F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F Type R, exhaust noise and pops.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 10:16 AM
Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Tahoe Dave
I'm picking up my 17R on Wednesday and came across this thread. The production date on this car is 9/16. That said, do "you" think that this car will need the update for the exhaust or just the break-in period to develop the desired exhaust notes?
I think it was ek993 who guesstimated the correction for K309 occurred Summer 2016. You should be fine. My 17R production was 11/16.

For all the good these forums do (not only here but elsewhere), we all are susceptible to falling victim of "medical student's disease."

Old 09-25-2017, 04:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi All
Does anyone know how to escalate a case pass Jaguar CRC in the US? Is there a number or an email address please?
Thanks

Old 09-25-2017, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by 550R
Hi All
Does anyone know how to escalate a case pass Jaguar CRC in the US? Is there a number or an email address please?
Thanks
Good luck. Worst customer service ever.

I suggest starting a new thread on that however. OEMs do read these boards, but likely won't see your concern here.

The following users liked this post:
550R (09-27-2017)
Old 09-27-2017, 04:35 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi All
Thanks
I've tried and yelled and argued, for hours, trying to get past these people. I don't think it's happening. However, I am working with a gentleman named Mike at Jag USA, I'll PM you his extension. He's been as helpful as I think he can be. You might find some value in seeing if you can have him handle your case, as he is handling mine and it's essentially the same problem.

Also, regarding the JTB000495 update that has fixed this issue for some folks, this was not possible on my car. According to mydealer, Jag even sent them a standalone version of the JTB495 patch to be applied manually and the cars software would not let it be applied.

My car is currently back at the dealer.... Jag supposedly has all the necessary folks involved. Stay tuned.

550R (09-27-2017)
Old 09-27-2017, 05:30 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritzy
I've tried and yelled and argued, for hours, trying to get past these people. I don't think it's happening. However, I am working with a gentleman named Mike at Jag USA, I'll PM you his extension. He's been as helpful as I think he can be. You might find some value in seeing if you can have him handle your case, as he is handling mine and it's essentially the same problem.

Also, regarding the JTB000495 update that has fixed this issue for some folks, this was not possible on my car. According to mydealer, Jag even sent them a standalone version of the JTB495 patch to be applied manually and the cars software would not let it be applied.

My car is currently back at the dealer.... Jag supposedly has all the necessary folks involved. Stay tuned.
There is probably a check in the patch installation for VIN range that fails when the vehicle is outside of that range. If that is the case it would need to be re-coded by the development team.

Have you guys tried escalating to JLR in the UK? Go straight to the source of knowledge.

Old 09-27-2017, 06:42 PM

You're probably correct on the VIN check.

I hadn't thought of talking to U.K. jag. I assumed it was essentially the same. Will give that a try next if current attempts are unsuccessful. Good idea, thanks.

Old 09-29-2017, 06:21 PM

Latest communication from CRC. My CRM @ Jag is unprofessional. She has never taken my calls, only VMs. I did try to talk to someone else but apparently once you have a case manager you are stuck with he/she. This is total BS! I seriously doubt she talked to the engineers in the UK.

Hello Mr. ******,

"I wanted to follow up with you and let you know that the UK engineer is involved with this. However all the updates have been done to your vehicle. We are unable to assist any further and their are no other solutions at this time as per the carb laws."

Last edited by 550R; 09-29-2017 at 07:56 PM.
nrwatson (10-29-2017)
Old 09-29-2017, 08:09 PM

550R - stepping back to the beginning here - which service update specifically does the service sheet show the dealer applied that originally caused the problem? I don’t think you mentioned it other than a software update was applied.

Old 09-29-2017, 10:03 PM

I think you should point out that the update which was explained as "to correct an error with the o2 sensors" was actually a carb emissions update and was grossly misrepresented. If all this is actually intended, I'm of the opinion our cars were modified beyond our consent.

Old 09-30-2017, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by ek993
550R - stepping back to the beginning here - which service update specifically does the service sheet show the dealer applied that originally caused the problem? I don’t think you mentioned it other than a software update was applied.
Hi ek 993,
The story is as follows, I took the car in because the engine light came on and then went off after a couple of days. The JLR connected the car to SDD and found CODE P014A-00 O2 sensor delayed response-rich to lean bank 2 sensor.
The JLR found bulletin JTB00392NAS3 corresponding to issue and codes.
They replaced O2 sensor, updated PCM CPLA- 12B684-YF and cleared codes.

After I took the car back I noticed the exhaust pops and crackling were gone and also the car was under performing. Explain in previous threads.

I went to my local JLR and they told me to call CRC. I called CRC they told me get in touch with my JLR. They also informed me that O2 sensor or software update doesn't cause performance or exhaust issues!

Back to JLR again, they replied;

"We are going to open up a case on the car. Apparently what CRC told you is not accurate. Our foreman handed me literature from CRC. The exact words are " A change in operation of the exhaust over run 'crackle' was part of the requirement for the software release in K309. There is no option to revert the software to the previous version." Although, the K309 was performed in 2015 for your vehicle, we performed a PCM update. This is supposedly causing the drop in crackle we are experiencing.

