F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!!!! I broke down

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 12:05 PM
Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

Do you perhaps hold the clutch when stopped at red lights? That certainly leads to premature failure. Either way I don't know what else you can do other than pay to have your car fixed or tow it to an independent shop if you want to save money. How much is the dealer wanting for the repair?

Old 05-21-2019, 12:08 PM
Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

No issue at stops lights. I have an Audi A4 that I have 101,000 miles of manual driving on it.

How does a Dealership prove its from "Aggresive Driving" and not from a defective clutch which many of you have experienced?

Old 05-21-2019, 12:25 PM
Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by SAVING_4_JAG
UPDATE: HORRIBLE NEWS!

Got a call just now from Jaguar Corporate and they said the dealership looked into clutch and it was in fact broken due to "Aggressive Driving" they said it looked like the rear tires were worn proving this. They said I will responsible for the clutch replacement pretty much end of story.

FIRST- Im 31 years old and this was a huge purchase for me. I do NOT just throw around and beat on my cars. I have babied this car and it is my dream car.

Secondly- the tires are pirelli P zero with 7000 miles and rear wheel drive. Isnt tire wear normal for a car like this.

PLEASE PLEASE help and offer some advice. I dont know how to proceed. The dealership mentioned its likely from aggressive driving before they even looked at the clutch. The dealership was also unaware of ANY clutch issues to date. I feel they completely jumped to conclusions of bad clutch aggressive driving and never even looked in the possibility it was a serious flaw with most manuals.

WHAT DO I DO NEXT? Thank you so much!
It would be interesting to know the build date of your car or the last 5 numbers of your VIN. Also, I would be interested to know which dealership you were at here in Chicago (PM me if necessary).

You should also review:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...o-gear-215498/

Old 05-21-2019, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

How does a Dealership prove its from "Aggresive Driving" and not from a defective clutch which many of you have experienced?
Unfortunately, the burden of proof is on you to prove that the failure was not due to aggressive driving. I would assume Jaguar also viewed the ODB2 data as well.

Old 05-21-2019, 01:17 PM
Jmo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, sorry to hear this. I just got mine back from the dealership yesterday. They found the slave cylinder was leaking which caused the premature wear. Replaced the clutch, flywheel and slave cylinder. They didn't charge me and said it was done as goodwill, as I had been in complaining about this problem several times. I am really surprised with how they are treating you. I would call JLR back and plead your case again. There are known issues with the early clutches as many here can attest to.

Old 05-21-2019, 01:22 PM
Jmo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, how much tread is left on your tires? I have the same tires with 8400 miles and have about 7/32".

Old 05-21-2019, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

UPDATE: HORRIBLE NEWS!

Got a call just now from Jaguar Corporate and they said the dealership looked into clutch and it was in fact broken due to "Aggressive Driving" they said it looked like the rear tires were worn proving this. They said I will responsible for the clutch replacement pretty much end of story.

FIRST- Im 31 years old and this was a huge purchase for me. I do NOT just throw around and beat on my cars. I have babied this car and it is my dream car.

Secondly- the tires are pirelli P zero with 7000 miles and rear wheel drive. Isnt tire wear normal for a car like this.

PLEASE PLEASE help and offer some advice. I dont know how to proceed. The dealership mentioned its likely from aggressive driving before they even looked at the clutch. The dealership was also unaware of ANY clutch issues to date. I feel they completely jumped to conclusions of bad clutch aggressive driving and never even looked in the possibility it was a serious flaw with most manuals.

WHAT DO I DO NEXT? Thank you so much!
Dealership doesn't want to do the job and hoping you will go away. As for everything it writing. Escalate to JLR complaining about dealership incompetence. If that doesn't work you will have to get lawyers involved. 7K out of OEM summer tires is about normal as these are summer performance tires.

Old 05-21-2019, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
Dealership doesn't want to do the job and hoping you will go away. As for everything it writing. Escalate to JLR complaining about dealership incompetence. If that doesn't work you will have to get lawyers involved. 7K out of OEM summer tires is about normal as these are summer performance tires.
It does appear he did talk to NA Corporate. I will say, I replaced my PZero's around 14k and that was with several track days. I'm not saying he's abused the car, but I would say we don't have the whole picture here on this forum.

The following users liked this post:
JgaXkr (05-22-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 03:27 PM

WE ALL AGREE THE CLUTCH IS WORN AND BROKEN after just 7k miles
They claim "aggressive driving"

I say absolutely NOT. Look into the well documented issues with premature clutch failure and also look at the dozens of others Jaguar has payed for with the exact same issue.

Old 05-21-2019, 03:33 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,050 Posts

Is it worth getting an independent engineer (Ideally Jaguar-savvy) to assess the situation?

Old 05-23-2019, 08:06 AM
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Got a call from Jag Corporate. They will be contacting the dealership. I advised them that this is a well documented and known issue. I am very loyal to Jaguar but cant help but feel caught in the middle. Nothing like going on a weekend trip and getting stranded by your car with 7000 miles. Now i'm back in Columbus OH with my car stuck in Chicago. Sincerely appreciate the information More to come....
What a drag. Did the Chicago dealer give you a loaner? Of course not because they say it is wear and tear, not warranty issue. How did you get home?

