Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F Type Base - poor seat controls and other random deficiencies

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 05:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F Type Base - poor seat controls and other random deficiencies

Hi All,

I bought a 2014 F Type Base with 6,400 miles on it in August 2018. I love the looks of the car, it has been mechanically sound, and I bought it certified for $42k which seemed reasonable for a vehicle priced at $70k new.

However, I am having some regrets on purchasing the base model. I'm hoping for any suggestions for improvement from the group. Since this is a base model, I understand many of you may not be dealing with these issues:

1. Seats - at first I thought it was just me but my seats only have two controls. One lifts the lower section of the seat forward and up in a weird diagonal direction and the other moves the upper section of the seat from slightly reclined to a full forward leaning position, I have never experienced such a limited ability to control seat position so any suggestions on improvement/modification?

2. No front or rear parking sensors - while I might understand no front parking sensors, I am amazed Jaguar would produce any car without at least rear sensors. Any idea if these can be added and what cost?

3. No garage door opener - same question as #2

4. No adjustment for ride setting - it is my understanding the base model does not have the dynamic ride setting adjustments that other F Type models have, What I find is a fairly harsh and stiff ride which is great for aggressive driving but a killer for long road trips. I have changed over to new Michelin Super Sport tires on 19 inch rims hoping for some improvement but unfortunately no significant difference. I don't want to diminish handling too much but I would like to calm the tooth rattling ride on bumpy roads. Is there any suspension adjustment that a dealer can make or is this it for the base model?

I love the looks but the above, in combination, are just not what a $70k car should deliver.. Are there reasonable fixes or should I consider trading up to a higher end F Type model?. I suspect this may be the reason this particular ride only had around 6000 miles over the five prior years.

Thanks to all for any feedback you can provide!

Old 01-04-2019, 01:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by 3232132
Hi All,

I bought a 2014 F Type Base with 6,400 miles on it in August 2018. I love the looks of the car, it has been mechanically sound, and I bought it certified for $42k which seemed reasonable for a vehicle priced at $70k new.

However, I am having some regrets on purchasing the base model. I'm hoping for any suggestions for improvement from the group. Since this is a base model, I understand many of you may not be dealing with these issues:

1. Seats - at first I thought it was just me but my seats only have two controls. One lifts the lower section of the seat forward and up in a weird diagonal direction and the other moves the upper section of the seat from slightly reclined to a full forward leaning position, I have never experienced such a limited ability to control seat position so any suggestions on improvement/modification?

2. No front or rear parking sensors - while I might understand no front parking sensors, I am amazed Jaguar would produce any car without at least rear sensors. Any idea if these can be added and what cost?

3. No garage door opener - same question as #2

4. No adjustment for ride setting - it is my understanding the base model does not have the dynamic ride setting adjustments that other F Type models have, What I find is a fairly harsh and stiff ride which is great for aggressive driving but a killer for long road trips. I have changed over to new Michelin Super Sport tires on 19 inch rims hoping for some improvement but unfortunately no significant difference. I don't want to diminish handling too much but I would like to calm the tooth rattling ride on bumpy roads. Is there any suspension adjustment that a dealer can make or is this it for the base model?

I love the looks but the above, in combination, are just not what a $70k car should deliver.. Are there reasonable fixes or should I consider trading up to a higher end F Type model?. I suspect this may be the reason this particular ride only had around 6000 miles over the five prior years.

Thanks to all for any feedback you can provide!
It seems you have a base model with a very limited amount of factory options on your car. Sport seats were an option which have a bit more adjustability, parking sensors also an option, and same with garage door opener.

In terms of suspension, the only option from here is to go with a coilover like a KW V3 and adjust it for comfort.

I do believe it's probably a better option for you to look for a car with the options you're looking for as opposed to try to retrofit these options. Best of luck.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jaggyx:
3232132 (01-04-2019), Carbuff2 (01-04-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 01:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,113 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaggyx
It seems you have a base model with a very limited amount of factory options on your car. Sport seats were an option which have a bit more adjustability, parking sensors also an option, and same with garage door opener.

In terms of suspension, the only option from here is to go with a coilover like a KW V3 and adjust it for comfort.

I do believe it's probably a better option for you to look for a car with the options you're looking for as opposed to try to retrofit these options. Best of luck.
Agreed.
Retro fitting all of those missing options is theoretically possible but would be horrendously expensive and no guarantee they would work perfectly, and some may not work at all. It would cost multiple times the amount you would lose by selling the car and buying another F-Type with the options you want.

