Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   F-Type ( X152 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/)
-   -   Future of Jaguar.... (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/future-jaguar-257814/)

Turko 04-10-2022 09:54 AM

Future of Jaguar....

Sink or swim. What do you think.

CJSJAG 04-10-2022 10:18 AM

The first indication is when JLR becomes LRJ which more accurately represents their market already.

jcb-memphis 04-10-2022 11:39 AM

Transformation....EV will change most things. Key is the design language. I was at a cars and coffee drive and there was one ferrari (new, v12, the one with awd), two lambos, 3 corvetts, 2 992's (one gt3), an R8, an IS500, an m6 or m8 "coupe" sedan, a cts-V and a very special LT1 or whatever camaro track monster with 800 or something hp or more.

People spent more time taking phots of my F-type than anything but the bright green lambo huracan...cannot blame them. I took photos too. But the f-type coupe is frankly better looking - it is just not stupid bright arrest me now green. The other guys and ladies with the above cars were slightly annoyed but did not say anything. People simlply like the F-type coupe a lot.

Jaguar is special and it needs to be kept alive frankly because it is art and represents style and beauty....so I sure hope they keep the design language alive.

BTW, one guy with a 911 told me he really wished he had gotten an f-type...far more rare and far better looking and sounding. 992 owner. He test drove the F, etc.

Jeff

19FRG 04-10-2022 01:29 PM

They'll never make it full ev. Say goodbye if they do.

MajorTom 04-10-2022 04:52 PM

Fingers crossed that it works. They're definitely onto something with the latest strategy and ambition to start making truly attractive cars again.

Over the last 10 years I've always thought they were making a big mistake when they started trying to match the mainstream German brands and trying to pump up the sales volumes by, at least here in Europe, aiming at the company car market with stuff like dumbed down poverty spec underpowered four cylinder diesel XFs. Especially with the XE and X260 XF they just killed the exclusiveness and attractiveness of the brand with sub par wannabe German competitor products.

Whether the drivetrain will be ICE or electric doesn't matter. Back to more grace, pace, possibly space and exclusiveness is the way and I really hope it works out. I also wish they left the SUVs entirely to LR but like everyone else they need SUVs for the money.

George05 04-10-2022 07:01 PM

I personally can see the Jaguar brand being sold to the highest bidder , they do not sell enough cars to make it profitable, I have seen that video and agree with the host on it being propped up by Landrover , it is already a niche brand and with this 4th attempt will only increase the costs passed over to potential owners , if one has to pay over £100,000 they better do one thing that is very seriously lacking in the already line up , that is better luxury, step out of any jaguar F type then sit in an Aston ;)

Carbuff2 04-10-2022 08:53 PM

Don't feel bad about Jaguar being "propped up" by Land Rover.

Heck, in the USA, the Jeep brand propped up FCA (now Stelantis) for years.

I feel that it was unfortunate that many automakers (including JLR) spent development money on diesel powerplants 10 - 15 years ago, then had them legislated out of profitability in favor of EVs.:(

spegor 04-11-2022 12:52 AM

I think JLR should focus in only one or two jaguar premium luxury models like f-type and XJ, not going anymore toward SUVs or others medium german like car or low end suvs. Also an electric new XJ would be welcome

takeapieandrun 04-11-2022 12:54 AM

The new electric XJ was already canned. And they need the F-Pace to keep the brand making money. Otherwise it will just be a loss leader

spegor 04-11-2022 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by takeapieandrun (Post 2514340)
The new electric XJ was already canned. And they need the F-Pace to keep the brand making money. Otherwise it will just be a loss leader

​​​​​​Ok but they made the I pace electric SUV, and canned the electric XJ, not a smart move for me. XJ (and F type) are name that recalls the glorious past, they should continue to take vantage of that

2018XF25T 04-11-2022 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by takeapieandrun (Post 2514340)

Correct, The F-Pace is all over the place here in Houston. It's a girl's car, I've seen majority of females owners driving it.
The E-Pace is gaining in popularity as well but not much. What Jaguar needs to do is add an additional SUV line-up with a 3rd row seat. If it competes with the Range Rover/Range Rover Sport so be it. The F-Pace is already competing with the Land Rover Discovery anyway.
If Jaguar becomes an all EV car brand then it's doomed and the marketing executives at JLR knows that. They'll do anything not to loose their jobs.

synthesis 04-11-2022 04:31 PM

As most take note, the world is currently going through a major geo-political/economic paradigm shift, away from fifty years of globalism, financialization, as well as, massive debt and money printing. In that the new order will probably not be highly functional until the early to mid 30's, the next ten years are going to be pretty crazy as the old order continues its dis-integration and the new order takes shape. All industries are going to be completely re-made. JLR deciding to abandon the ICE seems like a seriously premature leap of faith. There are many problems with the nascent EV space as it seems risky to bet the farm on either side.

