F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type Leg Room?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 12:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 337 Likes on 212 Posts

Bodies come in all shapes and sizes but the F-type does not. It will fit most People but some (a few) not. That goes for most sportscars. The only sportscar that I know that has plenty of space for larger drivers is the 911.

Old 08-12-2016, 04:18 AM
Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
I am perplexed by such tall people being able to fit and I don't. I would see the same things on the Corvette forum. Walking the dog tonight I han an epiphany...

I'm thinking it may be my posterior. It's very high up and sticks out a lot farther than most. In fact, people have commented that although I'm white, I have a black man's butt. I think where that extra is located probably robs me of the precious 2 extra inches of legroom I'd desire in both the F-Type and Vette.

I know I'm going to catch some s**t for saying my aforementioned theory, but it's all I can attribute it to. Anyone else with the legroom issue with 33+ inch inseam have a big ***???
i'm comfortable in the car, i've had it 18 months now, it was a concern before i bought one, so I hired a v6 for a week from Avis and put about 1300 miles on it, that was all i needed, suggest you try that and if it is something you can live with you'll love the car, plus the fact, mine lives in a very very secure locked garage (thats not a challenge by the way) so i can leave it with the roof down and getting in and out really couldn't be easier.

Old 08-12-2016, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Arne
Bodies come in all shapes and sizes but the F-type does not. It will fit most People but some (a few) not. That goes for most sportscars. The only sportscar that I know that has plenty of space for larger drivers is the 911.
No truer words have been spoken.

Old 08-12-2016, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

With a 33" inseam in the MT with the seat all the way back, I can stretch my legs out fully and not reach the bulkhead behind the pedals without pointing my toes forward. However, I have no butt padding. I could imagine a couple inches of accumulated french fries and burgers in the posterior area would make things a bit too tight.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (12-24-2016)
Old 08-12-2016, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
With a 33" inseam in the MT with the seat all the way back, I can stretch my legs out fully and not reach the bulkhead behind the pedals without pointing my toes forward. However, I have no butt padding. I could imagine a couple inches of accumulated french fries and burgers in the posterior area would make things a bit too tight.
Although those comments are indeed true of my current physique, even when I was in shape, there were a number of brands of jeans I couldn't wear because of my build. Genetics are a bitch sometimes.

I'll justify not fitting with thoughts that:
1. I need four doors
2. I need a big enough trunk for a 12" sub
3. Other dribble that really isn't true but makes me feel better...

Old 08-14-2016, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Ditto, you and I are virtually identical heights and builds, tall w/ zero junk in the trunk. I moved my seat base up a tiny bit to get an ideal position.

However, I think like many other things, what people find comfortable in a seat position is all over the map.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:55 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,065 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Sigh . . . that last line is priceless. It may be your truth, but far from the views of the majority and most will consider the source.
Of course, Polaris' evil twin, who lies 100% of the time, would say exactly the same thing.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

I am perplexed by such tall people being able to fit and I don't. I would see the same things on the Corvette forum. Walking the dog tonight I han an epiphany...
Unless you are an identical twin, you are going to fit differently in the same car as someone with the same height. Some people have longer legs and a shorter upper body, some have shorter legs and longer torsor, etc... Each variation will pose a unique challenge and some of those will be less comfortable than others.

I've been driving small cars for ever. I'm not tall, only 6' so there aren't a lot of cars I have issues with... But, owning smaller cars over the years I have seen the challenges that those who are taller go through. In short, not every car is built for every body type. The F-Type just may not be a car for you unless you have it modified (and yes that is possible). I've seen Viper's and other cars modified to fit larger individuals. Granted, in most cases, there is only so much a shop can do but different seats in the F-Type would likely be the first option. I'm not sure I would go that far myself, but it just depends on how much you really want to own one.

Good luck.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member

Actually, I think it's even more complicated than that because people have different, and very subjective perceptions w/ regard to what's comfortable. Even with 2 identical twins, one might perceive the car as comfortable and the other would not.

Uncle Fishbits (12-24-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 03:19 PM
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm thinking it may be my posterior. It's very high up and sticks out a lot farther than most. In fact, people have commented that although I'm white, I have a black man's butt.
I don't think it's your honkus. I'm 6'0" with a 32" inseam (and a pancake butt) and find the leg room inadequate (along with the space to the left of the clutch). It may have something to do with they way I sit though. The only car that I've ever had that didn't require me to put the seat all the way back was my BMW 435i. My S2000 pretty much has identical leg room as the F-Type. I can understand that a little more because the Japanese are generally shorter and it's a smaller car overall. It's kind of hard to understand why a decently long car with only two seats doesn't have enough leg room. Still, the looks and performance of the F-Type outweigh its poor legroom.

