Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   F-Type ( X152 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/)
-   -   F Type V6 S Convertible - Highway Drone (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/f-type-v6-s-convertible-highway-drone-219094/)

Jaaaggg 06-13-2019 10:43 AM

F Type V6 S Convertible - Highway Drone

Recently picked up a 2014 V6 S and love the car. But when cruising on the highway in 8th gear at 75 MPH, where the RPMs are right around 2k, I get constant exhaust noise or drone everytime I lightly touch the throttle. This happens in Dynamic, Normal, or Snow mode. I checked to see if maybe the previous owner pulled fuse F43 to keep the active exhaust flap open all the time, but that was still in place.

Can other convertible owners chime in and let me know if this is by design? Or is my active exhaust not closing the valve/flap at lower RPMs?

scm 06-13-2019 11:16 AM

Is it a stock exhaust, or have previous owners fitted an aftermarket one?

DJS 06-13-2019 11:35 AM

I only get that once I've pulled F43, which powers down the active exhaust vacuum pump. I'd guess the valve, vacuum solenoid, or valves has failed.

Vacuum pump and solenoid are located behind the left rear wheel. My pump buzzes a lot around 1400RPM, and as my valves are squeaky, I can hear them open and close.

Jaaaggg 06-13-2019 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by scm (Post 2084443)
Is it a stock exhaust, or have previous owners fitted an aftermarket one?

Yes, verified that it is the stock exhaust.

Originally Posted by DJS (Post 2084446)
I only get that once I've pulled F43, which powers down the active exhaust vacuum pump. I'd guess the valve, vacuum solenoid, or valves has failed.

Vacuum pump and solenoid are located behind the left rear wheel. My pump buzzes a lot around 1400RPM, and as my valves are squeaky, I can hear them open and close.

I am assuming something has failed, I don't hear any valves closing after it goes through the initial start up cycle. The exhaust is constantly loud. I am assuming no codes thrown is normal behavior if some mechanism fails within the AE setup.

Unhingd 06-14-2019 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Jaaaggg (Post 2084708)
Yes, verified that it is the stock exhaust.

I am assuming something has failed, I don't hear any valves closing after it goes through the initial start up cycle. The exhaust is constantly loud. I am assuming no codes thrown is normal behavior if some mechanism fails within the AE setup.

Maybe the previous owner pulled F43 fuse and never replaced it prior to sale.

scm 06-14-2019 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd (Post 2084900)
Maybe the previous owner pulled F43 fuse and never replaced it prior to sale.

The OP has already checked that. ;)

Unhingd 06-14-2019 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by scm (Post 2084911)
The OP has already checked that. ;)

After 3 posts I forget everything that’s been said. It’s a bitch getting old.

enderle 06-14-2019 12:03 PM

I have a 2014 V8S and there was a problem fixed under warranty where the lubricant on the active exhaust baked off and they made a horrid squeaking noise when they operated. I expect, if not corrected, they'd eventually stick. This resulted in replacing the system and it hasn't had the problem since. But I'll bet the valves have stuck.

Jaaaggg 06-14-2019 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by enderle (Post 2084930)
I have a 2014 V8S and there was a problem fixed under warranty where the lubricant on the active exhaust baked off and they made a horrid squeaking noise when they operated. I expect, if not corrected, they'd eventually stick. This resulted in replacing the system and it hasn't had the problem since. But I'll bet the valves have stuck.

This is what I am leaning towards as well. Got an appointment scheduled, I'll update the post once the Tech checks it out.

lizzardo 06-16-2019 09:41 AM

My active exhaust because passively loud when a rodent chewed through the vacuum line at the firewall. If you don't hear any difference at idle when you switch it, there's something wrong.

Unhingd 06-16-2019 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by lizzardo (Post 2085696)
My active exhaust because passively loud when a rodent chewed through the vacuum line at the firewall. If you don't hear any difference at idle when you switch it, there's something wrong.

Even with the switch off, I don’t think there’s enough vacuum to close the valves at idle. Mine won’t close until the engine RPM is up just a bit. Maybe that’s just at start.

DJS 06-16-2019 02:28 PM

That’s the way it works, even with the electric vacuum pump. Open at idle, closed at a bit above idle, opens as revs increase.

lizzardo 06-16-2019 03:40 PM

On start mine's initially loud, but vacuum builds quickly enough that it'll quiet down. Once it comes off of fast idle, three's a noticeable difference between off and on. When that stopped, it was a sign that something was amiss. The vacuum leak was at the firewall right behind the symposer. Fortunately it was easy to find and patch. Not sure how they found it. Maybe smoke?

Unhingd 06-16-2019 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by lizzardo (Post 2085845)
On start mine's initially loud, but vacuum builds quickly enough that it'll quiet down. Once it comes off of fast idle, three's a noticeable difference between off and on. When that stopped, it was a sign that something was amiss. The vacuum leak was at the firewall right behind the symposer. Fortunately it was easy to find and patch. Not sure how they found it. Maybe smoke?

Depends on what they were smoking.

lizzardo 06-17-2019 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd (Post 2085879)
Depends on what they were smoking.

If they got "small" enough they could walk the vacuum line.

StormtrooperFtype 06-19-2019 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd (Post 2085800)
Even with the switch off, I don’t think there’s enough vacuum to close the valves at idle. Mine won’t close until the engine RPM is up just a bit. Maybe that’s just at start.

Ya same with mine, on cold start its loud, then if the exhaust is off it quiets down but while the revs are still up if I turn it on it will make a noticeable difference, once the car is up to Temp I can here no difference during idle, when its off the valves dont close till 1500-1750 RPM then I can here them close, but then will open again after 4 or 5k rpm. Lately they have been rattling and squeaking, I am already on my third exhaust on the F-type, all replaced by warranty.

Unhingd 06-19-2019 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by StormtrooperFtype (Post 2087077)
Ya same with mine, on cold start its loud, then if the exhaust is off it quiets down but while the revs are still up if I turn it on it will make a noticeable difference, once the car is up to Temp I can here no difference during idle, when its off the valves dont close till 1500-1750 RPM then I can here them close, but then will open again after 4 or 5k rpm. Lately they have been rattling and squeaking, I am already on my third exhaust on the F-type, all replaced by warranty.

I have noticed that the valves on the VAP exhaust are of superior quality as campared to that of the OEM valves. The return spring is also stronger, so the valve is less likely to rattle.

StormtrooperFtype 06-20-2019 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd (Post 2087122)
I have noticed that the valves on the VAP exhaust are of superior quality as campared to that of the OEM valves. The return spring is also stronger, so the valve is less likely to rattle.

I would get the VAP exhaust 100% if it wasn't for the warranty issue, I know generally a catback or axleback would not void any warranty, but Since My cat's have been replaced twice already, I don't want to void the exhaust warranty either, Plus I'm still not sure if the car is going to be bought back by the dealer, Lawyers are going at it. Jaguar NA did offer me a few thousand in compensation for the issues I had with the car, but still fighting for the dealer buyback. Next car- Either R coupe or RS5

enderle 06-20-2019 11:32 AM

Best of luck!