It seems like what makes the most sense [for those able to afford] is the current trend of having a local EV and a longer distant ICE [to counter range-anxiety among other things] will continue. As electricity becomes increasingly expensive, it will only make sense for those who have their own generation capacity [especially in CA]. That and the fact that current battery technology has serious downsides that need to be overcome.

I wouldn't be surprised if JLR reverses its course. After all, you certainly don't see the industry leaders putting all of their eggs in one basket as it appears that maximum flexibility will be the key to sustainability [perhaps survival] as we all navigate what are assuredly stormy seas on the horizon.

scm 04-12-2022 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by synthesis (Post 2514591)
It seems like what makes the most sense [for those able to afford] is the current trend of having a local EV and a longer distant ICE [to counter range-anxiety among other things] will continue.

From what I've read about the I-Pace, charger anxiety is of more significance than range anxiety. And, of course, EVs really only make sense if you have access to your own charger, which rules out many city dwellers (ironically where EVs would be of most benefit).

jaguny 04-12-2022 05:10 AM

I believe one of Jaguar's challenge's is the lack of dealerships within smaller markets. My closest dealer is 90 miles away, the next 2-1/2 hours. We have a Porsche, BMW and Mercedes dealer. The Jag dealership was not renewed here when TATA bought them. I think more people would be a JLR vehicle if there was a nearby dealer.

OzXFR 04-12-2022 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by jaguny (Post 2514778)
I believe one of Jaguar's challenge's is the lack of dealerships within smaller markets. My closest dealer is 90 miles away, the next 2-1/2 hours. We have a Porsche, BMW and Mercedes dealer. The Jag dealership was not renewed here when TATA bought them. I think more people would be a JLR vehicle if there was a nearby dealer.

Agreed.
My local dealer is only some 40 km away (I never use them anyway) but the next closest is 700 km or some 9 hours away!

scm 04-12-2022 11:10 AM

I've only got three within a 30 mile radius. :D

synthesis 04-12-2022 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by jaguny (Post 2514778)

One of the best things about driving our F-types is not seeing scads of them on the way to anywhere. After all, where is the thrill in seeing a base 911 anymore? And BMW's and Mercedes' have been a dime a dozen for decades. Nothing special there.

I don't blame JLR for going down the exclusivity road [although it does make it inconvenient for folks in your situation].

Bill W 04-12-2022 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by synthesis (Post 2514907)
One of the best things about driving our F-types is not seeing scads of them on the way to anywhere. After all, where is the thrill in seeing a base 911 anymore? And BMW's and Mercedes' have been a dime a dozen for decades. Nothing special there.

I don't blame JLR for going down the exclusivity road [although it does make it inconvenient for folks in your situation].

Agreed. Went to cars and coffee on Sunday and it looked like a 911 used car lot.

jaguny 04-12-2022 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by synthesis (Post 2514907)

I am not complaining as I have bought four JLR vehicles with fifth on its way. If the brand fits, wear it! (or drive it in this case).

uclabrruin1989 04-12-2022 06:42 PM

I think there were two big mistakes in the last 10 years. While seemingly everyone else was participating in horsepower wars, Jaguar kept cramming smaller and weaker engines in their cars including the insanity of a 4 cylinder engine in the F Type. Then the exterior design language (post Ian Callum mostly) became muddled. The XF, XE and even to a lesser extent the F Type turned into amorphous blobs. They are poorly positioned to go upmarket and compete against the Astons and Bentleys of the world. Here's what they need, in descending order of importance;
1. A great F Pace sized SUV that is BETTER than competitors from Audi, MB and BMW. It can't just look better, but the base versions have to DRIVE better and be beautiful, otherwise people will just buy german because that's what people do, all other things being equal.
2. an E Pace sized EV CUV that does the same
3. one EV sedan, either XF or XE sized that isn't some marshmallow, ridiculously twice as expensive as a camry or accord with less performance or reliability, and
4. one performance F Type offspring, that's beautiful, fast and can be the halo car.

I don't see any reason for a big EV XJ, how many of those can they sell? what's the point? fewer cars, each done better, that's the way they survive.