Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   F-Type ( X152 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/)
-   -   Hijack the Unused Toggle Switch (No SunRoof) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/hijack-unused-toggle-switch-no-sunroof-174874/)

thedude 01-07-2017 07:37 AM

Hijack the Unused Toggle Switch (No SunRoof)

1 Attachment(s)
I was curious if anyone had any thoughts on what I could do with the unused toggle switch in my F-Type, it just looks unfinished somehow when there is no sun-roof in the vehicle there is a simply a blank inserted.

Has anyone hijacked the unused toggle switch and wired in something cool, what would you do? I'm thinking something like a zoom on a dash-cam or brightness on the ambient lighting (no clue on how you would do this).

Refer to highlight in the attached picture if your not following.

Jay

xdave 01-07-2017 08:04 AM

I fitted the folding roof switch to my coupe in place of the coin holder insert and used it to toggle between the factory rear and an aftermarket front/360 camera system. The switch is a three position switch, and as an added bonus the decal on the switch is a car with a forward and backward arrow above it so it matches the new purpose perfectly.

Unhingd 01-07-2017 08:40 AM

I never even noticed that void until you mentioned it. A bit smaller on the MT.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...5c67279274.jpg

RoonieQ 01-07-2017 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by xdave (Post 1598028)
I fitted the folding roof switch to my coupe in place of the coin holder insert and used it to toggle between the factory rear and an aftermarket front/360 camera system. The switch is a three position switch, and as an added bonus the decal on the switch is a car with a forward and backward arrow above it so it matches the new purpose perfectly.

That is so clever. :icon_goodpost:

jfranks 01-07-2017 09:32 AM

On the manual, that's where the line lock switch would go for sick burnouts, bruh.

Unhingd 01-07-2017 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by jfranks (Post 1598069)
On the manual, that's where the line lock switch would go for sick burnouts, bruh.

I'm on it! ;)

SGT h0llywood 01-07-2017 10:38 AM

I currently use it to hold my loose change. Holds enough quarters for parking.

malbec 01-07-2017 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by SGT h0llywood (Post 1598118)
I currently use it to hold my loose change. Holds enough quarters for parking.

You'd need 25 Quarters to park here for 2 hours in my home city of Bath.

Unhingd 01-07-2017 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by malbec (Post 1598238)
You'd need 25 Quarters to park here for 2 hours in my home city of Bath.

In the DC area you pay for parking with mobile apps linked to home equity loans.

Mbourne 01-07-2017 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd (Post 1598089)
I'm on it! ;)

Ejection seat switch, machine gun trigger, oil slick dispenser........just sayin.

Unhingd 01-07-2017 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mbourne (Post 1598312)
Ejection seat switch, machine gun trigger, oil slick dispenser........just sayin.

Not to fear, I'm not stopping there:

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...6ace79614b.jpg

uncheel 01-07-2017 07:13 PM

I hijacked an unused toggle on my e-Type as an On/Off switch for a remote radar detector mounted in the nose.

In the distant (statute of limitations) past, it might have been temporarily used as a cut-off switch for the brake lights - allowing the car to pass CT inspections when the parking brake wouldn't hold enough to pass. (Pull up into inspection bay, apply the parking brake, flip the switch to cut off the brake lights, pop the clutch. Stall. Pass.)

jaguny 01-08-2017 03:40 PM

You guys are very creative

Mbourne 01-09-2017 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by uncheel (Post 1598388)
I hijacked an unused toggle on my e-Type as an On/Off switch for a remote radar detector mounted in the nose.

In the distant (statute of limitations) past, it might have been temporarily used as a cut-off switch for the brake lights - allowing the car to pass CT inspections when the parking brake wouldn't hold enough to pass. (Pull up into inspection bay, apply the parking brake, flip the switch to cut off the brake lights, pop the clutch. Stall. Pass.)

:icon_lolsign:

Unhingd 01-09-2017 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mbourne (Post 1599605)
:icon_lolsign:

When I was racing Bugeyes, I had a similar switch, but for turning the brake lights on rather than off. Going into a fast turn, I could flip the switch under full throttle and gain a few seconds on the guy behind me who would feel obligated to lift prematurely. Wouldn't work more than a half dozen times on the same competitor, but every nanosecond counts.

inmanlanier 02-27-2017 10:44 AM

I wish I'd thought of that trick when we were racing!!!

Misujerr 02-27-2017 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by xdave (Post 1598028)

Ooooo, I totally want to do this! What camera did you use? Any tips for a not-so-handy guy? Just take it to a car stereo shop, I guess... Do those even exist any more? LOL...
Actually, one of the reasons that I considered a Infiniti Q50 hybrid (aside from only being 20 hp less and having four doors & four seats) was the 360 degree camera, I thought that was pretty useful.

xdave 03-02-2017 06:17 PM

3 Attachment(s)
There are hundreds of aftermarket camera systems on placed like eBay and AliExpress. I chose one that had a small white coupe as the decal car (to match mine) and no writing on the screen. I also chose one with a barrel mount rear camera which was easily hidden in the rear bumper cover below the OEM camera, and low profile cameras for the mirrors as there is not a lot of space internally to mount them and I didn't want visible warts.

The seller I bought from is no longer trading so I can't link to that one, and I've searched around tonight but can't find any with the same cameras. The Weivision kits look to run similar software, although they all come with massive cameras. You may be able to find a seller who will supply the specific cameras you want. I've attached some poor photos from when I fitted mine.

Note many are advertised as 360 panoramic but they don't seamlessly stitch the image together to give a true top-down view.

It wasn't difficult to install, just fiddly. I am a bit of an OCD perfectionist so I didn't want anything to be visible and the wires to integrate with the existing harnesses so I stripped the doors, rear and floor console trims out. (You could just pull the supplied cables though, but they are one length each so you can never replace the mirror or bumper covers once fitted.) It came with some large checkered mats which were used for calibration after installing the cameras.

A stereo shop would fit it easily if you still have one! Mine cost about $300 USD.

kamiar 03-02-2017 06:44 PM

machine guns

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...1a8e56665e.jpg

Misujerr 03-02-2017 10:35 PM

Thanks xdave! Yeah, I've been looking around, there are bazillions of them... I was wondering how much room was available inside the mirror enclosures, doesn't sound like much.

kamiar, that doesn't look like a DB10 :icon_smile: