F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could The Jaguar F-Type Successor Be An All-Electric Baby C-X75?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 12:14 PM
Received 258 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Could The Jaguar F-Type Successor Be An All-Electric Baby C-X75?

Take a look at your calendar and it’s hard to believe the Jaguar F-Type will be six years old this year. Typically, automakers launch a model redesign every five to seven years, give or take, so the clock is definitely ticking for a new F-Type. Question is, will it be a direct continuation of today’s car with a front-engined setup and V8 power, a hybrid, or something else entirely?

Road and Track caught up with Jaguar design chief Ian Callum at Paris last week and pushed him for an answer regarding this very subject. First off, Callum did not deny that a new F-Type is in the works, so that’s already a good sign. He also didn’t specifically say whether or not the name ‘F-Type’ will continue. How does ‘G-Type’ sound to you? Honestly, we’re not entirely sold on it, at least not yet.

2Anyway, what Callum did have to say was quite interesting, specifically regarding its rumored hybrid setup. “This (a hybrid) is not necessarily the plan. There’s not a plan, to be honest with you. But we went through a great big debate about it. The all-new F-Type, what it should be, and so on. I would like to do a mid-engine-style electric car, I think that would be the ultimate for me. Like a C-X75 (the concept car shown at the top of this page). You know, mid-cabin, mid-engined proportions, but electric. I think that would be a phenomenal car. And it’s in my head, and you know, probably a few scribbles here and there. But we haven’t committed to that, and we may not do that in time for me the see that through, unfortunately.”

Related:

Here's Why The 2017 Jaguar XJ Still Matters Despite Its Age

2018 Jaguar F-Type Test Drive Review: Light and Right

Obviously, this is very good news for fans of the never built C-X75 hybrid-electric concept, which first premiered in 2010. It later returned in 2015 for an appearance in the James Bond flick “Spectre”. If the F-Type’s successor were to be an all-electric coupe and convertible with mid-engine proportions then, to be honest, we’d be thrilled.

Remember, Jaguar now has experience with EV tech thanks to the I-Pace. Could the I-Pace’s platform be modified, in this case, shortened, for a sports car? From what we’ve heard this would be technically possible. And speaking of new Jaguars, what about an XJ replacement? The current flagship sedan arrived way back in 2009 and though it still looks great today, Callum not only re-confirmed a redesign is coming but also that it’ll represent “a step forward.” But in what way?

Well, for starters, size. Callum pointed out that despite a slowdown in sales, the XJ remains the most fun to drive in its segment. Above all, he doesn’t think consumers will completely ditch sedans in favor of crossovers. “People are fickle,” he said. “I think there may be a risk that people will grow up with SUVs, but there will be a generation beyond millennials that will not want SUVs. I think they will want sedans again. I think it might move back, and so we have to be prepared.” Callum didn’t offer up any next-gen XJ specifics, but a rumor not long ago pegged it as an all-electric Tesla fighter.

2That would make sense given Callum’s “step forward” claim and, once again, the I-Pace’s platform. We don’t have exact dates as to when the new F-Type and XJ will appear, but it’s a good bet the sedan will arrive first. Regardless of powertrain, when it comes to design Jaguar is an undisputed industry leader, thanks to the one and only Ian Callum.

The following 2 users liked this post by zach05855:
tberg (10-09-2018), u102768 (10-09-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 12:26 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,382 Likes on 1,049 Posts

Given that various governments are mandating that sales of new petrol and diesel cars have to stop within a couple of decades, it'd be a brave (or foolish!) man that develops anything that uses fossil fuel. I liked the original C-X75 concept, an efficient ICE generating power to drive electric motors, it's a shame that "hybrids" don't adopt that technology.

The following users liked this post:
ndabunka (10-10-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 02:43 PM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

I expect it is going to be a long, long ,long wait until the next F-Type. My prediction is 2025-26.

Old 10-09-2018, 03:11 PM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
Given that various governments are mandating that sales of new petrol and diesel cars have to stop within a couple of decades, it'd be a brave (or foolish!) man that develops anything that uses fossil fuel. I liked the original C-X75 concept, an efficient ICE generating power to drive electric motors, it's a shame that "hybrids" don't adopt that technology.
When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty.
I hope Brexit goes well for the UK; at least it's a start.

