Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I love my F type, but...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by pjr300
I hope people know that Elon Musk has really never started a successful business.... he's been great at generating excitement and obtaining VC, but....
and yet he's more successful than most of this forums members.

an entrepreneur knows behind every 1 successful business is a million failed attempts. plus i dont know what your standards are, but aside from paypal, I would call tesla a success.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:27 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 15FTypeR
I'm surprised to hear this much negativity about Elon. I was not aware he is doing any of what he is doing on the backs of US taxpayers. Citations?

To me he's a dreamer, a visionary. But he also actually gets results, which is the difference between a dreamer and a "doer". Perhaps he's a little over the top and ridiculous in some ways, but you can't deny he's broken more ground in a short time than ... anyone? I don't know who to compare to.

There's a lot more wrong with the US and some aspects of capitalism than Elon. I think Elon is the least of our problems here.
I did not state any negativity towards him myself. I gave an example of if, if, IF he was doing things such and such a way, THEN you could classify him as a "con man".

I'm merely referring to the charging stations...who should pay to have them built, to maintain them, etc. I sincerely don't believe Elon is running around personally funding the building of this charge station infrastructure, but that infrastructure is a vital component to the longevity of his vision. So, again, who pays for it??? Free market practice dictates that privately owned and operated stations should take the risk versus forcing taxpayers to become venture capitalists...thats not what tax money was designed to do here.

That's my biggest concern regarding this technology.

Example, if I choose to buy a Tesla, here where I live I would have to be patient and charge the car via 110v trickle cord, OR pony up and have FPL install an improved circuit breaker panel with a dedicated 220v charging port. But the onus of that decision would be mine alone. I'm not forcing my neighbors to split the cost with me to no benefit of theirs.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:32 AM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackSVR
Funny that crony capitalism exists or that taxpayers should just be expected to get raped via gun point with little to no actual input?

Forgot, liberal ideas so great they need to be mandated....
You just claimed that Elon Musk is behind "fake" global warming. Also you just compared taxes to rape.

Is this a parody account?

The following users liked this post:
SinF (11-20-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 11:34 AM

I did not state any negativity towards him myself. I gave an example of if, if, IF he was doing things such and such a way, THEN you could classify him as a "con man".
This is one of the most disingenuous forms of discussion I've ever seen. If I said something like "IF BlackSVR was just a paid shill for the oil and gas companies we'd probably want to consider him a con man..." that would be pretty ridiculous. See?

Last edited by LobsterClaws; 11-20-2017 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:35 AM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Forget Tesla for a moment. While entering the Auto industry with a new brand, which one would assume is all consuming in terms of time and commitment.

Then lets add to that SpaceX - it's not conceptual or a pipe dream, he actually launched rockets into outer space, and was able to land them again back on planet earth. Is that not quite staggering in terms of his vision and ability to execute?

As another poster on this thread said - who do you compare him to?

LobsterClaws (11-20-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by carzaddict
and yet he's more successful than most of this forums members.

an entrepreneur knows behind every 1 successful business is a million failed attempts. plus i dont know what your standards are, but aside from paypal, I would call tesla a success.
Agreed. PayPal wasn't bad by all accounts, just after eBay acquired the company it sort of went to crap over time. I haven't used PayPal since the recent spin-off, so can't comment on its current state.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by LobsterClaws
You just claimed that Elon Musk is behind "fake" global warming. Also you just compared taxes to rape.

Again referring to THE CHARGING STATIONS. Where in my original comment did I say Elon alone and just him is behind fake global warming.

Taxes are rape sir...three to four months of the average person's work year is TAKEN, yes forcibly TAKEN, (Gee like forcibly exercising you way with someone sexually).

Does Tesla (in essence Elon) stand to benefit monetarily from a charging station infrastructure... You betcha.

Is it better to get someone else to pay for said infrastructure... Yep, even better.

Do people, businesses, and thereby governments make market decisions based on pseudo science... Yep, sure do.

Where do governments get their money... You guessed it, TAXES.

So governments making market decisions uses what... Winner! TAXPAYER DOLLARS

You are naive if Tesla as a business (maybe not Elon personally) does not embrace crony capitalism in some form or another... GM did it too, defense contractors do it repeatedly, etc etc ad nauseum, hence the underlying problem.

