Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   F-Type ( X152 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/)
-   -   How to raise engine noise in cabin? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/how-raise-engine-noise-cabin-216690/)

maxiedaniels 04-20-2019 05:19 PM

How to raise engine noise in cabin?

The v6 f-type sounds absurdly good from outside the car, but I’m disappointed with the lack of engine feel/sound from inside the cabin. I’ve tried dynamic+sport mode (passive exhaust). It’s almost like someone cut most of the low end out of the sound. It does sound better when it’s very high revs, but still feels strange to me, like it’s distant.

I saw one post where someone removed sound deadening to help more engine sound enter the car. If anyone has tried that, did it work for you? I realize road noise would increase but I don’t think that would bother me.

Aside from that, is there an exhaust modification recommended that doesn’t make things too raspy?

Unhingd 04-20-2019 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by maxiedaniels (Post 2058306)
The v6 f-type sounds absurdly good from outside the car, but I’m disappointed with the lack of engine feel/sound from inside the cabin. I’ve tried dynamic+sport mode (passive exhaust). It’s almost like someone cut most of the low end out of the sound. It does sound better when it’s very high revs, but still feels strange to me, like it’s distant.

I saw one post where someone removed sound deadening to help more engine sound enter the car. If anyone has tried that, did it work for you? I realize road noise would increase but I don’t think that would bother me.

Aside from that, is there an exhaust modification recommended that doesn’t make things too raspy?

Add a VAP Valvetronic exhaust. It’ll provide plenty of internal sound with no raspiness if you keep the OEM downpipes.

OzXFR 04-20-2019 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd (Post 2058321)
Add a VAP Valvetronic exhaust. It’ll provide plenty of internal sound with no raspiness if you keep the OEM downpipes.

And get the VAP larger crank pulley and tune, the SC whine goes from barely audible to "747 taking off".
Never mind the increases in power, torque, responsiveness and performance!

teacoff 04-20-2019 08:15 PM

I find a cost effective solution is lowering the windows to increase the sound inside...... :icon_smile:

BruceTheQuail 04-20-2019 09:23 PM

agreed, if we could lower the rear windows the problem would be solved. The sound inside is incredible if they are taken out (which I did in my XKR)

jbajor 04-20-2019 10:22 PM

Or..... get the Vert!!! Always a decision of listening to tunes or the exhaust symphony! ;)

Brava 04-20-2019 11:55 PM

My car is so noisy inside I can’t speak to people when in dynamic mode; I need to turn off the exhaust for phone calls or passenger conversations

maxiedaniels 04-21-2019 02:16 AM

Lolll. Unfortunately windows down doesn’t fix things for me.. interesting about the VAP mods, will research more. Thanks!

scm 04-21-2019 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by jbajor (Post 2058401)
Always a decision of listening to tunes or the exhaust symphony! ;)

No-brainer! ;)

fujicoupe 04-21-2019 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by maxiedaniels (Post 2058306)

Have you looked into adding the Internal Sound Enhancement feature? I believe it's called a Symposer, although it may only enhance engine sounds and not exhaust notes--don't know as it is not an active feature on my car.

Nati 04-21-2019 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by fujicoupe
Have you looked into adding the Internal Sound Enhancement feature? I believe it's called a Symposer, although it may only enhance engine sounds and not exhaust notes--don't know as it is not an active feature on my car.

Pretty sure that's not a choice. I think it's on every F type.

fujicoupe 04-21-2019 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Nati (Post 2058560)
Pretty sure that's not a choice. I think it's on every F type.

No, it is not on every F-Type; it's not on mine. From the build sheet provided when I purchased the car: "G27Z LESS Internal Sound Enhancement"

lizzardo 04-21-2019 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by fujicoupe (Post 2058574)
No, it is not on every F-Type; it's not on mine. From the build sheet provided when I purchased the car: "G27Z LESS Internal Sound Enhancement"

I wish mine had come without it, but fortunately it's really easy to defeat. It overpowers the "good" sounds (engine, exhaust) by adding drone.

Nati 04-21-2019 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by fujicoupe

Interesting. It's not a configurable option according to any of the order guides I've seen.

Chawumba 04-21-2019 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Nati (Post 2058614)
Interesting. It's not a configurable option according to any of the order guides I've seen.

It's only like $10 of cheap plastic parts, and it produces much less value than that in terms of "engine" sound. Defeated mine,, but didn't really notice any difference.

Unhingd 04-21-2019 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by fujicoupe (Post 2058574)

You have the base V6?