I'm glad I don't live where we have a front plate, but if we did, I'd be all over this!

Old 05-25-2018, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,583 Likes on 856 Posts

Deleted. The man’s right! See #10

Last edited by RickyJay52; 05-25-2018 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
Another discussion we’ve had many times here already. Some jurisdictions appear to be much more aggressive in policing a front license plate - Maryland for example, or so we are told - and on the list of infractions, I would put lack of a front license plate near the bottom.

I concur that I’ve never had a front plate on any of my sports cars - in States which required one - and never had a problem and do believe it detracts mightily from the looks of the car. Of course I’m biased. Of course there are worse things than running with a front plate.

If you must have a front plate, the Sto n’ Sho seems to be the best way to go. Unless you’re Unhingd.
Yes, over the course of 6 years I received 2 primary citations (no other infractions) for lack of a front plate on my MINI. The Sto N Sho is definitely the way to go if you need the front plate. I went one step further with the Euro profile plate. Though definitely not legal, I have had several instances where those tags have attracted attention by the Gendarme, but they lost interest when they saw the matching rear tag.

Old 05-25-2018, 04:51 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,063 Likes on 1,369 Posts

I bought a tow hook mount, which I install once a year so I can pass the state inspection. Then I remove it. Bought it before the Sto-n-sho appeared.

Old 05-25-2018, 05:16 PM
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

So, Unhinged, do the Euro plates correspond to your Maryland registration?

And, Brian, with the DC "matters" perhaps a front plate would be prudent. Another F owner showed me his Show n Stow (for his trips into that rigid city by the SF Bay) and it was very slick. I try to avoid driving anything INTO that Danger Zone.

Old 05-25-2018, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks...but no help yet

I appreciate the time y’all took, but nobody helped with my question, which was how to install the plate bracket that came with the car. I wasn’t looking for opinions on the aesthetics of it. Not only is the plate supposed to be on by law (by the way, DC is a very liberal area and just love to find reason to give tickets), but the Easy Pass doesn’t work through the windshield of the Jags for some reason, so also getting attached to my front bracket is the license plate mounted Easy Pass.

So...does anyone have any experience putting on the bracket that came with the car?

Old 05-25-2018, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian D Haas
So...does anyone have any experience putting on the bracket that came with the car?[/left]
Sorry. I have the one that came with the car, but it's in storage. I might be heading to storage this weekend though, so can take a look. I'm pretty sure it requires self-tapping screws into the plastic of the crossbar in the grille.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Sorry. I have the one that came with the car, but it's in storage. I might be heading to storage this weekend though, so can take a look. I'm pretty sure it requires self-tapping screws into the plastic of the crossbar in the grille.
Yes, you are suppose to use 2 self tapping screws. Pre-drill the right size holes specified for the screw at the 2 tiny dimples in the bumper.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Yes, you are suppose to use 2 self tapping screws. Pre-drill the right size holes specified for the screw at the 2 tiny dimples in the bumper.
Sorry, no dimples. I was thinking about the dimples in my MINI bumper. You’ll just have to center the bracket with a tape measure.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,114 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Why bother with the mounting bracket?
As Steve says it probably requires self tappers into the crossbar, in which case it's easier, cleaner and waaaay better looking just to mount the number plate straight onto the crossbar using screws/self tappers.
That's what I have done as here in Oz as it is impossible to drive very far without a front number plate without immediately being pulled by the boys in blue and copping a huge fine, $500 or thereabouts. As you may be aware Oz is the speed camera capital of the Universe so the gummint insists you gotta have that plate so the speed cameras can take a happy snap of it.
At least in my case the mounting holes had already been drilled (for the previous plate) and I am able to get a slimline front plate which doesn't look too bad.
Same tip as with the rear plate - the crossbar is curved to you should gently bend the plate by hand so it fits nice and flat before you screw it on. Bend it just a little at a time, rinse and repeat until it is perfect.

Edit - I just looked it up - the fine for driving without a numberplate (either front or rear) in SA is $677.

Last edited by OzXFR; 05-25-2018 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Why bother with the mounting bracket?
As Steve says it probably requires self tappers into the crossbar, in which case it's easier, cleaner and waaaay better looking just to mount the number plate straight onto the crossbar using screws/self tappers.
He says he's also putting his toll transponder on the plate bracket. The screws might be a better bet. I don't know how big or heavy the transponder is, but losing that is probably an even bigger expense.

Old 05-26-2018, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Sorry, no dimples. I was thinking about the dimples in my MINI bumper. You’ll just have to center the bracket with a tape measure.
I looked for dimples on mine and didn't see any. My previous two cars did, spaced for a US-spec plate.

Old 05-28-2018, 12:43 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brian D Haas
Anyone able to help me figure out how to install the front license plate bracket that came with the car? I can’t find anything on google or YouTube.
Flip the factory bracket upside down, drill a hole in each side of the braket (not the car) and zip tie it to the grille underneath the bumper.

Old 05-28-2018, 02:01 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SGREENLYN
Flip the factory bracket upside down, drill a hole in each side of the braket (not the car) and zip tie it to the grille underneath the bumper.
That solution is certainly less destructive to the car and perhaps more aesthetic but will restrict a significant amount of cooling flow to the front radiators.