Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   F-Type ( X152 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/)
-   -   how to make the f-type stiffer (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/how-make-f-type-stiffer-196787/)

indietor 02-14-2018 08:21 AM

how to make the f-type stiffer

is the only no good point for me
stock is not stiffer on the supension like porsche

put lowering springs eibach can improve a little ?

i really jump on certan point where with the cayman i don't jump :D

Stohlen 02-14-2018 08:52 AM

Number 1 misconception about suspension: stiffer isn’t always better. I think if you try to stiffen up the F type you’ll just make it more uncomfortable and it will handle worse.

Never once have i felt this car needs a stiffer spring rate or less body roll, but people complain about that constantly. Dynamics of a vehicle are very complex, and a lot of engineering has gone into getting the suspension where it is.

ek993 02-14-2018 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Stohlen (Post 1842280)
Number 1 misconception about suspension: stiffer isn’t always better. I think if you try to stiffen up the F type you’ll just make it more uncomfortable and it will handle worse.

Never once have i felt this car needs a stiffer spring rate or less body roll, but people complain about that constantly. Dynamics of a vehicle are very complex, and a lot of engineering has gone into getting the suspension where it is.

+1 just look at what Lotus have accomplished in the suspension dept to realize that stiffer isn’t better

indietor 02-14-2018 09:09 AM

yes i agree with you guys

but i need to learn the different dynamic of that car ... because when is not bumpy it have great handling

4x4uk 02-14-2018 09:30 AM

if you are running in dynamic mode try setting suspension to std rather than dynamic see if that feels better on the road

Stohlen 02-14-2018 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by indietor (Post 1842293)
because when is not bumpy it have great handling

Stiffer suspension is only going to make that problem worse. You need better dampening if you want to eliminate bumpy... that only comes in more complex suspension systems like magnetic ride or alike that aren’t offered for our car.

zmoothg 02-14-2018 11:55 AM

If anyone finds a great solution to the F-Types horrible suspension please let me know. The car does jump a lot more than even my friends 718 cayman or my old G35 coupe on coilovers. I used to love running Skyline Blvd in the Infiniti, the car was nice and planted; however, in the F-Type it's way too bouncy for the uneven terrain. The roll could also be slightly better, but it is not a show-stopper like the bounce.

Chawumba 02-14-2018 12:52 PM

4000lbs doesn't help...

Agree with others, lowering springs often improve looks more than handling.

indietor 02-14-2018 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by zmoothg (Post 1842371)
If anyone finds a great solution to the F-Types horrible suspension please let me know. The car does jump a lot more than even my friends 718 cayman or my old G35 coupe on coilovers. I used to love running Skyline Blvd in the Infiniti, the car was nice and planted; however, in the F-Type it's way too bouncy for the uneven terrain. The roll could also be slightly better, but it is not a show-stopper like the bounce.

same of me on cayman

i think the solution will be KW 3 coilover spring

AnD3rew 02-14-2018 01:02 PM

I find the F to be a reasonable compromise between too stiff and uncomfortable and too soft and rolly. As others have said what you are describing sounds like too stiff rather than not stiff enough, stiffer will make that problem worse.

If you have the dynamic suspension try configuring your dynamic mode with the standard suspension set up and see how that goes, it might improve your road feel on those sections.

indietor 02-14-2018 01:35 PM

the comfort is not my goal , i prefer more handling and no bumpy on the roads....sometimes it litterally FLY on the bumps :D like a leaper ahah

indietor 02-14-2018 01:35 PM

cayman was a razor in the turn

Stohlen 02-14-2018 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by indietor (Post 1842437)
the comfort is not my goal , i prefer more handling and no bumpy on the roads....sometimes it litterally FLY on the bumps :D like a leaper ahah

See but you’re not listening... stiffer = more bumpy. Better damping will make it handle better, stiffer suspension will just make it more uncomfortable (bumpy) and handle worse.

indietor 02-14-2018 03:10 PM

sorry ,but

when i talk bumpy i don't mean when you hear all the bump on the road like porsche and lamborghini

jaguar is more comfortable on bumpy road and this is good if you go comfortable but if you want a more sporty drive is too much "comfort setup"

and stiffer i mean more sport setup

hope i explain what i mean because im not perfect with english :)

AnD3rew 02-15-2018 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by indietor (Post 1842480)
sorry ,but

when i talk bumpy i don't mean when you hear all the bump on the road like porsche and lamborghini

jaguar is more comfortable on bumpy road and this is good if you go comfortable but if you want a more sporty drive is too much "comfort setup"

and stiffer i mean more sport setup

hope i explain what i mean because im not perfect with english :)

We understand you but I think you will find that while it will not handle like a Porsche you might improve its handling, not just its comfort by allowing it to damp a bit better on the rougher sections so use the softer setup on that section and see if it handles better, sporty better not just comfort better.

indietor 02-15-2018 06:09 AM

ok i give a try :)

zmoothg 02-15-2018 07:18 PM

Someone needs to get the KW 3 coilover springs and report back on the setup, too bad it doesn't interface with the cars electronic dampening control. The Porsche is the best balance of ride quality and handling, but then again Porsche is the king of suspension.

My car does almost literally fly on uneven payment extremely reducing now fast I can take these back mountain roads, lowered BRZs and Mini Coopers are kicking my ass on this road. :( My car needs better legs and a diet.

Stuart@VelocityAP 02-15-2018 07:46 PM

Check out our progressive rate lowering springs.

The drop is very moderate - 22mm - and due to the tapered coil you will NOT end up with a harsher/stiffer ride. However, upon loading they do increase in rate so body roll will be reduced, weight transfers quicker but not at the expense of damper function or ride quality.

Jaguar F-Type Progressive Rate Lowering Springs

indietor 02-15-2018 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP (Post 1843084)
Check out our progressive rate lowering springs.

The drop is very moderate - 22mm - and due to the tapered coil you will NOT end up with a harsher/stiffer ride. However, upon loading they do increase in rate so body roll will be reduced, weight transfers quicker but not at the expense of damper function or ride quality.

Jaguar F-Type Progressive Rate Lowering Springs

hi stuart with the springs the "fly" go better ? a little improvement will be great , or only in weight transfers quicker , thx

zmoothg 02-15-2018 08:24 PM

I have the VAP springs, the fly is still there. I can't recall if its better or worse than stock in terms of reducing the car flying ability :P