The following users liked this post:
3232132 (01-04-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,130 Likes on 1,304 Posts

The heading of this thread is a perfect example of how browsing forum threads can lead to erroneous ideas about the quality of the marque. The OP bought a car which was fitted in the most basic form. This was a very rare configuration, one specifically intended to make the F-Type accessible to a new demographic -those who otherwise would consider a Jaguar as out of their range...no Jaguar is inexpensive and indeed most Jaguar models come with more accessories included than this particular car has. But there is nothing defective or "poor" about about the simple electric control of fore and aft and height and seat-back tilt - and the interior configuration simply makes a greater seat-back range impossible (to have a greater range would mean redesigning the car to allow it). And the fact that this particular car was ordered by the previous owner without any options does not make this sports car deficient in any way. The vast majority of F-Types are very well optioned. And with regard to the seats, my fully-optioned V6S allows full seat movement within the confines of the cabin, excellent lumbar support adjustment (up/down, in/out), full bolster adjustment, tilt fore and aft...front and rear park sensors, rear camera, home-link for the garage doors, etc. Jaguar is not alone in offering basic models (try a Porsche for this sort of retailing...they are masters at it. And for those who have considered their needs and expectations, they also offer a full range of options - at a price). The disappointment is not caused by any quality failure but by a lack of forethought...this is not the first time we have heard this. I recognize that this may sound a bit harsh, but that is not my intention.
But retrofitting features that you wish the car had in the first place is, as others have said, very involved and likely near impossible.

scm (01-04-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 04:26 PM
Banned
Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

2014s have no rear camera but most have sensors. The parking sensors work but beep constantly and are so loud and obnoxious they are unusable. You can buy a third party well integrated reverse camera for around $650.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:24 PM
Received 175 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by JIMLIGHTA
2014s have no rear camera but most have sensors.
Dead wrong. My 2014 has a backup camera and sensors. The sensors are quite sensitive and alert often which IMHO is better than less sensitivity. I'd rather be alerted and then use my eyes than not be alerted and use the back end of the car.

scm (01-05-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,113 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Originally Posted by Dogbreath!
Dead wrong. My 2014 has a backup camera and sensors. The sensors are quite sensitive and alert often which IMHO is better than less sensitivity. I'd rather be alerted and then use my eyes than not be alerted and use the back end of the car.
Same here, my 2014 coupe (built Oct 2014 MY2015) has both a backup camera and rear (and front) sensors .
But it's an "S" and a well optioned one at that, so I don't know what was standard or optional or not available on a "base" 2014, well at least here in Oz.
But I agree on one point with Jim, the front sensors at least are overly-sensitive and carry on like a pork chop when there is still plenty of space around the front of the car, and for that reason I turn off the front sensors whenever I reverse out of a parking spot.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dogbreath!
They work fine but are way too loud and constantly beep, making them so obnoxious as to be useless. Think house alarm that goes off full blast as soon as you arm it. It works fine, but it sucks. So he isn't missing much IMO, the best idea is to add a front and rear camera for around $650. A front camera is great for the long nose.

Last edited by JIMLIGHTA; 01-04-2019 at 07:02 PM.
3232132 (01-05-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

With the seats and ride, I have seen quite a few low km base models for sale over the years, I tend to think people get them then cant persevere. That was my experience test driving the base when it first came out, my back cried with relief getting back into my XKR.

That said, the seats do soften up over time and when they get stretchy they absorb some of the punishment. As a result, in my car for example the driver's seat is much more comfortable than the passenger's and the ride is much nicer on sub par roads. When mine was new I put a lot of leather moisturiser into the seats and knelt on them and really gave them some punishment. I dont know whether that helped, but they were massively improved by 7,000km or so. If you have fabric seats you wont be able to moisturise them but you could do a bit of twerking on them and that might soften them up a bit.

I see that you have gone to 19's and have good tyres on. I dont know whether the OEM rims adversely affect ride, but I went from OEM 19 wheels with P Zeros to Vorsteiner 21's with Michelins and I think the ride is about the same, so allowing for some improvement by the tyre, I figure the new wheels might be contributing to a good ride. The OEM wheels are super heavy, that's for sure. It might be worth while trying to borrow a decent set of forged wheels to see if the ride improves. You also might notice that the ride improves the faster you go.

3232132 (01-05-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 10:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Same here, my 2014 coupe (built Oct 2014 MY2015) has both a backup camera and rear (and front) sensors .
But it's an "S" and a well optioned one at that, so I don't know what was standard or optional or not available on a "base" 2014, well at least here in Oz.
But I agree on one point with Jim, the front sensors at least are overly-sensitive and carry on like a pork chop when there is still plenty of space around the front of the car, and for that reason I turn off the front sensors whenever I reverse out of a parking spot.
After I mounted my sensors in the P7 grille, they are extremely accurate. When the second set of red indicator lines light up, the car is just 4” from the object. They also detect lower curbs than when they were in the bumper mounts.

