F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fitted H&R’s and now get clanging sound over pot holes and gaps in the road. HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 03:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitted H&R’s and now get clanging sound over pot holes and gaps in the road. HELP

I just had H&R lowering springs fitted to my car and now every time i go over potholes or small gaps in the road I getting a clanging noise from the front suspension. My mechanic checked all the nuts but everything is fine, any ideas what it could be and has anyone else had the same??

Old 07-22-2018, 12:00 PM
Received 236 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark D
I just had H&R lowering springs fitted to my car and now every time i go over potholes or small gaps in the road I getting a clanging noise from the front suspension. My mechanic checked all the nuts but everything is fine, any ideas what it could be and has anyone else had the same??
I have an idea based on what I saw while customizing my springs. Pretty sure the H&R springs are progressive rate - if so, and if they are like the VAP springs I worked with, the top coils are smaller, the idea they will compress first on smaller bumps. They will collapse fully and then the next stiffer coil will compress, etc. The factory perch comes with a rubber wrap that is meant to minimize the impact when the first coils collapse against each other. Wondering if its possible the rubber wrap is out of place and you are hearing the smaller coils clang against each other?

Old 07-23-2018, 09:41 AM
Received 146 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Chawumba
I have an idea based on what I saw while customizing my springs. Pretty sure the H&R springs are progressive rate - if so, and if they are like the VAP springs I worked with, the top coils are smaller, the idea they will compress first on smaller bumps. They will collapse fully and then the next stiffer coil will compress, etc. The factory perch comes with a rubber wrap that is meant to minimize the impact when the first coils collapse against each other. Wondering if its possible the rubber wrap is out of place and you are hearing the smaller coils clang against each other?
This is correct, the rubber spring raps are a good idea to put back on from the factory springs, i didn't at first, and when your really in it and hit a bump it will make the noise you speak of. its a bitch to get them on after installed because they need to be at the top (the progressive portion of the spring).

Old 07-23-2018, 10:36 AM

Yep, just looked at the old springs and they are still on there. Thanks guys I think your spot on, I will tell my mechanic to finish the job🤦🏼*♂️

Old 03-04-2019, 05:46 AM

So, I know its been a while but I finally got the rubbers fitted and it seemed to be better at first but after a few miles its back and as bad as ever. I now think that its down to the spring being shorter and when the wheel drops down a pot hole or gap in the road the top mount lifts away from the spring and then clangs when it returns. This would also explain why when in sports suspension mode it is less noticeable as the damping is increased and so the speed the mounts can move is slowed. I also do not get the sounds on hitting bumps so it must be this. Without actually seeing the setup my first thought would be some kind of rubber plate to stop the noise and/or fill the possible gap and therefore keep the spring compressed at all times. Am I just being stupid or is this possible? im a car geek but never worked on one so although I understand the principles (Being an engineer) I have little knowledge of the reality. Can anyone help as to be honest it is really ruining the experience for me and I love the look but cant live with the noise but don't really have the spare cash at the minute to fork out £700 to fit some VAP springs.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:22 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Subscribed. I have the exact same issue. Tried the same thing with the wrap and it's made the noise less but haven't gone away...

Old 03-04-2019, 09:12 AM

Im so glad im not alone with this issue

Old 03-04-2019, 09:45 AM

So, I know its been a while but I finally got the rubbers fitted and it seemed to be better at first but after a few miles its back and as bad as ever. I now think that its down to the spring being shorter and when the wheel drops down a pot hole or gap in the road the top mount lifts away from the spring and then clangs when it returns. This would also explain why when in sports suspension mode it is less noticeable as the damping is increased and so the speed the mounts can move is slowed. I also do not get the sounds on hitting bumps so it must be this. Without actually seeing the setup my first thought would be some kind of rubber plate to stop the noise and/or fill the possible gap and therefore keep the spring compressed at all times. Am I just being stupid or is this possible? im a car geek but never worked on one so although I understand the principles (Being an engineer) I have little knowledge of the reality. Can anyone help as to be honest it is really ruining the experience for me and I love the look but cant live with the noise but don't really have the spare cash at the minute to fork out £700 to fit some VAP springs.
Memory isn't what is used to be and I've done spring swaps on all my various cars, but if I recall correctly, I had to use my spring compressors to re-assemble the F type in front - my point being their is preload on the spring so I don't see how the spring could be pulling away from the mount, (unless maybe you are rally jumping and the whole frame is flexing :-) ).

Curious, is it only those with H&R springs? Don't have this issue with the VAP ones, wonder if different spring diameter is effecting how it sits on the spring perch? I also find it interesting that the rubber wrap helped for a while - is it possible they have shifted out of position? One side or both?

