Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   F-Type ( X152 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/)
-   -   F type v6s build thread (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/f-type-v6s-build-thread-200079/)

Guest1 04-15-2018 01:46 PM

F type v6s build thread

5 Attachment(s)
Hey guys, I decided to document my car build and progress. I am not a hands on or mechanically knowledgeable car dude so hopefully you guys can give me advise or help as my car progresses.

A bit of history with the car, it started out with the VAP tune, eurotoys crank pulley, 200 cell cats, eventuri intake, KW V3s, AP brakes 6 pistons f/ 4 pistons in the back. Custom brake duct from front side intake area

I also did the "free mods" such as taking the engine cover off, the foam in front of the intercooler off, I took off the pedestrian airbags off and used electronic cancellation kit on it, took off the eco battery which is my favorite mod.

Guest1 04-15-2018 01:54 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Then, my engine seized, I still don't know exactly what happened to it because Jaguar is gonna take the engine back and examine it so that could take up to 2 or 3 month. From what I am told based on the pictures I have, it is due to oil starvation issues, which is a problem with our cars. The digital oil gauge seems finicky and before the engine went there weren't any warning lights or messages or anything.

When we took it apart, the 200 cell cats had some strange stuff in it and it was failing, so I decided to go straight pipes for now.

Guest1 04-15-2018 02:05 PM

5 Attachment(s)
So after about a two month waiting period I got my car back with an new engine.

While I am breaking it in again I want to do things differently this time.

To start off, I am ordering an intercooler for the car as well as an aquamist kit, probably wanna run 50/50. I have ported the supercharger and am trying to get maxbore's George to do the throttle body porting.

Then I wanna run a custom tune on it with better mid to top end speed with the meth. I want to add gauges for oil issues but am unsure what to get or what I should look out for. Here is what the car looks like now with some of the CMST parts. I like CMST because I need the front intake duct for the eventuri intakes and brake ducts

The red convertible is the CMST build car.

Anyway, I welcome any suggestions or critique as I build the car.

ndabunka 04-15-2018 02:10 PM

Welcome back & congrats on getting the engine replace on Jaguar's "dime", right? If so, then that is good news that others here need to be aware of even if the oil starvation is an extremely rare occurrence & is isolated to the v6 engines (I think, right?)

I recognize all the terms except the KWv3s? What is that?

Guest1 04-15-2018 02:14 PM

I don't really know how rare or often the oil starvation occurrences are, but it does put me in anxiety because I am not sure how to prevent it from happening again, even if I go stock.

It wasn't on Jaguars dime, not entirely anyway but hey, gotta pay to play right.

ndabunka 04-15-2018 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Guest1 (Post 1877546)
I don't really know how rare or often the oil starvation occurrences are, but it does put me in anxiety because I am not sure how to prevent it from happening again, even if I go stock.

It wasn't on Jaguars dime, not entirely anyway but hey, gotta pay to play right.

Ah! OK. Then if not all on their dime, how much of it did they cover? No issue if you don't want to share the details. Good luck with the new project

Guest1 04-15-2018 02:31 PM

Ya, the dealer isn't comfortable with me saying how much they paid so unfortunately I can't disclose more details. VAP is the only tune I have on the car, no other tunes. The engine died at 24000 miles give or take. Actually Stuart was the one that told me it is an oil starvation issue as the engine kinda just melted. I don't know any more details than that. Maybe I can get Jaguar to disclose more info once they dig it apart. I plan on keeping the car stock until I know more.

Thanks for the advice on checking oil level, I did search for that but I think I wanna monitor intake temperatures as well so I know when to let off in case it does gets too hot or something. Anyone know where I can get a good gauge or something for this purpose?

sts-v 04-15-2018 03:05 PM

details on the intercooler for the car as well as an aquamist kit please.

Guest1 04-15-2018 03:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't have details on the intercooler or aquamist kit. The intercooler is custom made, about 20%bigger and supposedly can decrease intake temperature by around 15 degrees. Once I get it in the shop I can give you more details. I plan on monitoring the temperatures with before/after.

The aquamist kit, I am talking with Richard from aquamist UK, so far he made a wiring diagram for me to check with the ecu wire colors. My shop is doing that and I have no more info. The pump goes in the trunk of the car and thats really all we have decided for now. I attached the diagram if that helps but so far its still at the planning stage.

Unhingd 04-15-2018 03:21 PM

That gunk in the cats is burnt oil that made it's way past the disintegrating piston rings. All of us should put a bi-weekly reminder in our calendars to check the oil level.

sts-v 04-15-2018 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Guest1 (Post 1877583)
I don't have details on the intercooler or aquamist kit. The intercooler is custom made, about 20%bigger and supposedly can decrease intake temperature by around 15 degrees. Once I get it in the shop I can give you more details. I plan on monitoring the temperatures with before/after.

The aquamist kit, I am talking with Richard from aquamist UK, so far he made a wiring diagram for me to check with the ecu wire colors. My shop is doing that and I have no more info. The pump goes in the trunk of the car and thats really all we have decided for now. I attached the diagram if that helps but so far its still at the planning stage.

Where did you get the intercooler from, or where can I get it from?

Guest1 04-15-2018 03:49 PM

I am getting the intercooler from Taiwan, the only reason I am getting it from Taiwan is because shipping is cheaper and my shop recommended it to me. The car is in China and it takes a long time for customs to clear if I order from UK or US so I try to order from Hong Kong or Taiwan if I can.

I don't know anything about intercoolers, there isn't any data that I can find. But I think VAP, paramount performance and eurotoys all offer intercoolers for our cars.

I'd be happy to share pictures and results and how to order if you are interested, but it hasnt arrived yet and I don't really know if it is worth the money or not at this point.

sts-v 04-15-2018 03:57 PM

Ok. please keep us updated with your info.

Unhingd 04-15-2018 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by sts-v (Post 1877599)
Where did you get the intercooler from, or where can I get it from?

Here's another source:
https://www.paramount-performance.co...V6-Tuning.html

I also think that VAP had them available as well.

sts-v 04-16-2018 09:06 AM

Yeah, those heat exchangers are like $100-200 aftermarket. Not worth $1300+ for a bracket and maybe a different fitting.

SinF 04-16-2018 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Guest1 (Post 1877537)
Then, my engine seized ... due to oil starvation issues.

This is not the first report of this happening to AJ engines. What was your oil change interval?

Stohlen 04-16-2018 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by sts-v (Post 1877991)
Yeah, those heat exchangers are like $100-200 aftermarket. Not worth $1300+ for a bracket and maybe a different fitting.

If you can find someone to buy your OEM used downpipes for $1800 I’m sure you can afford the premium.

sts-v 04-16-2018 09:47 AM

Affording it isnt the problem, junior. its knowing better.

Guest1 04-16-2018 11:54 AM

My oil change interval is every 3000 miles. However it's not a daily driver so time interval wise it was almost one year since my last change.

I was actually trying to get the oil change done one week before the engine went but due to holidays I couldn't schedule it in.

Brava 04-16-2018 12:25 PM

So you checked the digital gauge, which was showing fine, and yet the engine went off because of oil starvation?

or you did not bother to check the digital gauge at all?