Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   F-Type ( X152 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/)
-   -   Help!!!! I broke down (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/help-i-broke-down-217774/)

SAVING_4_JAG 05-14-2019 12:32 PM

Help!!!! I broke down

Hello and thanks for your help. I recently drove From Columbus Ohio to Chicago on a weekend trip and my manual Jaguar F type 7000 miles would not shift into gear. I limped it 10 miles to the jaguar dealership where they said its a worn clutch. I have driven manual cars for years and after 7000 miles they are telling me its a worn clutch and not covered under warranty? I have babied this car and that seems impossible. Any ideas or recommendations at all please help!

Mahjik 05-14-2019 01:12 PM

Check this:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...8/#post2045237

Fraser Mitchell 05-14-2019 01:31 PM

What are the fault symptoms that lead them to say it is "a worn-out cutch" ? Assuming the clutch is hydraulic, then there are three moving parts that could go wrong: -

1. Clutch master cylinder - leaking seal
2. Clutch slave cylinder - leaking seal
3. Clutch release bearing

FWIW, my very low annual mileage MG Midget now has a leaking slave cylinder seal, as I am now getting a small puddle of fluid under the car after I park it up in the garage. Low miles per annum are not friendly to hydraulic seals.

On the other hand, you could have just burnt out the clutch. What sort of driver are you ? Aggressive and energetic, or a laid-back cruiser ?

SinF 05-14-2019 02:15 PM

You will have to print TSB (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...18156-9999.pdf), take that to a dealer and tell them that you need a new clutch, flywheel and so on. They will try to tell you clutch is a wear and tear item and is not covered. Since this is difficult job that they are not familiar with, they may try to dissuade you with made-up claims and inflated quotes. You will then point them to printed TSB and tell them you will escalate to JLR corporate, and to give you refusal for warranty work in writing. They will get approval from JLR to fix this, as this is well-documented and known to JLR flaw with early MTs. They may also decide to change transmission. Make sure to tell dealer to order a) non-reusable transmission bolts b) correct FFL-3 ( part T2R17199) fluid prior to undertaking repair as they won't have them in stock due to rarity of MTs. Make sure they give you a loaner, as the car won't be ready on time if this is the first time they are doing this type of repair.

Good luck.

Read this thread for historical/additional details: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...action-158861/

NBCat 05-14-2019 02:43 PM

There has been an issue with the clutch assembly on early X152s, which was covered under the vehicle warranty. If the gear lever is difficult to move in and out of gear, most likely the driven plate is sticking to the flywheel, or there is an issue with the pressure plate diaphragm. The only way to tell for sure is to remove the clutch and inspect the components.

lizzardo 05-14-2019 04:58 PM

A worn clutch would slip or judder, not drag. It's not going into gear because the clutch is never fully disengaging. You don't have the model year in your sig so I can't say for sure, but it's probably a Gen 1 clutch that has had some parts come loose.

I wonder how many Gen 1 clutches are left alive out there?

Unhingd 05-14-2019 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by lizzardo (Post 2070620)
A worn clutch would slip or judder, not drag. It's not going into gear because the clutch is never fully disengaging. You don't have the model year in your sig so I can't say for sure, but it's probably a Gen 1 clutch that has had some parts come loose.

I wonder how many Gen 1 clutches are left alive out there?

I'm guessing no Gen 1 clutch ever made it past 8kmiles.

lizzardo 05-14-2019 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd (Post 2070643)
I'm guessing no Gen 1 clutch ever made it past 8kmiles.

Mine did! It was showing symptoms well before 7K though, and the vast majority of my miles are commuting.

GGG 05-15-2019 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by SAVING_4_JAG (Post 2070511)
..... after 7000 miles they are telling me its a worn clutch and not covered under warranty? .....

As this is specific to F-Type, I've moved your question from General Tech Help to F-Type forum and merged it with the other identical version that you had also posted here.

Graham

rbsj 05-15-2019 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by SAVING_4_JAG (Post 2070511)
Hello and thanks for your help. I recently drove to Chicago on a weekend trip and my manual Jaguar F type 7000 miles would not shift into gear. I limped it 10 miles to the jaguar dealership where they said its a worn clutch. I have driven manual cars for years and after 7000 miles they are telling me its a worn clutch and not covered under warranty? I have babied this car and that seems impossible. Any ideas or recommendations at all please help!

Saving 4 Jag,

Did you get this sorted out? What is the build date of your car? I live in the Chicago area, which dealership did you go to?

SAVING_4_JAG 05-15-2019 03:35 PM

bought in 2017 I believe build date was 2016. Not sorted out yet. Dealer is in Chicago. They say clutch is not covered. I say look into Service bulletins and long history of bad clutches. More to comes. Thanks a bunch for insight everyone! It just didnt make sense after 7,000 miles of weekend cruises and cars and coffee events.

Jmo 05-15-2019 05:55 PM

Had the same issue with my 2016, serial number 34344. Bought it with 4400 miles, now at 8400. Problems started about a month after I bought it, at first only happened when car was first started and would get better as i drove, eventually it happened more frequently and then while I was driving. Took it in twice, but they could never reproduce it. Finally happened last Friday and didn't get better. Car is currently at the dealership getting a new clutch. They put up no fight about replacing it and covering the cost. Good luck to you. This really seems like an epidemic with the early mt's. JLR must know there is a problem.

