F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front growler badge color change

Old 04-08-2019, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 316 Posts
Default Front growler badge color change

Thinking of changing the chrome color on my growler badge to black to match the rest of the black decals, same a picture, i know the growler just pops off, but can the badge itself be seperated, that is remove the red part for painting and put back together again.

Old 04-08-2019, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 528 Likes on 344 Posts

I have one in my garage that I played with for other purposes. If I can find it (I just moved), I'll see how far I can take it apart.

The following users liked this post:
powerhouse (04-08-2019)
Old 04-08-2019, 01:51 PM
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by powerhouse
Thinking of changing the chrome color on my growler badge to black to match the rest of the black decals, same a picture, i know the growler just pops off, but can the badge itself be seperated, that is remove the red part for painting and put back together again.

Very Nice!

Old 04-08-2019, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,113 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Originally Posted by powerhouse

I did exactly that with the grille badge on my old 2010 XFR - took it apart and painted the red bit body colour, then put it back together again.
Once I had levered the badge out of the mount (it was held on by nothing but grey adhesive) it came apart into three pieces - the ring, the coloured surround and the face. Just some pushing and poking to take it apart and put back together. It also had mounting/locating tabs on the back that slotted into the badge holder so it went back on one way (the correct way) only.
Now of course this was a 2010 XFR with a different and smaller (75 mm vs 85 mm diameter) grille growler badge, so it may or may not work the same with the F-Type version but I'm guessing it probably does. The hardest part might be levering the badge out of the mount as there doesn't seem to be much of a gap around the edge to get a trim removal tool or small screwdriver into. IIRC on the XFR I started with a jeweller's screwdriver first to raise one spot just enough to fit a slightly bigger screwdriver in, then another bigger one after that, than gradually work around the edge until the whole badge could be pulled off, and it was stuck fairly hard. I guess a bit of warming up with a hair dryer set on "hot" would help soften the adhesive a bit.

powerhouse (04-09-2019)
Old 04-08-2019, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

I wonder whether having the outside ring black might make it all look a bit small?

Old 04-08-2019, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Josh,(itsmejoshy) you should show the folks yours! Changes colours.

Itismejoshy (04-16-2019)
Old 04-09-2019, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,113 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I did exactly that with the grille badge on my old 2010 XFR - took it apart and painted the red bit body colour, then put it back together again.
Once I had levered the badge out of the mount (it was held on by nothing but grey adhesive) it came apart into three pieces - the ring, the coloured surround and the face. Just some pushing and poking to take it apart and put back together. It also had mounting/locating tabs on the back that slotted into the badge holder so it went back on one way (the correct way) only.
Now of course this was a 2010 XFR with a different and smaller (75 mm vs 85 mm diameter) grille growler badge, so it may or may not work the same with the F-Type version but I'm guessing it probably does. The hardest part might be levering the badge out of the mount as there doesn't seem to be much of a gap around the edge to get a trim removal tool or small screwdriver into. IIRC on the XFR I started with a jeweller's screwdriver first to raise one spot just enough to fit a slightly bigger screwdriver in, then another bigger one after that, than gradually work around the edge until the whole badge could be pulled off, and it was stuck fairly hard. I guess a bit of warming up with a hair dryer set on "hot" would help soften the adhesive a bit.
Little update.
I just had a closer look at my grille badge and a little fiddle with it, and I think it's good news.
It will lever off fairly easily with a trim removal tool (so no risk of scratching with a screwdriver), and it looks odds on that it will then separate into three pieces to make painting / colour change much easier.

powerhouse (04-10-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 09:01 AM
Received 146 Likes on 75 Posts

powerhouse, yes they come apart with some patients, the screw in the center is for the growler face itself, and on the edge there is 3 flat plastic tabs that must be pressed and very slowly at each side you pry up the chrome ring, very small amounts as you work your way around the emblem. with these 2 pieces removed its easy to paint the black (or red) plastic part any color you desire. just go slow and its simple. good luck, post pictures!

Old 04-16-2019, 09:04 AM
Received 146 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbourne
Josh,(itsmejoshy) you should show the folks yours! Changes colours.

Mbourne (04-16-2019)