Old 03-04-2019, 09:55 AM
Received 146 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Chawumba
Memory isn't what is used to be and I've done spring swaps on all my various cars, but if I recall correctly, I had to use my spring compressors to re-assemble the F type in front - my point being their is preload on the spring so I don't see how the spring could be pulling away from the mount, (unless maybe you are rally jumping and the whole frame is flexing :-) ).

Curious, is it only those with H&R springs? Don't have this issue with the VAP ones, wonder if different spring diameter is effecting how it sits on the spring perch? I also find it interesting that the rubber wrap helped for a while - is it possible they have shifted out of position? One side or both?
yes same, i had to use a compressor also on my H&Rs to repack the spring. i have no clang, possible you got the wrong springs for your application?

Old 03-04-2019, 10:11 AM

The clank noise can only be heard on the rear springs and both do it. When I say it worked for a while I mean it seemed to be better for a short time but they packed it enough to expand the spring as they did also use some additional hose to be sure they got all the areas covered and maybe that helped for a short while until it all settled. Definitely not the wrong springs.

Old 03-04-2019, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

I’ve been driving with the H&Rs for 3.5 years/30k miles. No clanking on the poorly maintained roads in the DC area.

Old 03-04-2019, 05:51 PM

The clank noise can only be heard on the rear springs and both do it. When I say it worked for a while I mean it seemed to be better for a short time but they packed it enough to expand the spring as they did also use some additional hose to be sure they got all the areas covered and maybe that helped for a short while until it all settled. Definitely not the wrong springs.
Seems like you could find/get/make something of rubber to reinforce the spring/perch contact areas, but you risk increasing the height of the car. Sorry, I got nothing else for ya...

Old 03-06-2019, 07:58 AM

I think I’m just going to have to swap them out for VAP springs but I will have to wait until next year at this rate as it’s not on the spreadsheet.🤪

Old 03-07-2019, 11:40 AM
Received 118 Likes on 29 Posts

You might be missing a washer under the top nut of the strut. I had this same issue - if you can reproduce the sound by standing beside the car and try to bounce the front (with the hood up obviously) and you are able to hear the sound, take a look at the strut top, if it's moving under the top nut then the strut is hitting the bottom of that nut (the nut can only go on so far) making a clanking sound.

It was driving me crazy for months - had some friends look at it with me and we noticed the space between the top nut and the strut were hitting eachother. Not sure why that happened with the aftermarket springs, but I went and bought some 1/2" ID metal washers and tightened it back down and now it's as quiet as ever.

Also yes, definitely use the OEM spring rubber around the top coils.

The following users liked this post:
conbrash (03-25-2020)
Old 03-09-2019, 08:42 AM
Received 119 Likes on 68 Posts

Just installed my h&r and I dont have this issue.

Old 03-29-2020, 12:43 PM
Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm afraid I may have this happening to my car, do you have a picture or something to better describe your old issue?

Originally Posted by frostysauce
You might be missing a washer under the top nut of the strut. I had this same issue - if you can reproduce the sound by standing beside the car and try to bounce the front (with the hood up obviously) and you are able to hear the sound, take a look at the strut top, if it's moving under the top nut then the strut is hitting the bottom of that nut (the nut can only go on so far) making a clanking sound.

It was driving me crazy for months - had some friends look at it with me and we noticed the space between the top nut and the strut were hitting eachother. Not sure why that happened with the aftermarket springs, but I went and bought some 1/2" ID metal washers and tightened it back down and now it's as quiet as ever.

Also yes, definitely use the OEM spring rubber around the top coils.

Old 03-29-2020, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by conbrash
I'm afraid I may have this happening to my car, do you have a picture or something to better describe your old issue?
There is a rubber shoe over the top or bottom of the OEM springs. Perhaps the installer failed to refit that when installing the new springs.

Last edited by Unhingd; 03-29-2020 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:55 PM
Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
There is a rubber shoe. Over the top or bottom of the OEM springs. Perhaps the installer failed to refit that when installing the new springs.

Unfortunately, it's my original springs/struts . The car only has 30k miles, I have tried everything to find the source of this thud/clunk. It's only low speed, I can reproduce by bouncing the front. I got underneath and the sound is definitely coming from the strut/spring.

Anything would help!

Old 03-29-2020, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by conbrash
Unfortunately, it's my original springs/struts . The car only has 30k miles, I have tried everything to find the source of this thud/clunk. It's only low speed, I can reproduce by bouncing the front. I got underneath and the sound is definitely coming from the strut/spring.

Anything would help!
Check the nuts on the shock tower

Old 03-29-2020, 01:32 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,064 Likes on 1,369 Posts

And the bolt on the cross brace that’s visible in Unhingd’s picture.

Quick Reply: Fitted H&R’s and now get clanging sound over pot holes and gaps in the road. HELP