Old 08-17-2016, 03:45 PM
Awd
Received 79 Likes on 51 Posts

Poor Dr Manhattan....at post #1 he asked about leg room....haven't heard from him since. Hope we solved the issue he raised.
Amusing we true believers have managed to generate 40+ posts on "I fit", " no you don't", almost as riveting as the I follow a "premium gas" buyer to the pumps so no mere "regular gas" gets into my car thread.
I'm in the midst of pouring my self a(nother) glass of red prior to having a look at the other new posts for the day.
Love the forum.
Cheers,
Alan

The following 3 users liked this post by Awd:
camstang6907 (03-16-2020), Mbourne (08-17-2016), Uncle Fishbits (08-17-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Awd
Poor Dr Manhattan....at post #1 he asked about leg room....haven't heard from him since. Hope we solved the issue he raised.
Amusing we true believers have managed to generate 40+ posts on "I fit", " no you don't", almost as riveting as the I follow a "premium gas" buyer to the pumps so no mere "regular gas" gets into my car thread.
I'm in the midst of pouring my self a(nother) glass of red prior to having a look at the other new posts for the day.
Love the forum.
Cheers,
Alan
Then pour heavy, to be sure. =) Loved your post... it's quite true. We're spirited about our spirit, and spirits, here. I like entendres like my drinks... double!

Mbourne (08-17-2016)
Old 08-18-2016, 12:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Awd
Love the forum.
Cheers,
Alan
"Dr. Manhattan" has a long history of that here. He pops in rarely, makes a statement or asks a question and then disappears for many months.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
"Dr. Manhattan" has a long history of that here. He pops in rarely, makes a statement or asks a question and then disappears for many months.
Unlike us, who pop in often, make our statements, then never leave.

He did provoke a few to invoke the now famous - "Consider the source" classic which, in itself - was priceless.

Old 12-22-2016, 09:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to resurrect this thread- but I've absolutely fallen for the F-Type (S or R depending on what I can find) and just can't get comfortable. I am 5'11", 30" inseam and have test driven the car three times. Both with the regular and sport seat. I find my knees pushed up just under the steering wheel and really feel the pinch of the bolsters on both seats. I am going to give it one more try.

Love the look of the coupe, really like all the standard equipment and think the AWD is terrific, with just enough traction where I can get home in a few inches of snow. The maintenance package is great and I've owned a Jag and had a good experience.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XJ8Driven
Sorry to resurrect this thread- but I've absolutely fallen for the F-Type (S or R depending on what I can find) and just can't get comfortable. I am 5'11", 30" inseam and have test driven the car three times. Both with the regular and sport seat. I find my knees pushed up just under the steering wheel and really feel the pinch of the bolsters on both seats. I am going to give it one more try.

Love the look of the coupe, really like all the standard equipment and think the AWD is terrific, with just enough traction where I can get home in a few inches of snow. The maintenance package is great and I've owned a Jag and had a good experience.
When putting the seat to the most rearward position , it will rebound forward about an inch and a half. You can then tap the seat position button a few times to get it all the way back again. You're a bit shorter than a lot of us who are very comfortable in the car. (Also, lower the seat some more to get that knee clearance.)

XJ8Driven (12-23-2016)
Old 12-23-2016, 09:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've felt that rebound and powered it back. I think the knee issue is the geometry of my legs using space, not pushed up by the lower seat cushion. If I can get past the seat issue, anything else to consider?
Thanks again.

Old 12-23-2016, 09:20 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,065 Likes on 1,370 Posts

You know the steering wheel goes up and down too? I have mine set to move up out of way for entering and exiting.

Old 12-24-2016, 01:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 337 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
You know the steering wheel goes up and down too? I have mine set to move up out of way for entering and exiting.
+1
Mine moves up automatically as soon as I turn ignition off and open the door. It moves down again after entering the car and pushing the "start engine" button.

Old 12-24-2016, 06:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Arne
+1
Mine moves up automatically as soon as I turn ignition off and open the door. It moves down again after entering the car and pushing the "start engine" button.
+2. And the height of the steering wheel, once set in the proper driving position, is stored when you set the seat position memory (as are the exterior mirror settings).

Quick Reply: F-Type Leg Room?