Sponsored by:

Group Buy: Lithium-Ion Battery

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Gibbo205
Hi there

So I got a conditioner / charger for my lipo RS30 battery.
After a charge it shows full charge, 4 blue lights.

But I notice after a day the battery is back to 2/3 lights, has anyone else done a charge, if so does yours drop back to 2/3 blue lights after a day or so?

Just wondering if this is normal or mine has an issue. Apart from that no issues and even with car stood for two weeks it still started fine, so all seems well.
Mine too. No issue.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:18 AM
Received 236 Likes on 173 Posts

MIne as well.

Old 06-11-2018, 02:22 PM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by F-Type-Type
Installed the Liteblox battery yesterday. Mounted absolutely clean to the trunk with the universal adaptor plate supplied by Liteblox.

I used three of the four upwardly directed threaded studs on trunk floor, in the way proposed by Unhinged with M8 connecting nuts and M8 bolts through holes that I drilled and filed in the universal adaptor plate. The fourth stud was spaced to far apart from the others, the adaptor plate is quite small compared to the OEM battery tray. I placed washers between the connecting nuts and the bottom of the adaptor plate since the bottom surface of the adaptor plate is uneven (bottom is milled out so there is a rim around the outer edge). The install is very clean and stable and relatively easy, took me less than 2 hours and I took my time and took a few pictures in the process that are attached

I had hoped that I could countersunk the flat head bolts completely level with the upper surface of the adaptor plate, but that turned out to challenging since the holes needed to be placed right at the edges of the adaptor plate. That meant that the mounting bracket at the bottom of the LiteBlox battery was at three corners resting on the elevated flat heads and the medially arranged bolts that secure the battery to the adaptor plate would bend the (carbon) bottom plate of the battery. I did not want to expose the battery housing to such stresses so I took a hacksaw ad removed the excess bracket/bottom plate material from the corners (used a file round off the sharp edges left by the hacksaw). Surprisingly easy and neat to cut through carbon with a hacksaw. I plan to replace the ugly flat head bolts with black hex bolts, just for looks.

Thus, the adaptor plate is well secured to the trunk with three M8 bots and given the ridiculously low weight of the LiteBlox compared to the OEM arrangement the connection is likely to be heavily overdimensionned.

The OEM battery tray is used to secured the portion of the cable boom going to the rear end of the car. The LiteBlox adaptor plate is much smaller so the side of the adaptor plate is too far from the cable boom to support it (as was my original plan). To avoid that the cables rub and wear out against the trunk floor I have now ducktaped them to the trunk floor but I am not particularly proud of the part of my install. Does any of you have a better idea for securing the cable boom?

Fitting the clamps to the terminals completely straight forward. My only worry was the length of the cable connecting the clamp to the fuse box, it is only just long enough due to the Liteblox being so much shorter than the OEM battery and the plus pole thus being placed more to the rear of the car.

The foam unit that holds the goey bottle is fixed only with Velrco but held in place by the OEM battery on one side. Without the OEM battery supporting it on one side I was afraid the foam unit could get loose and the bottle and the nutlock adaptor would be rolling around the trunk floor with all the electronics and cables - not good. So I added a cable binder to the top of the bottle and I am sure it will keep it in place.

I haven't found a neat way to fit the foam unit that holds the towing bolt, but will let you know when I do. This may take a little while because me and a buddy are working on a lightweight version of the towing bolt (more to come about that).

There is now quite a bit of extra space around the LiteBlox batter for fitting e.g. the tire pump, I am working on a neat way to secure the tire pump in this newly created space.

Car fired up without problems, had an engine fault light for the first two short drives (disappeared now) and needed to reconfigure date, time and other settings but otherwise no issues. It was easy to hook up the smartphone app to the battery to monitor it and to shut is down or turn it on (antitheft shut down).

Weight saving more considerable than expected! OEM battery arrangement: 28.6 kg! (63lbs) Litblox 3.2 kg (7lbs). saved 25.4kg (56lbs).

Will be interesting to see how well the new battery charges in daily driving! I will take a screenshot of the batter condition every day the coming two weeks. I expect quite a few days with short drives only so that should be a good test. Let me know if you have any questions.
Which model of Liteblox do you have? Everything works fine? Do you also have the second small battery for start stop or you have the new model with just one battery?

Thank you!

Old 06-11-2018, 03:06 PM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by diplomat
Which model of Liteblox do you have? Everything works fine? Do you also have the second small battery for start stop or you have the new model with just one battery?

Thank you!
I have the LB26XX (GEN4). Works flawless. Did an involuntary test the other day by forgetting to switch off the lights. 9 hours later engine started without any problem. The smartphone app allows one to monitor the battery performance, including total voltage and individual cell voltage and it seems always to be well charged, also when I have many shorter drives.

I have the new model with the single battery.

