Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The F-Type at the mall

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by fujicoupe
Does anyone really believe Al Gore is pure of intent?
I think you just made my point. The subject can't be discussed without making it political or insulting one side of the political spectrum or the other. Confine the discussion to citing valid scientific studies without disparaging any one person or group and I'm al for carrying on the discussion.

Last edited by Unhingd; 02-04-2019 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:17 AM
Banned
Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I think you just made my point. The subject can't be discussed without making it political.
After thinking it over, you are right. Debating a religious change is pointless.

On a positive note, I actually had a similar experience as the OP after walking out to my Jag left on the gas pump to grab coffee. An elderly gentleman said, "Is that a Jaguar? I had a Jag but that's the prettiest one I have ever seen." This is where the similarity of experience ends, he did not make a written offer of sex for part ownership.

I appreciate people's joyful reactions to the F-Type, but personally I do not enjoy the attention that comes with it. Especially with the top down. I wish I could drive it in isolation.

Last edited by JIMLIGHTA; 02-04-2019 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 196 Posts

I love people to love my car, and happy to share it. Anybody who shows interest I ask if they want to go for a spin,
also the boy at the carwash who since pays enormous detail to my rims.. .. and he makes a selfie after..
I let sons of my best friends drive it : most refused as they were scared to damage it !

My own son drives it, since he has his license. I do go along and signal problems to him ahead and he deals
with it quite well. He actually had an accident on the 2nd day he had his license, with the MiTo. He was used
to an Audi A3 and the MiTo just has a 20cm long nose. So he hit a parked car turning into a space...

Old 02-04-2019, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

If you live in a jovial affluent bubble, indeed the interest in your wheels will be complimentary.
Whereas in places where they are scratching the ground for sustenance and gasping for non-polluted air....

Reality is...Every car I have owned manages to **** off the other half.
The wealthy, the poor, the environmentalist, the reserved, the flamboyant, the tesla types, the petrol heads, the off-roaders, and on-roaders, the young and old. The XKR for instance is considered a delusional old man's car.
My old big chevy truck is the worst- it gets the nasty eye from nearly everyone, you wont believe how many garages in Manhattan that wont even accept it. And I was worried about its safety in Seattle.
My FJ40 by contrast is the exception that pleases all prejudices. I can as easily take it to a mechanic from a third world country and he can identify with it or request it be parked up front at the Ritz and the valet not touch it.

Old 02-04-2019, 12:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
The XKR for instance is considered a delusional old man's car
But that stereotype is true.
My old big chevy truck is the worst- it gets the nasty eye from nearly everyone, you wont believe how many garages in Manhattan that wont even accept it. And I was worried about its safety in Seattle.
In the southern US, if you park a sedan at the supermarket you won't be able to find it.

Old 02-04-2019, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member

@Queen and Country
You give as your location Hastings, thats in the UK. A chevy truck in NY is a bit weired, don't you think ? You get eyeballed as its completely obsolete in a big town.
I think an escalade wouldn't get looked at like the truck. But in the south you are completely anonymous with the same pickup, but stand out as a sore thumb with
an Escalade.. The FJ40 would not survive long in Paris [France, not Texas].

The French love my old Discovery as its old and original. Go with a new Range Rover in the area of Lille and they'll throw bricks at you.

Last edited by Dan_NL; 02-04-2019 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JIMLIGHTA
But that stereotype is true.
No it isnt, unless we accept that the middle age boy today is unrefined and essentially a child.
There you may be right. It is after all the generation of 40 year old video games, trekkies, hanging out at dispensaries, dress code says more than anything else.
Most crucially aspiring towards nothing.

Here is a Jaguar ad for the E-type. Note the aspiration.

Old 02-04-2019, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dan_NL
@Queen and Country
You give as your location Hastings, thats in the UK. A chevy truck in NY is a bit weired, don't you think ? You get eyeballed as its completely obsolete in a big town.
I think an escalade wouldn't get looked at like the truck. But in the south you are completely anonymous with the same pickup, but stand out as a sore thumb with

The French love my old Discovery as its old and original. Go with a new Range Rover in the area of Lille and they'll throw bricks at you.
You summed it all up mate.
I am at present in USA
And you have surprisingly good understanding of the States, as most Europeans do, but it does not work the other way around.

Old 02-04-2019, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member

We understand the US only as we are plastered on all channels with cheap US series... .. as they use to impose their morals on us.
Not many leaders in Europe understand that these series pave the way for US products as a key marketing tool...

And for the US mindset : soon European children will be called for a 'tour-of-duty' to 'serve-their-country' fighting the Russians in the Ukraine
to defend the financial interests of US oligargs in the weapons industry.. .. like the CIA now does in Kiev and Minsk.

We may have a complete idiot for prime minister [ not only presidents are idiots ], but that doesn't mean all Dutch are idiots.

Last edited by Dan_NL; 02-04-2019 at 01:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Don1954 (02-05-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 02:24 PM
Banned

No it isnt, unless we accept that the middle age boy today is unrefined and essentially a child.
There you may be right. It is after all the generation of 40 year old video games, trekkies, hanging out at dispensaries, dress code says more than anything else.
Most crucially aspiring towards nothing.

Here is a Jaguar ad for the E-type. Note the aspiration.

What an interesting vintage ad, thanks for posting it!

I guess another way to interpret Jaguar's targeting Socio-Economic Class 1 & 2 college men trying to recapture their 20s/30s/40s, is that it was once a delusional old man's car.