All this info will be sent to Jaguar and we will have to wait to see what they recommend us to do. Obviously, not being able to revert back to the old software is not acceptable.

I apologize that this is turning into a lengthy process. I will update you as soon as i hear back from our foreman."

Next step CRC send them a patch JTB 495 NA, but the car refused the patch. Back to CRC, the patch didn't work, they informed me they will work with their engineers!

Last email from CRC contact today, the CSR didn't even bother to sign off on her email, totally unprofessional.

"Hello Mr.. *****

I wanted to follow up with you and let you know that the UK engineer is involved with this. However all the updates have been done to your vehicle. We are unable to assist any further and their are no other solutions at this time as per the carb laws."

Since the CRC didn't take my call or return my phone calls for the last two weeks, I decided to write to Director of Customers Service at JLR (LinkedIn) in NJ and few other people in the company and give them a window into my experience with their CSR.

At no point or time I was asked for my consent for software update by my local JLR.

Also I don't believe a word that comes out of CRC. I think I would have got a better service from anyone else in that Dept. She seemed not happy to talk about cars, issue related to cars. It was more like the computer say....blah blah. i am sure they do search on their internal system and blab anything.

I am taking the car to another dealer to see if they can solve the issue, if not, I am selling it as it drives like a basic Camera, so sluggish and lethargic!

I will see if my local garage would smog test it, even though it doesn't need it, I think something fishy is going on here!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Jag work sheet.pdf (497.3 KB, 187 views)
Old 09-30-2017, 12:10 AM

I think you should point out that the update which was explained as "to correct an error with the o2 sensors" was actually a carb emissions update and was grossly misrepresented. If all this is actually intended, I'm of the opinion our cars were modified beyond our consent.
I totally agree, we didn't give consent and ours cars did not need the update for another 4 years per CA laws. No SMOG test required for 4 years.

Old 09-30-2017, 07:58 AM

They replaced O2 sensor, updated PCM CPLA- 12B684-YF and cleared codes
Ok that is the part number of the PCM. They don't state what they have updated it with though - demand they tell you this.

If it is indeed K309, that has been around since the beginning of 2016, does cause the issues you are reporting and has been fixed with a patch, K309B, so the talk of CARB etc is total BS.

If it is a new software version that has just been released then maybe there is some truth to their story.

Does anyone on the forum have access to the documentation to JTB00392NAS3 to see what actions are prescribed in it? What is the publication date for this JTB, that might be a clue as well? If it is very old then it isn't a **new** software release causing this, if it is a brand new JTB then maybe there is truth to it.

Last edited by ek993; 09-30-2017 at 08:00 AM.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:42 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,065 Likes on 1,370 Posts

I guess there's some precedent for this:
https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...jaguar-asa.pdf

Note that in '97, Jaguar agreed to update the OBD software of offending vehicles anytime a vehicle came in for service - there would have been no way of bypassing that, presumably.

Could be something similar going on now.

Old 09-30-2017, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by DJS
I guess there's some precedent for this:
https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...jaguar-asa.pdf

Note that in '97, Jaguar agreed to update the OBD software of offending vehicles anytime a vehicle came in for service - there would have been no way of bypassing that, presumably.

Could be something similar going on now.
i see what you're saying and jaguar is certainly clinging to this argument. Except the government isn't able to give rights to private corporations to modify my vehicle without my consent. What if I were to use the car for off-street, track use only? Jaguar clearly screwed up here and, tried to slide in a fix under the guise of a "component malfunction" in order to mislead us into accepting this garbage.

Old 09-30-2017, 08:28 PM

i see what you're saying and jaguar is certainly clinging to this argument. Except the government isn't able to give rights to private corporations to modify my vehicle without my consent. What if I were to use the car for off-street, track use only? Jaguar clearly screwed up here and, tried to slide in a fix under the guise of a "component malfunction" in order to mislead us into accepting this garbage.

Hi ek 993
The software update when O2 sensor was changed was EX53-14C204-EAG.

Old 09-30-2017, 08:31 PM

Hi ek 993
The software update when O2 sensor was changed was EX53-14C204-EAG.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:19 PM

Final note on the car! The exhaust note is nowhere near as loud as it used to be before software update but they managed to improve it just a tad. Jag explanation is Federal Emission laws. Basically the software did something to the catalytic convertor! This is the end of the road! Email below from HQ. If you can avoid the software update K309, avoid it!

I just wanted to reach out and advise that Jaguar Land Rover has confirmed that your vehicle's exhaust system's sound & engine performance is operating within manufacturer's specifications & as required for Federal Emissions. Your retailer will contact you to arrange for your vehicle's return to you. Should you have any questions or future concerns, please do let me know. I will follow up once you've had an opportunity to drive your vehicle more.

Old 10-28-2017, 04:21 PM
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

So if you have a 14 V8S, the recommendation is not to take it in for all the updates ?

Old 10-28-2017, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by sts-v
So if you have a 14 V8S, the recommendation is not to take it in for all the updates ?
Correct. Do not allow them to perform the K309 update.

Old 10-29-2017, 10:18 AM
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Correct. Do not allow them to perform the K309 update.
Yikes. Thank god for the forums.

Quick Reply: F Type R, exhaust noise and pops.