3232132 (01-05-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 11:10 PM
Banned

Make sure you check your CPO warranty date in the computer. I have two CPO cars and Jag has yet to properly enter either cars' warranty.

I've elevated both issues to JLR and provided all the CPO paperwork several times to many different people for both cars. Despite months to years of Jaguar dealers and JLR passing the buck from person to person (all names available upon request), neither cars' warranty date is correct in the computer, both show one year to little coverage.

Based on 2 for 2 fails and two ongoing ordeals, despite all parties agreeing the promised dates are not in the computer, I can only conclude that Jag's CPO program is intentionally fraudulent.

The CPO paperwork is so clear that I'll just sue them senseless if needed, but it only contributes to the worst ownership support experience(s) of my life. Both dealers are technically incompetent and woefully dishonest, they do not care, period, and JLR is powerless to help and do not follow-up beyond first contact.

I've lost confidence in the brand.

Good luck.

Last edited by JIMLIGHTA; 01-04-2019 at 11:34 PM.
3232132 (01-05-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 11:53 PM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

I got a kick out of the original post. I could have written it word for word about my MY 14 CPO purchased in 17. Jaguar got away with murder selling an under equipped but great looking vehicle for top dollar when the F was introduced. The only answer is learn to live with all the short comings or sell it. I think of mine as a mid 1960’s car and that makes it less disappointing. Welcome to the club.

3232132 (01-05-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 05:52 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,382 Likes on 1,049 Posts

Originally Posted by Suaro
Jaguar got away with murder selling an under equipped but great looking vehicle for top dollar when the F was introduced.
Er, Jaguar didn't use strong-arm tactics to make people buy their cars - that was up to the individual. If people choose (note CHOOSE) to pay top dollar for what you consider to be an underspecced car, you can't blame the manufacturer. Well, you can blame them for making a very desirable car, but ....

Old 01-05-2019, 05:54 AM
scm
Veteran Member

I can only conclude that Jag's CPO program is intentionally fraudulent.
Never attribute conspiracy to what can be explained by incompetence.

Old 01-05-2019, 07:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by scm
Never attribute conspiracy to what can be explained by incompetence.
I would like to believe that, but the consistency of incompetence results in no difference. Talking two dealers in different States and God knows how many JLR reps. Same endless run-around with no results.

Advice:

Do not close a sale until the promised CPO date is reflected in the computer printout. My guess is no CPO cars will move at that point.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:16 AM
KVO
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

They work fine but are way too loud and constantly beep, making them so obnoxious as to be useless. Think house alarm that goes off full blast as soon as you arm it. It works fine, but it sucks. So he isn't missing much IMO, the best idea is to add a front and rear camera for around $650. A front camera is great for the long nose.
Mine are not loud at all. Can't remember I ever adjusted their level in my F, but in all of the car I owned so far, the sound level of the parking sensor bleeps could be adjusted and set by means of the sound system volume knob.

Old 01-05-2019, 10:20 AM
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

OP, if you'd researched the car before you bought it, you'd know that this is what a Base is like. There are many cost and trim levels in F-Type land...

Hey, let's have some respect for the Base. It is the most cost efficient approach for those of us on the poorer end of the 1%, especially if we're looking for a GT car instead of a race car. When I bought mine, I got it (new) for $57k. Jag web site said $63. Dealer here said $73k Base, $82k for a S. Yes, there are things on the S that I'd like to have, but not $25k worth of like. I've got under $62 in mine now with custom paint, ceramic coating, front and rear cameras, and a VAP 416 hp tune. I'm happy.

The following 3 users liked this post by FullChat:
scm (01-05-2019), sparky fuze (01-05-2019), stmcknig (01-05-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 10:40 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Too many people start their research after purchase.
And then look for someone (else) to blame.

sov211 (01-05-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 04:03 PM

Yeah, shame on me for expecting seats for not going forward and back.

Old 01-05-2019, 04:12 PM

I would agree there is no defect. But the seats do not move forward and back. I think this is a fairly simple expectation for any consumer even on a lower end car. These seats will only go forward (and up simultaneously) or back (and down simultaneously).

I think the design poor and honestly odd that seats would be designed only to track in a somewhat diagonal fashion. I think Jaguar must have recognized the issue because this is not a feature on the new base models.

Quick Reply: F Type Base - poor seat controls and other random deficiencies