Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   F-Type ( X152 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/)
-   -   F Type sports car is number 1 for the wrong reason (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/f-type-sports-car-number-1-wrong-reason-267390/)

Turko 02-18-2023 08:14 AM

F Type sports car is number 1 for the wrong reason

Hi guys.
do take a look at this article regarding Jaguar car's. Not good ....
What say you....
https://www.hotcars.com/unreliable-j...xf---7-recalls

DMeister 02-18-2023 08:41 AM

2015 is a long time ago. Surely this has been addressed in some meaningful manner by now in the later years?

bfrank1972 02-18-2023 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Turko (Post 2615567)
Hi guys.
What say you....

I say, you certainly should believe everything you read on the internet ;)

Turko 02-18-2023 09:57 AM

Ok....

Originally Posted by bfrank1972 (Post 2615587)
I say, you certainly should believe everything you read on the internet ;)

I see your point and understand your comment but then I do say to myself, who actually has the time and effort to go out of their way to think about such things and then create an article just to trash a product and in this case it's the Jaguar name brand. Doing something like this, what's in it for that person to write such a negative article. I Don't know why. Furthermore, what is the point of trashing the Jaguar cars.

Dillweed 02-18-2023 10:06 AM

After that scathing opinion on the 2015 F-Type, there is another article just below .....keep scrolling ..... titled

10 Sports Cars We'd Rather Have Instead Of A Porsche 911

#8 on the list is the 2023 Jaguar F-Type.

Supersprint Sport Exhausts 02-18-2023 10:16 AM

Right ....

Originally Posted by Dillweed (Post 2615601)
After that scathing opinion on the 2015 F-Type, there is another article just below .....keep scrolling ..... titled

10 Sports Cars We'd Rather Have Instead Of A Porsche 911

#8 on the list is the 2023 Jaguar F-Type.

I don't get the point of submitting such an article. Just to confuse the reader ?!?!?!??!

Turko 02-18-2023 10:20 AM

Consumer Reports

Jaguar at bottom of list #30
https://www.consumerreports.org/cars...s-a6159221985/

NBCat 02-18-2023 11:39 AM

Hi guys.
What say you....

One could easily write such an article about any brand. These articles are, in my opinion, to be taken with a pinch of salt.

NBCat 02-18-2023 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Turko (Post 2615608)

BMW and Subaru? Really?

sov211 02-18-2023 01:10 PM

Hi guys.
What say you....

You have to be joking…this “article” is an opinion piece written by someone who clearly has zero experience of owning or even driving a Jaguar.
Let’s see, how is this for an alternative view?: my opinion is that Jaguars are the very best, most reliable cars ever built. Why? Because my wife is in year 19 of daily use of her X-Type which has had exactly 3 minor repairs: water pump, 02 sensor, and a stripped nylon gear on the driver’s seat motor.
In balance, I’d say my opinion, even based on the single example I have given, weighs more than an opinion of a complaints list troll,no?

sov211 02-18-2023 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by NBCat (Post 2615621)
One could easily write such an article about any brand. These articles are, in my opinion, are to be taken with a pinch of salt.

With an entire 5 lb bag of salt. Worthless drivel.

bfrank1972 02-18-2023 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Turko (Post 2615595)
I see your point and understand your comment but then I do say to myself, who actually has the time and effort to go out of their way to think about such things and then create an article just to trash a product and in this case it's the Jaguar name brand. Doing something like this, what's in it for that person to write such a negative article. I Don't know why. Furthermore, what is the point of trashing the Jaguar cars.

Just another angle - top 10 most unreliable or terrible cars catches people's attention, probably moreso than top 10 most reliable and safe cars. When you read these articles, it's pretty apparent that the author has put absolutely no effort in actually researching anything material - it's just regurgitation mostly. The difference between most modern "reliable" cars and "unreliable" cars has to do with complexity. Jaguar, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, etc. All usually expensive and complicated cars, vs a Toyota truck or Subaru SUV. There will always be a percentage of the population that will neglect their cars, fail to maintain them properly. When that happens to the expensive marques, things get expensive quickly - ending up with both complaining people or people who dump their cars. Either way, it ends up giving a brand a bad reputation. Modern Jags do usually have some design flaws (as do most cars), but deal with those and you'll usually have a very solid car in the end. Just keep up the PM. Now there's a "real" article for you ;)

DMeister 02-18-2023 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Turko (Post 2615608)

Has BMW #1. All credibility lost right there, which brings the whole thing into question for me. Putting BMW above Lexus/Toyota...Yeah right

scm 02-18-2023 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by DMeister (Post 2615670)
Has BMW #1. All credibility lost right there, which brings the whole thing into question for me. Putting BMW above Lexus/Toyota...Yeah right

The "superior German engineering" myth.