Being an ugly-American, I had to Wikipedia Socio-Economic Classes 1 & 2. For the similarly unrefined, it means the Jaguar brand is suitable for both the recognized Elite and New Money, alike. Now that is delightfully aspirational!

No wonder our Jags attract divorced gold diggers in mall parking lots.

Last edited by JIMLIGHTA; 02-04-2019 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member

I guess another way to interpret Jaguar's targeting Socio-Economic Class 1 & 2 college men trying to recapture their 20s/30s/40s, is that it was once a delusional old man's car.

Being an ugly-American, I had to Wikipedia Socio-Economic Classes 1 & 2. For the similarly unrefined, it means the Jaguar brand is suitable for both the recognized Elite and New Money, alike. Now that is delightfully aspirational!

No wonder our Jags attract divorced gold diggers in mall parking lots.
Sorry friend, that is an absolute misunderstanding.

Jaguar made it possible for average man and a younger age group to afford performance and aesthetics only reserved for the uber elite (typically old).
Do you realize what the Merc SL and the 911 mentioned in the ad above cost- it was not for anyone under 50.
In fact that was the whole point of that ad- you can be elite for a lot less than you think!

And yes the average man and the stars, young and old flocked to an Etype.
Basically for 'affordable money' you could own the hottest, most beautiful, fastest car available.
There has never been a exotic car since that the young could afford.

Besides what's all this old bashing? We need to say F that. How the heck is it not acceptable to say; that's a fat persons car, trans car, ethnic car, poor person's car, but ok to speak of old folk with the same disdain?

But really what's happened in the world is that the bar for being cool has been lowered to this:

Old 02-04-2019, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member

My FJ40 by contrast is the exception that pleases all prejudices.
+1. It's a wondrous beast. Just wish I didn't have to combat the rust so vigilantly.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member

But really what's happened in the world is that the bar for being cool has been lowered to this:
Hey....I have one on order! Now we're bashing scooter riders? lol

Old 02-04-2019, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member

Hey....I have one on order! Now we're bashing scooter riders? lol
I had one as a kid, when they told me I would never be a man till I get over 300hp. Now they tell me my effort was in vain, a scooter and man-bun is in. What gives.

+1. It's a wondrous beast. Just wish I didn't have to combat the rust so vigilantly.
Saw this on my travels, the beast can take all-comers including rust. It belonged to truckstop using it exclusively to push snow and salt in the mountains. Look at the terrain in the background.

Old 02-04-2019, 05:26 PM
Banned

Sorry friend, that is an absolute misunderstanding.

Jaguar made it possible for average man and a younger age group to afford performance and aesthetics only reserved for the uber elite (typically old).
Do you realize what the Merc SL and the 911 mentioned in the ad above cost- it was not for anyone under 50.
In fact that was the whole point of that ad- you can be elite for a lot less than you think!

And yes the average man and the stars, young and old flocked to an Etype.
Basically for 'affordable money' you could own the hottest, most beautiful, fastest car available.
There has never been a exotic car since that the young could afford.

Besides what's all this old bashing? We need to say F that. How the heck is it not acceptable to say; that's a fat persons car, trans car, ethnic car, poor person's car, but ok to speak of old folk with the same disdain?

Jaguar said it, not me. I'm old. Sorta. We deserve plenty of bashing.

Scooters haven't been cool in the States for maybe 10 years, when they were eclipsed by Hoverboards. Hoverboards are gone now too. If you ask a modern American kid what his dream ride is, 97/100 will say Uber Select.

The whole idea that sports cars have fallen out of favor is a misread of the situation. Driving cars has fallen out of favor. Sports cars are just disproportionately affected when you chop half the driving population off the top, nearly overnight.

The only cars that will sell in the near future are whatever Uber drivers decide is important.

Last edited by JIMLIGHTA; 02-04-2019 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:44 PM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Jaguar said it, not me. I'm old. Sorta. We deserve plenty of bashing.

Scooters haven't been cool in the States for maybe 10 years, when they were eclipsed by Hoverboards. Hoverboards are gone now too. If you ask a modern American kid what his dream ride is, 97/100 will say Uber Select.

The whole idea that sports cars have fallen out of favor is a misread of the situation. Driving cars has fallen out of favor. Sports cars are just disproportionately affected when you chop half the driving population off the top, nearly overnight.

The only cars that will sell in the near future are whatever Uber drivers decide is important.
Here we go again.

Old 02-04-2019, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member

Scooters haven't been cool in the States for maybe 10 years,...
That’s because no one knows what’s cool anymore. Tell me this isn’t cool :

The following users liked this post:
Queen and Country (02-05-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

@Queen and Country

Dan,
Our murican friends assume every place name/town/city refers to the good ol' US of A and it doesn't matter that many of those names were borrowed from elsewhere, especially Blighty.
This is why all US made TV shows and movies, when showing a caption to advise the viewer of the location, if that location is not in the US then the name is followed by the country. For example, "Paris, France".
Now to 99% of the world's population Paris is in France, but not to our murican friends.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
.. but not to our murican friends....
..and thats why I added the "..France.." bit, after watching all those US tv-series..

Old 02-04-2019, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member

..and thats why I added the "..France.." bit, after watching all those US tv-series..
We had an advert on British TV in the 80's. This lady jumps on a promotion which includes apartment in Paris...she did not realize it was Paris, Texas.

Quick Reply: The F-Type at the mall