Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   F-Type ( X152 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/)
-   -   F type base or F type S? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/f-type-base-f-type-s-216722/)

IPMdoc 04-21-2019 06:07 PM

F type base or F type S?

Hi guys,
New to the forum here. I am looking at this used F-type coupe. Pre-Owned 2016 Jaguar F-TYPE Base 2D Coupe in Albany #4P763 | Maserati of Albany It is listed as an F-type base but there is an S badge on the back. Is this just a base that someone slapped an S badge on or is it really an S? Is there another way to tell besides the S badge? Thanks for your help.

OzXFR 04-21-2019 06:39 PM

It's a base that someone has stuck an S badge on the rear of.
Two easy ways to tell - no front S badge or badge holder, and it has the base 355 mm front brakes that no real S ever came with.

DJS 04-21-2019 06:40 PM

The VIN decoder (at the top of the forum, under tools) lists it as a base. My ‘14 S also has ‘S’ emblems on the front grill, and inside above the touch screen.

IPMdoc 04-21-2019 09:02 PM

Thank you! That's definitely helpful. I do like the brown leather and the wheels, they seem a bit different from the regular F type base wheels. I guess if I were to get it, I would ask about having that poser "S" removed haha

OzXFR 04-21-2019 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by IPMdoc (Post 2058810)
Thank you! That's definitely helpful. I do like the brown leather and the wheels, they seem a bit different from the regular F type base wheels. I guess if I were to get it, I would ask about having that poser "S" removed haha

The badge is easily removed, just warm it up a bit with a hair dryer to soften the glue then saw through the glue with a piece of fishing line or dental floss, and clean up the glue residue with your remover of choice and finally polish the area.
One more "tell" that I forgot is the front shock tops in the engine bay - every S came with adaptive suspension which has an electrical plug and wiring on top of each shock, the one in the ad doesn't have those plugs/wiring.

Chawumba 04-21-2019 10:34 PM

Or find an F type with a V-8 engine, then you don't have to worry about what badge is on it!

WJV 04-22-2019 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by DJS (Post 2058747)
The VIN decoder (at the top of the forum, under tools) lists it as a base. My ‘14 S also has ‘S’ emblems on the front grill, and inside above the touch screen.

Did they only do the 'S' badge on the interior trim near the center vents on the 2013/2014 models? My '15 doesn't have that, but does have everything else.

DJS 04-22-2019 10:43 AM

Yes, though it may have been an option to not have it. My MY17 brochure shows it; don’t have a MY15 or 16 brochure.

sov211 04-22-2019 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by WJV (Post 2059021)
Did they only do the 'S' badge on the interior trim near the center vents on the 2013/2014 models? My '15 doesn't have that, but does have everything else.

My fully optioned (absolutely fully optioned) V6S also does not have the S script on the vent panel (and I am very happy about that!). The vent unit is original, and this car has the interior "black pack" option, so that, perhaps might be the clue?

Unhingd 04-22-2019 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by sov211 (Post 2059081)
My fully optioned (absolutely fully optioned) V6S also does not have the S script on the vent panel (and I am very happy about that!). The vent unit is original, and this car has the interior "black pack" option, so that, perhaps might be the clue?

My MY'16 has the S on the panel just above the display. The 2015 Brochure shows the S on examples of the V8S, but no pics of the V6S interiors, so that's inconclusive.

SinF 04-22-2019 03:02 PM

My S also has this script, but if I recall vent "S delete" was an option in MY16. So it is possible someone ordered such as an option.

Interestingly, there are also some options that could be ordered only is some markets. One is all-metal pedals that I have seen in a parts bin on a factory tour. Another one is no memory seats F-type (i.e. F-type base in US is premium trim in UK).

Nati 04-22-2019 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by sov211

It's the black pack. Deletes the lettering on the center stack trim on both S and R models.

OzXFR 04-22-2019 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Nati (Post 2059245)
It's the black pack. Deletes the lettering on the center stack trim on both S and R models.