MajorTom 02-18-2023 04:56 PM

American reliability ratings and articles like this always make me smile. :)

Sadly there's actually something behind the statements about the early F-Types. Some of the early supercharged V6 AJ126 engines produced up until about mid 2014 had bad conrod bearings which could blow up the engine. In the bigger models like the XF the engine just died but there seem to have been quite a few cases of F-Types going up in flames due to this, maybe because of the tighter packaging. Not sure about the US but there was a whole bunch of early V6 F-Types going up in flames in Germany, I guess because cars get driven harder there than elsewhere in the world.

jaguny 02-18-2023 05:12 PM

This says it all:

"Peter Akpejeluh is a content writer with years of experience in the automotive industry. His love for cars makes crafting colorful stories around them quite effortless. When Peter is not developing automotive content, you can."

If you look up his 200+ articles you'll see quickly his ability to "effortlessly" "craft" "colorful" stories about cars. Not giving this one another thought or word.

uncheel 02-18-2023 06:38 PM

My 1967 e-Type has failed to get me to my destination exactly one time - and, even then, had the decency to fail in my driveway (fuel pump). So, no complaints - so far.

SIH-FtyreV8R 02-19-2023 04:34 AM

I completely agree that this is at best fake news.

I have had 4 jags now as detailed below:

1. S Type 3 litre petrol. Bought car off family friend at 40k miles, services every 10k to 80k with absolutely no faults. Then no service and did not open the bonnet for next 120k miles with no problems. Traded in for

2. XF 2.7 litre deisel. Again serviced at normal intervals with no faults and traded in at 180k miles for

3. 2017 F Tyre 3 litre non s. This was a company car and only had for 6 months but did 13k miles on it with no issues, then got

4. 15 F Tyre R bought second hand at 43k miles 3.5 yrs ago and daily driver. Now done 78k miles and only fault is brust coolant pipes under the supercharger whilst at nordschleife race track lol!!!

So overall I've done some 350k miles since c 2005 with very iittle issues. Thats true fact and relaibility for you.

Compare this to known issue for 996 / 997 porsches that are badly designed and fall apart with no significant mileage.

Regards

Simon

scm 02-19-2023 05:00 AM

i too am on my fourth Jag. I started with a 2001 XK8 with about 60,000 miles on the clock. Only issue I had with it was the coolent expansion tank which split a seam. I replaced that with a 2004 XKR with 90,000 miles (!) which only had one issue - a burst oil pipe while I was driving home which resulted in dumping all the engine oil right outside my house! I had it trailered to my independent who replaced the pipe, refilled the oil and, with much trepidation, fired it up. He said it started a bit noisy but as it ran it quietened down and ran "normally". At his suggestion, I had an oil change after 500 miles and the oil was fine. So these engines really are bullerproof!

That XKR was followed by a low mileage 2010 XKR (in Kyanite Blue- fabulous colour!). That developed a wiring fault within my first 6 months so that was fixed under warranty and after that it performed perfctly - I intended to keep it forever. And then I saw the F-Type! MY18, one year old ex-Jag management car with 1,300 miles (count 'em!). Only issues with that have been a weeping diff seal, the cargo hatch was replaced after it fell off the pegs and jammed against the rear door (I broke one of the straps in forcing the hatch open), and a fuel pump connector hadn't been properly fitted so was making intermittent contact. All fixed under warranty.

Back in 2007, when I bought the first Jag, I was driving a Nissan Almera (I know, quite an upgrade!) and decided to keep it in case the Jags were unreliable - since then it's done a grand total of 1,000 miles, mostly there and back for its annual inspection and vehicle test. So yeah, I'd say Jaguars are reliable, you just have to keep on top of the routine maintenance, as you should with any car.

NBCat 02-19-2023 06:15 PM

I've personally owned over 20 Jaguars beginning with a 1963 Mk2, and despite all the jokes and sneers, not one ever left me stranded by the side of the road.

I've also found many of the people who perpetuate the misinformation about Jaguar based on vehicles from the '70s have never owned one. I guess they all got swept up in the myth of 'German Engineering'.