Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   F-Type ( X152 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/)
-   -   F-type door fit (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/f-type-door-fit-197061/)

powerhouse 02-19-2018 05:47 PM

F-type door fit

Seems to be a lot of owners have had problems with the door alignment, mostly on the passenger side, picture below is a new car in a showroom, has anyone encountered this and was it a quick dealer fix. Doesn't seem to be great quality control.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...aecbff4eee.jpg

DJS 02-19-2018 06:54 PM

I'd make sure it isn't closed on the seatbelt - that does look lousy.

shahuk 02-19-2018 08:01 PM

I had this issue it looked exactly like that. I booked it in at the dealer and when I turned up they fixed it in 5 minutes - they didn’t even check the car in. It was an adjustment to the latch on the frame that catches the door when it closes. Looks much better now

OzXFR 02-19-2018 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by shahuk (Post 1845254)
I had this issue it looked exactly like that. I booked it in at the dealer and when I turned up they fixed it in 5 minutes - they didn’t even check the car in. It was an adjustment to the latch on the frame that catches the door when it closes. Looks much better now

Good tip.
The bottom edge of my driver's door (so RHS) sticks out about 3 or 4 mm from the bottom panel/rocker, at the rear only. It's not real bad and I doubt if anyone else will ever notice it, but it still annoys me.
So I loosened off the two bolts which hold the door latch on - standard 6 point Torx T40 - and had a fiddle. There is a surprising amount of movement available, both fore and aft and up and down.
Bottom line - every adjustment I made just made the door fit everywhere else worse, and the best fit was exactly where it started, so that's where I ended up!
Not to mean though that this adjustment won't help others get a better fitting door.

domino_z 02-20-2018 11:57 PM

yep i have the same problem - it's only seemed to be more apparent in last few months, so ill take a look at the latch adjustment

though i can't fathom how that will help as the door everywhere else fits perfect - in terms of where it sits at top edge against rear fender and panel gap to front fender

jaguny 02-22-2018 04:11 AM

I brought the issue of having some water get inside the car onto the sill area when washing the car. My dealer said this condition of door is "normal".

mc5mojo 02-22-2018 07:29 AM

My drivers door is like this. I took it to the dealer, they said they looked at the latch and said there was no adjustment. If I wanted it to fit better take it to a body shop.

After they told me that I looked at almost every F Type on the lot and pretty much all of them have a door like this.

palmlakesman 02-22-2018 08:03 AM

I had the same issue. My dealer sent it to their body shop. They said they adjusted the rocker panel. Looks much better now!

OzXFR 02-22-2018 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by palmlakesman (Post 1846755)
I had the same issue. My dealer sent it to their body shop. They said they adjusted the rocker panel. Looks much better now!

Yep, it became obvious to me when I adjusted the door fit by moving the latch that the only way to get the door to fit right and reduce or eliminate the bottom gap would be to fiddle with the fit of the rocker panel. So the problem is the rocker panel fit, not the door fit.
Does anyone know how to do this easily, or do you have to remove the thin aluminium treadplate which apparently is damn near impossible to do without destroying it?

jaguny 02-24-2018 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by palmlakesman (Post 1846755)

Can you post a photo? Great if you had before and after?

IlMostro796 02-27-2018 07:11 PM

Mine is like that. I need to make a list of things to tell the dealer.