The following 2 users liked this post by fujicoupe:
Mulmur (10-09-2018), ndabunka (10-10-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 06:54 AM
Banned
Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

Whilst I agree that any sensible manufacturer will have EV or hybrid in production or development, my prediction is that the expected demise of petrol (gasoline) and diesel powered vehicles is unlikely to occur in the timescale being suggested.

Thought experiment go back thirty years and examine how many predictions of how we would be living today have come to fruition and how many things weren't even predicted that are now in widespread use. Predictions of the future are notoriously unreliable.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:35 AM
WJV
Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

I read an article a few days ago that the successor to the F-Type is not the C-X75, but a more GT-like version of what we have, only larger with a small back seat. Release dates are looking like 2021. The C-X75, or whatever it ends up being called, is set to become Jaguar's supercar and in a different class & price bracket.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by WJV
I read an article a few days ago that the successor to the F-Type is not the C-X75, but a more GT-like version of what we have, only larger with a small back seat. Release dates are looking like 2021. The C-X75, or whatever it ends up being called, is set to become Jaguar's supercar and in a different class & price bracket.
I think you may be referring to the successor for the XK, which they have talked about bringing back.

https://autoweek.com/article/rumormi...-back-probably

THE JAGUAR XK MAY MAKE A RETURN

New Jaguar 2+2 could use extended F-Type bones

MAY 21, 2018

• Facebook
  • Tweet
  • Pinterest
  • Email

Before the perfectly proportioned Jaguar F-Type made its debut, the XK coupe was one of the best looking cars on the planet. Tough too -- I was rear-ended in an XKR a few years ago and can honestly say even with a flat tire and bent rim, it still gave chase to a hit-and-run drunk driver. The XK was discontinued in 2014 and for a while had a foggy future considering the proliferation of crossovers and SUVs. But according to Autocar, plans of a relaunch are gathering steam.

“The F-Type has been a huge success,” Hanno Kirner, who oversees product strategy for the next decade at Jaguar said. “We love sports cars – and I use the plural quite deliberately. Whether that is delivered by a body variant or something else remains to be seen, but for now let’s just say that the body type is very important for us.”

Jag’s head of design hinted about a new 2+2 last year saying, “we’re working on something now.” Autocar is guessing we won’t get a whiff until at least 2021.

CAR REVIEWS

2018 Jaguar F-Type 2-liter first drive: Fewer cylinders but missing nothing

When the new F-Type came out five years ago, it offered V6 and V8 engine options. Weirdly enough, we liked the six about as much as we liked the eight. The chassis is so refined and the body that ...

The current F-Type still uses a shortened version of the old XK platform, but the next one will get new bones to ride on. In theory it should be flexible enough to stretch it back to the XK’s longer proportions. A hybrid version isn’t out of the realm of possibility either, which would have scared us at one point, but not now. In a world with hybrid McLarens, Porsches and Ferraris, there’s no reason engineers can’t do a fast, flexible, hybrid Jag.

There are plenty of engines for the new car to choose from. The F-Type’s Ingenium four makes 296 hp and of course the rip-roaring 572-hp 5.0-liter is also an option. Imagine an XKR SVR, bumped up to 600 hp or so.

We love, love the F-Type here at Autoweek. We had an R for a full year and relished every minute of it. And, personally for me, I think it’s one of the best-looking and best-proportioned cars of the decade.

Let’s do it Jag. Put the V8 in there, make it a little bigger than the F-Type but nearly identical and call it a day. It can start at $90K and go up from there. Both convertible and hardtop versions please, thanks!

Read more: https://autoweek.com/article/rumormi...#ixzz5TY1BRIMY

Old 10-10-2018, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Clearly, Autoweek did not get the memo about the V8 production demise.

Old 10-10-2018, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by fujicoupe
When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty. I hope Brexit goes well for the UK; at least it's a start.
Hear hear... .. after BREXIT comes NEXIT ...

Old 10-10-2018, 03:54 PM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_NL
Hear hear... .. after BREXIT comes NEXIT ...
May it be just the beginning of returning the European continent to sanity.

