Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   F-Type ( X152 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/)
-   -   found a couple of CPO F-type R's... but (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/found-couple-cpo-f-type-rs-but-218974/)

zk1 06-10-2019 08:51 PM

found a couple of CPO F-type R's... but

I see a couple in the low 50's, but the carfax says either "damage reported" or "accident". the accident one has details and it says it hit a parked car and rear damage so I assume that is a low speed minor bump.

but I thought a CPO car had to have no accidents?

also, does the CPO warranty equal the coverage of the initial 5 year warranty? if not, anyone can link me to a brochure that details exclusions? was wondering how robust it was. and I also keep seeing variances whether its 6 or 7 years total coverage.

might have to step down to an S if all the non damaged R's are 60k or more

btw looking at 2016+. I really want to get at least 4 years of warranty coverage remaining

usgpru27 06-11-2019 08:05 AM

I just sold my Volvo Polestar that had the same type of car fax. Someone was rear ended behind me and literally touched me but I stayed at the scene as you are required to. No damage. Police officer put me on the police report. I lost 15% of the value in diminished value even with pictures etc. It really sucks. That said if its via a dealer and its CPO I would hold them to the quality of the repairs and any issues associated with it. I would not be scared of the cars but understand you are getting a good price now and expect others to have the same concerns when you sell.
My R is CPO and they extended the warrantee one year. I understand it can be 2 years at a cost. My 17 had a year of service on it when I got it so it was nice to get a restart on the warrantee.

16fnrbrg 06-11-2019 01:31 PM

Of the 11 Jaguars we have owned, many had no warranty because of our then-budget. It wasn't an issue, because I had learned how to inspect and qualify vehicles we considered. We've owned new ones with full warranties, and CPO's, and another that was warrantable under specific circumstances. To best advise you on what I've learned, feel free to give me a ring at (707)688-1015
Doc

bluejaag 06-11-2019 06:19 PM

Just closed on a 16R CPO with warranty until August 2023, was looking for months. Was in the same exact market as I think you are looking at. Really I found that a decent/good example with >30k miles is most likely high 50's or low 60's.

* Edited I think CPO cars are most often one owner, no accidents on CarFax. But some have a damage report.

- I believe the CPO warranty offers practically the same coverage as from new. In that respect, I think it is as close to the best coverage you could expect buying Jaguar used.

-From what I have seen and responses I have gathered, the CPO warranty is 95% of the time a one year extension on the 5 year. So 6 years total. But you can say "how much for the extra year, to make it 7 years?" - I asked and got my 7th year for an extra $1200, but probably could get for $1000 extra.

- Almost as equally important as CPO, is when was the original car purchase reported? Because this is when the warranty clock was effectively started. Some were sold in November 2015, others January 2016, others July 2016. I think you want the latest sale possible, look for 'vehicle purchase reported'. Mine was bought in August 2016, one of the latest that I could find in several months of searching.

- Expanding your search with S models will definitely increase scope and what you can find. Even though these cars may be hard to sell, it only takes one person to take it away. I would say soon as you feel your heart is set on that particular car, ya gotta pounce!

fuzzysquid 06-11-2019 06:48 PM

Yeah bought my '16 S Coupe as a CPO. I thought accidents were not allowed under CPO, but guess I was wrong. My carfax came out clean. Yes, your original in-service date is very important as mentioned above, that is when the clocks starts on your warranty.

Mine was Nov of '15, which means I have until Nov '20 under the original warranty.

The CPO warranty DOES NOT cover everything that the original warranty covers. It covers less, basically just mechanical issues, or maybe even just engine issues. You need to get anything else fixed under the original warranty.

One year of CPO warranty came with the car (taking me to Nov '21 under CPO), and I bought an additional year beyond that for ~$2600 (taking me to Nov '22). I was given the option of 1 year/100k or 1 year/75k. I elected for 75k, as it cost less and I don't expect I'll surpass that by Nov 2022.

I regret not getting the wheel repair coverage for $400, as I've already curbed the damned wheels twice.

BritCars 06-11-2019 07:46 PM

CPO covers a lot more than just mechanical issues. But it's not at the same level as the new car warranty. It will cover mechanical and electrical failures across the car. It doesn't cover any wear parts, and also excludes things like bushings and rubber seals. There is a specific doc that details what is and is not included. In general it's very good and well regarded in the trade

I also didn't think an accident car could be a CPO. But are you sure these ones are CPO or they just have the extended warranty. It can be confusing. If you buy a new jag today you could buy the extra 2 yrs of warranty on the spot to get to 7 years. If you then have an accident and sell it a few years later people would say it has the CPO (as it has the extended warranty). But it may not be a CPO - just a used car with the longer warranty

zk1 06-11-2019 08:04 PM

it definitely seems $1-2k for another year would be worth it. will definitely keep the inservice date in mind. it seems like I could choose my spec with the S but would happily throw that out the window if an R was in my range haha

zk1 06-11-2019 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by BritCars (Post 2083622)
CPO covers a lot more than just mechanical issues. But it's not at the same level as the new car warranty. It will cover mechanical and electrical failures across the car. It doesn't cover any wear parts, and also excludes things like bushings and rubber seals. There is a specific doc that details what is and is not included. In general it's very good and well regarded in the trade

I also didn't think an accident car could be a CPO. But are you sure these ones are CPO or they just have the extended warranty. It can be confusing. If you buy a new jag today you could buy the extra 2 yrs of warranty on the spot to get to 7 years. If you then have an accident and sell it a few years later people would say it has the CPO (as it has the extended warranty). But it may not be a CPO - just a used car with the longer warranty

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

that is the one I found. It clearny says CPO on the carfax along with the damage reported. it also has a late in-service date 7/26/2016. it seems like its too good to be true though especially with the unknown damage. it's 5k lower than any other 2016

bjg625 06-11-2019 08:27 PM

If the accident was repaired by a certified jaguar body shop it may be elgible for cpo!

bluejaag 06-11-2019 08:28 PM

I'd definitely suggest an inspection if you wanted to go with the white vert. But I think some of that value is definitely due to higher than average mileage. 42k definitely on high end.

zk1 06-11-2019 08:42 PM

yeah might wait for a little bit, and its far away from me haha

I also have a few months left on my Alfa lease - maybe can get a deal in winter

jaguny 06-12-2019 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by zk1 (Post 2083631)
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

that is the one I found. It clearny says CPO on the carfax along with the damage reported. it also has a late in-service date 7/26/2016. it seems like its too good to be true though especially with the unknown damage. it's 5k lower than any other 2016

The mileage is high for a 3 year old car. 12k/year is typical. Damage plus extra mileage may be factors in the $5k lower price.

WJV 06-12-2019 09:20 AM

May have to expand your search field to further out and check multiple ad sources. I know when I was looking for one I had my search radius out to 500mi because there were so few in the Southeast that fit my wish list. I just happened to get lucky when I found mine in Atlanta. I bought it the same day the dealer listed it. Just have to look everyday, twice a day if you can. Hard to find an R for less than $55K without a "story" behind it or high miles, but prices are still falling. The added warranty coverage is nice, but I personally wouldn't invest in a car with a checkered past that you'll have to explain to the next guy when you go to sell it down the road. That said, a V6S is no slouch and with your budget, you should be able to find a very nice example w/ low miles (high $40Ks). I absolutely love mine!

BritCars 06-12-2019 06:44 PM

Yes - this one is clearly sold as a used CPO, not just the extended warranty. That should give you a lot of comfort

Note that it says no accident reported. Just damage. Damage doesn't have to be caused by an accident

Have you Called the dealer to ask about what happened?