Unhingd 05-15-2019 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jmo (Post 2071176)
Had the same issue with my 2016, serial number 34344. Bought it with 4400 miles, now at 8400. Problems started about a month after I bought it, at first only happened when car was first started and would get better as i drove, eventually it happened more frequently and then while I was driving. Took it in twice, but they could never reproduce it. Finally happened last Friday and didn't get better. Car is currently at the dealership getting a new clutch. They put up no fight about replacing it and covering the cost. Good luck to you. This really seems like an epidemic with the early mt's. JLR must know there is a problem.

They do, but the dealers don’t. There will only ever be 1000 of these cars on the road. With close to 300 dealers in North America, any given dealership won’t see many of these cars in their shop. We know more about these cars than the typical service department.

Jmo 05-15-2019 09:05 PM

Funny thing is, when i was looking to buy a pre-owned manual, my dealership had one for sale that was a buy-back car from california due to clutch issues. The salesman made it sound like the previous owner didnt know how to drive and that there was really no problem, but he still steered me away from it. I never gave it much thought until I started reading the threads on this board. Now, im guessing that car had a first gen clutch and the owner gave it back after he complained of the slipping.

AJ16er 05-15-2019 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by SAVING_4_JAG (Post 2071112)
bought in 2017 I believe build date was 2016. Not sorted out yet. Dealer is in Chicago. They say clutch is not covered. I say look into Service bulletins and long history of bad clutches. More to comes. Thanks a bunch for insight everyone! It just didnt make sense after 7,000 miles of weekend cruises and cars and coffee events.

There are several dealers around Chicago if you will want a second opinion:

Howard Orloff
Jaguar Hinsdale
Jaguar Orland Park
Imperial Motors in Lake Bluff
Jaguar Northfield

AC Imports in Palatine is no more, sadly.

Luc Lapierre 05-15-2019 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jmo (Post 2071261)
Funny thing is, when i was looking to buy a pre-owned manual, my dealership had one for sale that was a buy-back car from california due to clutch issues. The salesman made it sound like the previous owner didnt know how to drive and that there was really no problem, but he still steered me away from it. I never gave it much thought until I started reading the threads on this board. Now, im guessing that car had a first gen clutch and the owner gave it back after he complained of the slipping.

I'd be entirely unsurprised if my case was the similar.

SinF 05-16-2019 08:11 AM

On a 2016 MT proper repair job requires more than clutch replacement. You also need a new flywheel.

First generation flywheel - T2R8810
Second generation flywheel - T2R20968

Also, keep in mind that you want latest clutch. There were quite a few revisions until JLR gave up and just discontinued MT.

Clutch part numbers:

1 T2R18945 $ 819 (slips and does not last)
2 T2R21165 $ 1131 (does not slip, very hard engagement, causes transmission and differential damage due to shocks through drive train)
3 T2R25681 $ 1053 (does not slip, issues to be determined)
4 T2R27466 $ 517 (softer than #3., issues to be determined)

SAVING_4_JAG 05-16-2019 02:47 PM

Got a call from Jag Corporate. They will be contacting the dealership. I advised them that this is a well documented and known issue. I am very loyal to Jaguar but cant help but feel caught in the middle. Nothing like going on a weekend trip and getting stranded by your car with 7000 miles. Now i'm back in Columbus OH with my car stuck in Chicago. Sincerely appreciate the information More to come....

SAVING_4_JAG 05-21-2019 11:31 AM

UPDATE: HORRIBLE NEWS!

Got a call just now from Jaguar Corporate and they said the dealership looked into clutch and it was in fact broken due to "Aggressive Driving" they said it looked like the rear tires were worn proving this. They said I will responsible for the clutch replacement pretty much end of story.

FIRST- Im 31 years old and this was a huge purchase for me. I do NOT just throw around and beat on my cars. I have babied this car and it is my dream car.

Secondly- the tires are pirelli P zero with 7000 miles and rear wheel drive. Isnt tire wear normal for a car like this.

PLEASE PLEASE help and offer some advice. I dont know how to proceed. The dealership mentioned its likely from aggressive driving before they even looked at the clutch. The dealership was also unaware of ANY clutch issues to date. I feel they completely jumped to conclusions of bad clutch aggressive driving and never even looked in the possibility it was a serious flaw with most manuals.

WHAT DO I DO NEXT? Thank you so much!

fujicoupe 05-21-2019 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by SAVING_4_JAG (Post 2073971)
UPDATE: HORRIBLE NEWS!

Got a call just now from Jaguar Corporate and they said the dealership looked into clutch and it was in fact broken due to "Aggressive Driving" they said it looked like the rear tires were worn proving this. They said I will responsible for the clutch replacement pretty much end of story.

FIRST- Im 31 years old and this was a huge purchase for me. I do NOT just throw around and beat on my cars. I have babied this car and it is my dream car.

Secondly- the tires are pirelli P zero with 7000 miles and rear wheel drive. Isnt tire wear normal for a car like this.

PLEASE PLEASE help and offer some advice. I dont know how to proceed. The dealership mentioned its likely from aggressive driving before they even looked at the clutch. The dealership was also unaware of ANY clutch issues to date. I feel they completely jumped to conclusions of bad clutch aggressive driving and never even looked in the possibility it was a serious flaw with most manuals.

WHAT DO I DO NEXT? Thank you so much!

If what you report is factual: Litigate