Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   F-Type ( X152 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/)
-   -   How do you turn off the seat belt alert chime? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/how-do-you-turn-off-seat-belt-alert-chime-219142/)

Uncle Fishbits 06-14-2019 01:45 PM

How do you turn off the seat belt alert chime?

I always wear my seatbelt, so stop with that line of questioning. :)

But I also carry out around a lot of wine, and sometimes I have heavy stuff on my seat, that is not a human. A 30 minute drive is bad enough but if I have to go longer distances, it's basically the worst. I can't tell if it intermittently gives up and turns off a bit, but is there any way to limit that notification?

fujicoupe 06-14-2019 01:55 PM

It's probably against federal law to disable or have an option of silencing the alarm. Can't you just buckle the seatbelt behind the box/package?

Noshame 06-14-2019 03:50 PM

I would be seat belting that wine in place nice and tight or strap it down in the back. hate to lose some nice wine, plus you would not want it flying around when some idiot runs into you.

uncheel 06-14-2019 06:41 PM

I always wear my belt, but, when I got short seat belt extenders, they had the effect of tricking the system into thinking that the belts are always attached.
That would fix your issue, but I ended up removing the one on the passenger side because it made the car think a child was on board and cut off the passenger air bag.

lizzardo 06-14-2019 09:18 PM

When I carry wine I buckle it in. Aside from the fact that I can't stand stuff moving around when drive, I wouldn't want to risk precious cargo.

On the first point, how can people drive around with things that slide around, or dangle from the mirror? That'd drive me nuts. Some may say that's a short drive, but why risk it?

Mark G 06-15-2019 08:28 PM

+1 for buckling it in. I go so far as to loop the seatbelt through the handles of bags if I go to pick up food so as to keep it in place. I’d do the same with wine. One hard stop and you’d have a huge mess if you don’t have it secured.

OzXFR 06-15-2019 08:54 PM

I take my cat to the vet once in a while and I always buckle the carrier in with the belt through the carry handle.
Not just to prevent the annoying ding ding ding of the seatbelt warning but mainly to protect the puddy tat in case I have a prang although my last prang was over 38 years ago.

DJS 06-16-2019 06:07 AM

For those who don’t know, if you pull the seat belt all the way out, it will then ratchet back in. Great for strapping in big boxes, etc.

Mahjik 06-16-2019 09:26 AM

IMO, for such a small use case, I would just attach the seat belt to stop the alert.

TimG. 06-17-2019 05:44 AM

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jaguar-XJ-...item212873f886

You need something like these, works fine for me!

Uncle Fishbits 06-20-2019 01:32 PM

A) I am a moron. What a idiotic moment for me. LOL Of course I could just buckle it. BUT THE BOXES WERE ALREADY IN THE CAR. lololol So silly.

BUT

B) Super glad I asked. TimG... you rock. What a novel concept. Here's 99 cent ones from ebay in the US. https://ebay.us/P3x4eW

coolio! THANK YOU!

mbelanger 06-23-2019 03:41 PM

As I recall, there were instructions in the manual as to how to disable the nanny-chimes...I definitely remember finding them in the manual for other vehicles, including some older Jaguar products. Admittedly, I generally just disable the driver's side chime. While I may choose to flaunt Texas law, I typically expect my passengers to be belted as an unbelted passenger is a quick invite for a chat at the side of the road. Seat belt by itself with a solo passenger will generally NOT get such a conversation in my part of the Great State...

Slochap 12-07-2020 12:10 PM

Start the car while belted in and leave in park. Unbuckle and re-buckle your seatbelt approximately 10 times as quickly as possible. You will hear a chime and the seatbelt warning chime and light are disabled. You can re-set the warning light and chime by following the same procedure.

scm 12-07-2020 12:15 PM

No chime in my MY18 but I do get an annoying messaging that I have to acknowledge - i'll give that your technique a try to see if it works for me.

Uncle Fishbits 12-08-2020 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Slochap (Post 2325723)
Start the car while belted in and leave in park. Unbuckle and re-buckle your seatbelt approximately 10 times as quickly as possible. You will hear a chime and the seatbelt warning chime and light are disabled. You can re-set the warning light and chime by following the same procedure.

If this actually works, this is some video game cheat code "I worked in the factory" knowledge. LOL

otokar 12-09-2020 05:38 PM

its easier and more fun to drink the wine before the drive and throw the bottles away before the journey.
2 birds....1 stone.....problem solved

JgaXkr 12-09-2020 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits (Post 2326082)
If this actually works, this is some video game cheat code "I worked in the factory" knowledge. LOL

This information used to be published in the owners manuals for the later XK's.

otokar 12-11-2020 05:34 PM

i just tried it and it works....one more great customization

NavyBlue 12-12-2020 12:58 AM

Easy, u drink all the wine, beer, moonshine, etc., so empty bottles won't weigh enough to trigger chime.
But always leave one full bottle to share with Police Officer when he pulls u over later...

Jaguardeseo 12-13-2020 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Slochap (Post 2325723)

Wow great information. Thank you!