Old 08-28-2018, 11:11 AM
Banned
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by XxMerlinxX
So, I finally got around to swapping out batteries. I picked up the Scorpion that I had mentioned earlier, which is actually a motorcycle battery, as well as some post adapters and a pair of post shims. Getting the OEM battery out was interesting, but then fitting the smaller lithium battery was a challenge as well, since my battery didn't come with a purpose built tray. In the end, I sandwiched some styrofoam between the battery and the factory tie-down. Slapped it around a little bit to make sure it wouldn't go anywhere, then I was off to the races.

As previously mentioned, I'd used this battery on a Honda S2000 with good results, but I was a little worried about all of Jaguar's electrical doo-dads working properly. It's been a little over two weeks and so far so good. The car starts right up, I have no CELs, and all electrical components seem to be functioning properly.

I weighed my OEM battery and it came out to about 58lbs., whereas this Scorpion battery is a hair under 4lbs.

Hows the battery holding up? Which adapters did you use and need? My battery just died today and this seems like one hell of a upgrade vs cost.

Old 09-28-2018, 07:05 PM
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Had the OEM battery out of the vehicle for about 2 weeks. Just installed the RS30.
Battery has a charge. Car however is completely dead. No lights, nada.
Suggestions?

Old 09-28-2018, 07:28 PM

I assume you pressed and held the reset button as per the instructions?

Old 09-28-2018, 07:52 PM
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Chawumba
I assume you pressed and held the reset button as per the instructions?
RTFM.
Fixed.
Thanks.

Old 09-29-2018, 01:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts
Old 09-29-2018, 08:44 AM
Tel
Received 232 Likes on 143 Posts

This thread has me glued to my phone.... Great technical reading...

I'm close to needing a new battery, my FIAMM battery is becoming sluggish to crank.
It's just over 3 years old and gets used every month or two and sits on a CTEK most of the time.

Couple of questions:

Has anyone had to have their cars put through the JLR SDD tool to tell the car it has a new and slightly different battery fitted? I believe this is necessary?

As I don't, and won't ever be using eco mode, would it be possible to use a Calcium battery of similar specs?

Tel

Old 10-03-2018, 11:45 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry to the couple of guys who PMed me, I've been a bit busy. My battery's holding up fine so far. No need to register it, like you would in a BMW. We'll see how the cold affects it now that Autumn is here.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry to the couple of guys who PMed me, I've been a bit busy. My battery's holding up fine so far. No need to register it, like you would in a BMW. We'll see how the cold affects it now that Autumn is here.
Does your ECO stop/start still work?

Old 10-05-2018, 11:19 AM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

That's been the only downside so far, it does not.

Old 10-05-2018, 12:11 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Some would call that an upside!

Old 10-05-2018, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member

That's been the only downside so far, it does not.
That's the only reason the Battery management module needs to be synced with the new battery. Most folks won't bother with syncing to a new battery if the dealer isn't the one swapping out batteries.

Old 11-23-2018, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member
Default RS-30 Battery Sale

On sale right now: $560 marked down from $699 (20%).
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay....ent%3Drs30_btn

BTW: no issues starting the car at 26 degF.

Old 04-29-2019, 05:23 PM
Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

Just a little update on this thread:

AntiGravity no longer sells the RS-30. It as been replaced with their updated automotive line.

Here is what they responded to me when I inquired:

"Essentially they a newer version of the RS-30 which are available in multiple OEM sizes offering a drop in fit and no longer require an additional bracket to install. In addition to this they will be offered in different capacities and come with a wireless remote keyfob to engage the Re-Start feature. "

The problem is that they do not have a H8 in the lineup.
However, they do offer a H7, which is just a bit shorter but otherwise same.

Last edited by Paul champagne; 04-29-2019 at 05:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Chawumba (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Paul champagne
Just a little update on this thread:

AntiGravity no longer sells the RS-30. It as been replaced with their updated automotive line.

Here is what they responded to me when I inquired:

"Essentially they a newer version of the RS-30 which are available in multiple OEM sizes offering a drop in fit and no longer require an additional bracket to install. In addition to this they will be offered in different capacities and come with a wireless remote keyfob to engage the Re-Start feature. "

The problem is that they do not have a H8 in the lineup.
Bummer they won't make our exact size, but I imagine there will be something close. Like the idea of the remote to reset the restart feature, I use a string hidden under the carpet to pull the inside hatch release handle from the front seat when I need to activate mine.

Old 04-29-2019, 05:52 PM
Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Chawumba
Bummer they won't make our exact size, but I imagine there will be something close. Like the idea of the remote to reset the restart feature, I use a string hidden under the carpet to pull the inside hatch release handle from the front seat when I need to activate mine.
I think the H7 is about 1" shorter, but otherwise same, so that would work. Would actually make the ground pole more accessible.
They now offer two power levels: 30Ah=1200CA, 40Ah=1500 Cranking Amps.
The 40Ah is $830.00 though

Old 04-29-2019, 06:01 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,066 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Thanks for the info. My battery is approaching 6 years old, so about time to think about replacing it.

Quick Reply: Group Buy: Lithium-Ion Battery