Old 05-23-2019, 01:02 PM

EMAIL I JUST RECEIVED AFTER I SENT HIM FORUM POSTS ABOUT CLUTCH ISSUES,BULLETIN LINKS, AND INVOICES FROM OTHER F TYPE OWNERS WITH SAME EXACT CLUTCH ISSUES I WAS REPORTING THAT JAGAUR HAD PAYED FOR.

Jeff,

The condition of your car is not due to a defect. It is due to the car being driven aggressively which caused the clutch and associated parts to fail. That is my belief based on the condition of the parts that came out of your car and the condition of the rear tires. There are zero technical service bulletins from the manufacture regarding premature clutch failure and your forums unfortunately hold no value. I am sorry but you will not be able to convince me otherwise and I rather applaud whoever drove the car that way. That said, I am going to try to help you. I will contact you when I have further information, either later today or tomorrow and then you can decide what you want to do.

HELP! THE CAR WAS IN NO WAY OR SHAPE BEATEN ON, OR DRIVEN AGGRESSIVELY. I FOLLOWED THE ENGINE BREAK IN PERIOD AND HAVE ENJOYED THE CAR VERY MUCH UP TO THIS POINT. THIS IS PURELY SPECULATION AND IGNORING THE LONG HISTORY OF OUTRIGHT CLUTCH FAILURES. ANY ADVICE PLEASE. THANK YOU!

Old 05-23-2019, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Have you tried printing TSB (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...18156-9999.pdf) and giving it to the service manager? In that document it states: "Issue: Premature clutch wear and poor clutch pedal feel". Ask them to explain why this is not applicable to your case.

Old 05-23-2019, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

"There are zero technical service bulletins from the manufacture regarding premature clutch failure and your forums unfortunately hold no value."
That's not true. His research was weak, if not non-existent.

Originally Posted by SinF
Have you tried printing TSB (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...18156-9999.pdf) and giving it to the service manager? In that document it states: "Issue: Premature clutch wear and poor clutch pedal feel". Ask them to explain why this is not applicable to your case.
Beat me to it. That's the one.

Old 05-24-2019, 05:28 AM
Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

EMAIL I JUST RECEIVED AFTER I SENT HIM FORUM POSTS ABOUT CLUTCH ISSUES,BULLETIN LINKS, AND INVOICES FROM OTHER F TYPE OWNERS WITH SAME EXACT CLUTCH ISSUES I WAS REPORTING THAT JAGAUR HAD PAYED FOR.

Jeff,

The condition of your car is not due to a defect. It is due to the car being driven aggressively which caused the clutch and associated parts to fail. That is my belief based on the condition of the parts that came out of your car and the condition of the rear tires. There are zero technical service bulletins from the manufacture regarding premature clutch failure and your forums unfortunately hold no value. I am sorry but you will not be able to convince me otherwise and I rather applaud whoever drove the car that way. That said, I am going to try to help you. I will contact you when I have further information, either later today or tomorrow and then you can decide what you want to do.

HELP! THE CAR WAS IN NO WAY OR SHAPE BEATEN ON, OR DRIVEN AGGRESSIVELY. I FOLLOWED THE ENGINE BREAK IN PERIOD AND HAVE ENJOYED THE CAR VERY MUCH UP TO THIS POINT. THIS IS PURELY SPECULATION AND IGNORING THE LONG HISTORY OF OUTRIGHT CLUTCH FAILURES. ANY ADVICE PLEASE. THANK YOU!
In addition, he said "I rather applaud whoever drove the car that way"? Or did he mean, "I am rather appalled at whoever drove the car that way"?

Either one was unprofessional and uncalled for.

Old 05-30-2019, 05:36 PM

UPDATE: Corporate said case closed because dealership said "aggressive driving" Nothing I can do or say to get a new case opened.

Here is a photo you can clearly see the slave cylinder leaked. Since the fluid (brake fluid) from the slave cylinder leaked into the clutch assembly, it caused the clutch plate to slip due to said fluid. This is also evidenced by the fact that looking at the bell housing you can clearly see the fluid mixed with the friction material all around it when it was sprayed out by the centrifugal force. Therefore the cause of the failure is the leaking slave cylinder. This has been covered under warranty dozens of times and is a known issue at Jaguar. Yet Im stuck with the bill? Any advice before I walk away from Jaguar forever?

Old 05-30-2019, 07:27 PM
Received 98 Likes on 57 Posts

Just sent you a PM with some advice that worked when I had to get my clutch replaced. Don't give up on the F-type just yet!!

AJ16er (05-30-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

Don't give up on Jaguar yet. Your dealer, on the other hand ... kick 'em to the curb. Your service advisor put a red flag onto your record with what sounds like zero research. Lazy bastidge.

AJ16er (05-30-2019)