Old 11-20-2017, 12:06 PM

This is one of the most disingenuous forms of discussion I've ever seen. If I said something like "IF BlackSVR was just a paid shill for the oil and gas companies we'd probably want to consider him a con man..." that would be pretty ridiculous. See?
Agreed, some analogies can be ridiculous. Not saying mine wasn't far fetched. But, there is just as much data stating man made global warming is BS, as there is stating it's science. Does the Chicken Little analogy work better instead? Fear and panic are great drivers of consumerism, you have to admit.

Yes, I'm playing Devils advocate here, and internet forum debates are often pointless and misconveyed. Fingers flying faster than they should...

Old 11-20-2017, 12:28 PM

Also, this:

Rape (definition): an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse

If taxes aren't considered a plunder of one's wealth (hence rape), then I don't know what is...

Old 11-20-2017, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

hmmm; without commenting on politics, climate change or Elon Musk, No I have no desire to own an electric car regardless of how fast it is. Without the internal combusion engine and the noises it makes, it's just an appliance to me with no soul......when we get to that, just hand me a beer and I'll sigh, get in my electric egg and let it self-drive (at the programmed speed limit) to wherever I need to go......maybe I'll be able to don some VR glasses and play a game about driving old gasoline powered cars whilst the egg takes me where I need to go!

Cheers,
Dave

Old 11-20-2017, 01:04 PM
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Wow, we have really gotten off topic.

We should probably stay away from taxes/global warming or other political issues on a thread about what we don't like about the F-Type. Telsa and Elon Musk also seem a bit off topic.

Old 11-20-2017, 01:06 PM
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

And to get back on topic, I love my F-Type but the active-exhaust really should be standard on all 2017 models.

Old 11-20-2017, 01:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

And to get back off topic, with all taxes we pay, why can't they fix the roads around here?!

Old 11-20-2017, 01:45 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by speedski
Telsa and Elon Musk also seem a bit off topic.
The thread was about the Tesla Roadster. But I agree - we should stay away from politics.

Old 11-20-2017, 02:02 PM

These kind of threads convince me more and more that I'd fit in better with electric car owners than Jag owners.

15FTypeR (11-20-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 410 Posts

Taxes are rape sir...three to four months of the average person's work year is TAKEN, yes forcibly TAKEN, (Gee like forcibly exercising you way with someone sexually).
Good luck having a functioning society without taxes

Old 11-20-2017, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Good luck having a functioning society without taxes
From 1991 to 2014 the Somali government collected no taxes. Seemed to work out fine for them. Oh... wait... it didn't??!!

Old 11-20-2017, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

From 1991 to 2014 the Somali government collected no taxes.
Do you think this relationship is causal? That is, did Somalia failed because they collected no taxes?

Also, Belgium has 64% individual and 34% corporate top tax rates. I am fairly sure they collect these. Is Belgium the most successful country in the world, more than say Denmark with 22% corporate and 58.75% individual?

What about Switzeland with 13.2% personal and 17.9% corporate? Are they an almost failed state too?

Did you know that North Korea taxes at 20%, Kazakhstan at 20%, Cuba at 50%, Aruba at 59%?

Old 11-20-2017, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by SinF
Do you think this relationship is causal? That is, did Somalia failed because they collected no taxes?

<rest of the quote snipped as I don't see the relevance, the question is about the existence of taxation, not about tax rates>
It's likely both. In that it starts as a symptom of a failed government but exacerbates the problems experienced in trying to rebuild. Without any taxation you don't have things like law enforcement and without law enforcement it is impossible to have a functioning society at scale.

Old 11-20-2017, 04:37 PM
Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

As I said before, can you cite where the government is paying for the charging stations, or other freebies you think Elon is getting? I sincerely do not know. Someone is saying he's a con man, not successful, getting government money, etc... all news to me, so I'm hoping there is some info to back that up.... I am just wondering where the facts are.

This place shocks me sometimes how we have 6-figure cars here but some of us don't seem to have the sense to earn that kind of money. Who's the con man?

Last edited by 15FTypeR; 11-20-2017 at 04:41 PM.
LobsterClaws (11-20-2017)