Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   F-Type ( X152 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/)
-   -   F-Type R Muffler Delete (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/f-type-r-muffler-delete-198816/)

JMichael_LA 03-24-2018 06:09 PM

F-Type R Muffler Delete

I have a 2017 F-Type R AWD Convertible and want to go louder. I’ve looked at VAP and Quicksilver systems, but was entertaining the idea of just doing a muffler delete with some custom black tips. I seen some discussion on here about doing this but haven’t seen anyone actually do it or post any videos yet.

What do you guys think?

Also FYI I always drive in Dynamic mode with exhaust open. I also don’t want to deal with CEL or retune so I believe 200 cell cats are not an option.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...d3f820c93.jpeg

sts-v 03-24-2018 07:28 PM

did someone spray paint your wheels while you were parked?

JMichael_LA 03-24-2018 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by sts-v (Post 1864698)

I’m sure I was parked at some point while they were in the manufacturer’s paint booth—so yes, to answer your question. Thanks for your contribution.

OzXFR 03-24-2018 08:04 PM

From my reading on the XF forum where some have tried this on the XF SC or XFR (same AJ133 5.0 SC engine as the F-Type R) and my experience with low restriction straight-through mufflers on my old XFR, it will be plenty loud all right, obnoxiously loud, but it will also be horribly droney and possibly unbearable to you.

sts-v 03-25-2018 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by JMichael_LA (Post 1864708)

I’m sure I was parked at some point while they were in the manufacturer’s paint booth—so yes, to answer your question. Thanks for your contribution.

No problem. The reason it hasnt been done is because the muffler delete will sound like shit. Then again it might work well with the obnoxiously ugly red wheels. In my recommendation, Save it for the V6 mustangs.

FType17 03-25-2018 10:29 AM

I made a set of direct pipes to "try out" for both the V6 and V8. They are certainly louder but it's not a refined sound at all. They sound awful inside (droning) and they will give the impression that you have a broken muffler rather than a performance exhaust. If you have a buddy with a pipe bender, grab some 2.5" pipe and try (2 bends per pipe). It's a subjective opinion but your taste may be different.

ek993 03-25-2018 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by sts-v (Post 1864974)
No problem. The reason it hasnt been done is because the muffler delete will sound like shit. Then again it might work well with the obnoxiously ugly red wheels. In my recommendation, Save it for the V6 mustangs.

Says the man who put a window in his hood.

FType17 03-25-2018 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by ek993 (Post 1865021)

Says the man who put a window in his hood.

You are the MAN! Awesome comeback (not mention posing a V8S as SVR)

Norri 03-25-2018 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by sts-v (Post 1864698)

Originally Posted by sts-v (Post 1864974)

We're all different, it's possible to disagree with someone's choices without being unpleasant, I'd suggest you give that a try.

Stohlen 03-25-2018 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Norri (Post 1865036)
We're all different, it's possible to disagree with someone's choices without being unpleasant, I'd suggest you give that a try.

Unfortunately, any time something doesn't match his preferences it is met with unpleasantness or name calling. Something to be monitored.

sts-v 03-25-2018 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Stohlen (Post 1865059)
Unfortunately, any time something doesn't match his preferences it is met with unpleasantness or name calling. Something to be monitored.

What name was called? So wait, when its done on my posts its ok though? :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

jaguny 03-25-2018 12:15 PM

Easy there, stv-s. Not the way to welcome a member with 8 posts (or anyone).

@JMichael: In California don't they scrutinize emissions at registration inspection? Also, are your wheels forged? Who is manufacturer? There is a running thread to post custom wheels, regardless of comment here, all welcome.

jaguny 03-25-2018 12:19 PM

Sts-v, i thought some of responses to your posts were uncalled for as well. One of things I've liked about this forum it is generally civil and incredible help forum members give to others including your contributions to others.

JMichael_LA 03-25-2018 12:46 PM

Thanks for the responsive posts here.

I was just wondering if anyone had actually done the muffler delete on the V8. I will probably end up with VAP valved system. I love the sound of the stock system with open valves, but whenever I’m around friends with exotics I realize how quiet it is.

Emissions I’m not worried, I’d make it removable so I can go back to stock easily.

The wheels... they are forged, and custom fit for my car. They are a brushed red coating. I realize it may not be for everyone, but I just wanted to do something different. I can always powder coat them another color later if I get tired of the red. I will do a separate post with better photos once I finish a few more things on the car.

Stohlen 03-25-2018 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by sts-v (Post 1865068)
What name was called? So wait, when its done on my posts its ok though? :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

You called a guy a "butthead" because he didn't post photos you didn't even ask for... This forum deserves better than your recent attitude, so please clean it up.

Stohlen 03-25-2018 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by JMichael_LA (Post 1865078)
[left]Thanks for the responsive posts here.

I was just wondering if anyone had actually done the muffler delete on the V8. I will probably end up with VAP valved system. I love the sound of the stock system with open valves, but whenever I’m around friends with exotics I realize how quiet it is.

I believe a few people have done resonator deletes, but I don't know about the entire muffler assembly. It was reported to get pretty loud; however its hard to give advice not knowing your goals. Sound is always a personal preference, and some couldn't stand even the 200 cell cats while others found it to be not near enough.

davfoto 03-25-2018 02:04 PM

Michael,

I would suggest against it. I have a V8 BMW X5 with a muffler delete and it is really annoyingly loud. I know these aren't the same car but it will not be fun while you are just cruising on the highway for long road trips. That is just my suggestion and personal experience! I am looking to put some pancake mufflers back in to keep a decent sound but definitely to muffle it a bit.

Norri 03-25-2018 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Stohlen (Post 1865117)
I believe a few people have done resonator deletes, but I don't know about the entire muffler assembly. It was reported to get pretty loud; however its hard to give advice not knowing your goals. Sound is always a personal preference, and some couldn't stand even the 200 cell cats while others found it to be not near enough.

Originally Posted by FType17 (Post 1865208)
Deleted by moderator

I quoted sts-v earlier but the comments apply to everyone, personal comments / attacks from anyone will not be tolerated here so let's move on.

Chawumba 03-25-2018 06:16 PM

With valves open it looks to me like the VAP system pretty much defaults to a straight pipe, or am I missing something?

I love my VAP system and would recommend it, the advantages being you know you'll love the sound AND you have quiet mode when you need it.

JMichael_LA 03-25-2018 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Chawumba (Post 1865237)
With valves open it looks to me like the VAP system pretty much defaults to a straight pipe, or am I missing something?

Right, that’s what got me thinking about a muffler delete. Same scenario with Capristo. Also I’ve seen a cutaway of the F-Type V6 exhaust and when the valves are open it’s pretty much also a straight pipe.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...22e017c32.jpeg

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...8c1f68640.jpeg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...bc72280d9.jpeg