Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   F-Type ( X152 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/)
-   -   Got a fuel issue problem (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/got-fuel-issue-problem-277746/)

randyb 02-24-2024 02:18 AM

Got a fuel issue problem

Coming home on interstate, cruise set to 75 and I started feeling a slight hesitation every 3-4 seconds and then 2 minutes later it started really bucking. Just happen to have my code reader plugged in and mil light was flashing on and off but I had no codes and then I noticed my fuel gauge had dropped from near full to below 3/4 in about 2 miles. Then it was running so rough and losing power quickly, so I coasted to a stop and checked codes again and I had a P0089 (fuel pressure regulator). Waited about 5 minutes and tried to restart and no luck, service manual says it is the low pressure fuel pump or a fuel leak. I did smell gas for a minute when I first stopped, but the it was gone. I just put VAP tune on the car and am wondering if that had anything to do with it, as my mpg has been down about 3 mpg since I installed the tune?

Anyone had this before??

randyb 02-24-2024 02:00 PM

Does anyone know where the fuel pump driver module is located?

NBCat 02-24-2024 02:11 PM

How many kilometres/miles are showing on the instrument cluster?

Based on your description, it's most likely a sticking or stuck fuel injector.

If the MIL is flashing, catalyst damage is occurring.

randyb 02-24-2024 04:14 PM

73k miles now and it will not start now.

scm 02-24-2024 04:44 PM

I had a bizzare random misfire which turned out to be the electrical connector on the fuel pump not being clipped in place fully. Apparently that way from the factory, but took a while to work loose enough to cause problems.

NBCat 02-24-2024 04:45 PM

Use a smart phone with the Torque app and a Bluetooth interface to connect with the vehicle's ECM/PCM via the OBD port. Determine what DTCs are stored and post them here.

Sovande 02-24-2024 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by randyb (Post 2724621)
Coming home on interstate, cruise set to 75 and I started feeling a slight hesitation every 3-4 seconds and then 2 minutes later it started really bucking. Just happen to have my code reader plugged in and mil light was flashing on and off but I had no codes and then I noticed my fuel gauge had dropped from near full to below 3/4 in about 2 miles. Then it was running so rough and losing power quickly, so I coasted to a stop and checked codes again and I had a P0089 (fuel pressure regulator). Waited about 5 minutes and tried to restart and no luck, service manual says it is the low pressure fuel pump or a fuel leak. I did smell gas for a minute when I first stopped, but the it was gone. I just put VAP tune on the car and am wondering if that had anything to do with it, as my mpg has been down about 3 mpg since I installed the tune?

Anyone had this before??

Sounds similar to what happened when I had an injector fail open. I suppose a fuel pump issue might present the same way.

diablo2112 02-24-2024 09:14 PM

We used to use an automotive stethoscope to listen for the tap-tap-tap on each injector when diagnosing fuel issues on various systems. Quick way to determine if the injector solinoids were working properly. Not sure how accessible the injectors are on the Jag V8, though. That supercharger sure covers a ton of engine.

randyb 02-24-2024 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by NBCat (Post 2724814)
Use a smart phone with the Torque app and a Bluetooth interface to connect with the vehicle's ECM/PCM via the OBD port. Determine what DTCs are stored and post them here.

Only code was the P0089

randyb 02-26-2024 01:36 PM

Okay, git new injectors, plugs and coils (figure I would do the coil and plugs while I was there. Now I have two questions.

1) How do you get the FP sensor connector off at the end of the fuel rail, tried pushing the grey tab in and then out and would not budge?

2) For the V6 fuel rail, do you get the fuel rail off the injectors and then slide off the fuel line?
My fuel has and L shaped pipe of the fuel rail that the fuel line runs into.

randyb 03-01-2024 11:20 AM

It was a stuck injector, pulled nbr 1 injector and fuel came gushing out. Going to replace the other 2 injectors and hopefully get back on the road.

randyb 03-05-2024 05:46 PM

Seriously confused , is cylinder 5 on the 3.0 the last cylinder on the left side or the middle cylinder on the right side looking at it from the front???

I have a crappy computer and searching the service manual always restarts at the first page after hitting next 5-6 times.

randyb 03-07-2024 01:40 PM

Any help with which cylinder is nbr 5?

Gearhead01 03-07-2024 03:21 PM

I believe this is accurate, but would be nice to have someone with a V-6 confirm:
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...22e8f47ba2.png

randyb 03-07-2024 08:02 PM

I found this in the 2015 service manual.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...079d5cd667.png