Old 10-10-2018, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I've been told the new Evoque [march 2019] will be a scaled down velar with velar seats and a 3-cylinder hybrid that sounds almost like a V6 due to some exhaust colliding channels..
This engine puts out around 40gr CO2 and 170HP ICE and 200HP electric, in harmony around 300HP.. Sound like a hybrid module for an F2-Type...

I doubt if they ever name it G-Type unless it comes in 50 shades of grey..

Old 10-10-2018, 04:15 PM

Except, Rumor is that BMW will supply V8 to Jaguar.

https://carbuzz.com/news/new-rumor-h...-jaguar-f-type

Although only recently refreshed for the 2019 model year, speculation has already begun about the next generation Jaguar F-Type. Some rumors indicate it could be replaced by a new, mid-engine sports car called the J-Type, while other rumors point to the F-Type going electric. Now, Car Magazine believes the 2020 F-Type will arrive as a lighter, roomier model with a new power source. The UK outlet believes the F-Type will ditch the 5.0-liter supercharged V8 in favor of an engine from BMW. This would be the second recent sports car (the first being the Toyota Supra) to borrow BMW power. The car has been given the internal codename, Project Jennifer, and is expected to borrow BMW's 4.4-liter twin-turbo V8 pumping out 560 horsepower.

Old 10-10-2018, 04:32 PM

It must be my advancing age, but I am tired of the baseless speculation that passes for reporting in the automotive press. When I was a baby facts were reported when they were known to be facts. And Henry N Manney lll and Rob Walker wrote about automotive sports with authority. The threads on this forum are more informative than the press coverage.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts

A number of us speculated this about 3 or 4 months ago in a prior thread back when Jaguar announced that they had hired the prior Ford GT designer. Welcome to the guessing game

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...switch-202043/
-
https://carbuzz.com/news/jaguar-land...he-new-ford-gt

Last edited by ndabunka; 10-10-2018 at 11:13 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
A small ICE power electric motors on each wheel WAS done by... FISKER and due to poor management and worse production capabilities, they went belly up only to recently have been purchased out of bankruptcy
I was a HUGE advocate of the design as it can also be EXTREMELY efficient. Modern trains aren't actually "Diesel" bur rather those diesel engines are used to power electric motors that ACTUALLY drive the wheels.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:43 AM
Banned
Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Suaro
It must be my advancing age, but I am tired of the baseless speculation that passes for reporting in the automotive press. When I was a baby facts were reported when they were known to be facts. And Henry N Manney lll and Rob Walker wrote about automotive sports with authority. The threads on this forum are more informative than the press coverage.
Tend to agree, can't see much to support the view that journalists speculation is more valid than my own.

Jaguar recently opened a new engine manufacturing plant that also has engine design incorporated, they have used modular concepts with engines for several years with AJ126 and AJ133. I wonder what advantage would be to having a mix of inhouse designed and manufactured engines and a bought in engine from BMW or anyone else.
I can't remember when Jaguar ever used other companies engines, even in times past when they were starved of investment.

Regarding unhinged point about the demise of Jaguar V8, I sadly agree, the trend for many years across most of car industry has been to engine downsizing both in terms of fewer cylinders and lower engine displacement.

Last edited by Paul_59; 10-11-2018 at 06:48 AM.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Paul_59
Regarding unhinged point about the demise of Jaguar V8, I sadly agree, the trend for many years across most of car industry has been to engine downsizing both in terms of fewer cylinders and lower engine displacement.
Fewer cylinders and less displacement yes, but I could easily see a 2.0 I-4 driving electric motors with a lithium battery pack to exceed the output of the AJ-133 V8.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:53 AM

Fewer cylinders and less displacement yes, but I could easily see a 2.0 I-4 driving electric motors with a lithium battery pack to exceed the output of the AJ-133 V8.
Just like a Volvo, and about as desirable.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:13 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,382 Likes on 1,049 Posts

Ah, but if Jaguar did it, it'd be something special.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, but at 1000hp, even if butt fugly, people will spend millions (eg. Veyron).

Quick Reply: Could The Jaguar F-Type Successor Be An All-Electric Baby C-X75?