I beg to differ!
My S has the black pack and the S on the centre dash/console.
Edit - whoops, should have read closer, I assume you were taking about an interior black pack, I have the exterior black pack only and the "standard" interior.

sov211 04-22-2019 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Nati (Post 2059245)

thanks for confirming this -it makes perfect sense that its omission is related to the interior black pack option and as I wrote earlier, I am very glad not to have that S lettering on the vent panel. It is the only bit of interior trim on an F-Type that looks (to my eye) substandard -and unnecessary.

Unhingd 04-23-2019 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by sov211 (Post 2059295)
thanks for confirming this -it makes perfect sense that its omission is related to the interior black pack option and as I wrote earlier, I am very glad not to have that S lettering on the vent panel. It is the only bit of interior trim on an F-Type that looks (to my eye) substandard -and unnecessary.

+1. I stuck my iPhone mount right on top of the S.

IPMdoc 04-24-2019 10:33 AM

Thank you very much for your responses. So I shared with the dealer my reservations that it was actually an S (when I first checked out the car about a week ago, I asked the salesperson if it was actually an S and his response was, oh turns out you're right, it is!). At first, they tried to tell me that it was actually an S but the previous owner had just gotten a different options package to not have all the badges. I insisted that they check the original invoice, and they finally called back to say, well yes it is the base with the 340 hp but it does have a lot of extra features like the 19 in wheels, back up camera, heated seats, dynamic exhaust...
Thanks to your tips, I was able to stand my ground and not be convinced that it was really an S. Despite those nice features I couldn't go with it, it was just too much how they were a bit misleading. Plus, wasn't even CPO despite those low miles.

So I'm deciding to go with this one https://www.jaguarnorthhaven.com/inv...wa6at9g8k32841 . Maybe a bit more boring with just the 18 inch wheels and basic options package but I do like the extremely low mileage. It'll be my first time owning a Jaguar and I'm definitely looking forward to it!

Lani Kai 04-24-2019 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by IPMdoc (Post 2060107)
Thank you very much for your responses. So I shared with the dealer my reservations that it was actually an S (when I first checked out the car about a week ago, I asked the salesperson if it was actually an S and his response was, oh turns out you're right, it is!). At first, they tried to tell me that it was actually an S but the previous owner had just gotten a different options package to not have all the badges. I insisted that they check the original invoice, and they finally called back to say, well yes it is the base with the 340 hp but it does have a lot of extra features like the 19 in wheels, back up camera, heated seats, dynamic exhaust...
Thanks to your tips, I was able to stand my ground and not be convinced that it was really an S. Despite those nice features I couldn't go with it, it was just too much how they were a bit misleading. Plus, wasn't even CPO despite those low miles.

So I'm deciding to go with this one https://www.jaguarnorthhaven.com/inv...wa6at9g8k32841 . Maybe a bit more boring with just the 18 inch wheels and basic options package but I do like the extremely low mileage. It'll be my first time owning a Jaguar and I'm definitely looking forward to it!

That one really has ZERO options selected as far as I can tell - make sure you're really comfortable about the lack of rear visibility and not having the Vision Pack.

El Gato 04-25-2019 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by IPMdoc (Post 2060107)

IPM Doc - just sent you a PM

Suaro 04-25-2019 01:32 PM

To each his own, but I second Lani, a bare bones F-Type is truly something out of the automotive past. The lack of amenities can be very annoying. I would go with the options if it were up to me.

IPMdoc 04-28-2019 11:55 AM

So I finally bit the bullet and got it! I just couldn’t wait any longer. Yes it’s bare bones, but it’s actually a big step up for me, I’ve never had any car with an infotainment system so just the remote start with climate control is something else already! Maybe just having the basics will mean being a bit faster from the weight savings? :D

So far, it’s simply just a blast to drive! The engine is just so melodic and and it’s surprisingly comfortable. The low to the ground seating just cucoons you in so well.

It’s just such such a unique car where I live, where there’s the usual German marques like Porsche, Audi, BMW, Mercedes, as well as a ton of SUV’s but nothing like this.

I do note that paint chips seem to come rather easily if roads are less than stellar. I’m thinking I might need to get a clearbra eventually, I saw several threads here talking about that.

Thank you guys for all your help!​​​​​​​
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...a47507ae5.jpeg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...f1c19fcbb.jpeg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...ff4832be9.jpeg