Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   F-Type ( X152 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/)
-   -   Glove Box won't open (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/glove-box-wont-open-213640/)

paperboy 02-05-2019 12:47 AM

Glove Box won't open

I'm wondering if any of you guys have had an issue with your glove box not opening before? I cant seem to find much info when googling, so I'd figure I would try asking you guys, meanwhile documenting my journey with this issue. A few months ago my glove box started only working intermittently, as in the button wouldn't respond when pressed, and sometimes restarting the car a few times would help, but it wasn't a guarantee. I would have to press it dozens of times over and over and it might eventually open. I made an appt with my local dealer(Rusnak Jaguar) and had them take a look at it. They spent a few hours on it and said they applied a software update on the car and that it should work fine now. So it did, until just last week when the same issue started happening again. I had to find out the hard way, when a highway patrol was asking for me insurance and registration, I reached for my glove box and the problem started again. It was so embarrassing because the highway patrol thought something was wrong with my car, or maybe he thought I was playing a trick to avoid a ticket. Anyway, I spam pressed the button for another minute or so until it finally opened.
I called my dealer earlier today to make an appt to bring it in for the same issue, and the service adviser had the nerve to tell me while I was making the appointment, "just so you know, the car is designed to have the button timed out if you press it more than once and then you will have to restart the car" I laughed in my head at how insane that was, and for the sake of not starting an argument, I told him that this wasn't design and there is legitimately a problem. He obliged and I now have an appt for next week.
Meanwhile, do you guys have any advice on this?

powerhouse 02-05-2019 01:47 PM

Does anyone ever use it for holding gloves

fujicoupe 02-05-2019 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by powerhouse (Post 2023651)

Only males with man buns who use skin lotions and such.

scm 02-05-2019 02:38 PM

No need for gloves with the heated steering wheel. ;)

Magical 02-05-2019 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by fujicoupe (Post 2023672)
Only males with man buns who use skin lotions and such.

LOLOL

OzXFR 02-05-2019 05:20 PM

My "glove box" has only two things in it - the OEM folder with all the booklets in it and a bag of jelly beans.
The jelly beans are for if/when I have a hypoglycaemic episode seeing as I have Type 2 diabetes.
Has happened a couple of times now and not much fun driving along and suddenly having a dizzy/weak as a kitten spell.

Unhingd 02-05-2019 06:39 PM

I’m curious to see what’s in mine. I’ll go check.

zach05855 02-05-2019 07:54 PM

We have a Glove box ??? can someone post a picture.

Carbuff2 02-05-2019 08:17 PM

^^^ Come ON guys, those responses were not helpful. At least, wait until some folks give rational input before joking around.

That said, I haven't had any issues opening our glove box. I keep my fuel records in there, so I open ours at least every other drive.

Unhingd 02-05-2019 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Carbuff2 (Post 2023830)
^^^ Come ON guys, those responses were not helpful. At least, wait until some folks give rational input before joking around.

Fair enough. Have not heard of this issue in the last 4 years on this forum. It sounds like an issue with the valet mode programming or associated wiring. OP, Have you had any issues opening the boot?

CRS 123 02-05-2019 10:34 PM

I was also going to say it sounds like a glitch in the same system/wiring that controls the valet lock. Unlike others here, I use my glove box for lots of odds and ends as the F-Type is my daily driver😊
CRS

paperboy 02-06-2019 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd (Post 2023848)
Fair enough. Have not heard of this issue in the last 4 years on this forum. It sounds like an issue with the valet mode programming or associated wiring. OP, Have you had any issues opening the boot?

No issues opening the trunk at all

Originally Posted by CRS 123 (Post 2023869)
I was also going to say it sounds like a glitch in the same system/wiring that controls the valet lock. Unlike others here, I use my glove box for lots of odds and ends as the F-Type is my daily driver😊
CRS

That sounds plausible, as that seems to be the only electronic system that prevents the glove box from opening. I'm just not sure how that system could have gone "bad" though.

I will definitely keep you guys updated after my dealer appointment

4x4uk 02-06-2019 04:00 AM

check battery condition my range rover vogue used to have issues trying to open glove box when battery was low.

Also try disconnecting battery waiting a few mins then re-connect. Sometimes this clears a lot of silly glitches

fujicoupe 02-06-2019 08:29 AM

Proof of insurance, registration, S&W .38 revolver w/hollow points. Oh, and a few napkins for when I start drooling over another driver's ride (or his passenger.)

DJS 02-06-2019 09:45 AM

I see in OzXFR's service manual that there are a few potential codes for the CJB (Central Junction Box) related to the glovebox's latch switch, but not much else.

paperboy 03-08-2019 01:57 AM

Sorry for the late update. I took it in for my dealer appointment and they applied yet another software update and it seems to be okay(for now). However the service advisor mentioned one of the new "features" of this update is that it will time out for several minutes after 5 quick repeatedly presses, to prolong the life of the motor. Kinda a strange feature, but at least my glove box can open now.

jaguny 03-08-2019 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by powerhouse (Post 2023651)

Yes, I store my driving gloves in there.

jaguny 03-08-2019 04:22 AM

Why does a glove box need a motor? Unhinged; I see a weight savings mod here.

malbec 03-08-2019 07:15 AM

An electrical,software controlled button to open the glovebox. What could possibly go wrong !

Unhingd 03-08-2019 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by jaguny (Post 2036789)
Why does a glove box need a motor? Unhinged; I see a weight savings mod here.

If you let me strip all of the needless crap out of your car, I could get your R down to under 3300 lbs, if you insist on keeping your AWD.