F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I///m back: Kief returns!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 07:13 AM
Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
Default I///M back: Kief returns!!!

So close to 9 months after unloading my 2016 Polaris White F-Type Coupe R, in order to go back to BMW for a 2017 M3 ZCP (I’m a BMW Fan Boy and also suffer from serious car-related ADHD), I couldn’t help myself and I picked up this black beauty (“Gemma”) on Monday: 2017 Ultimate Black over Suedecloth (I prefer referring to it as alcantara) F-Type Coupe R. Back story, I unloaded my 2015 M4 for the 2016 Coupe R…I see a cycle here!

Car also came equipped with 20” Rotor-Forged—are they really forged? I’m curious how much they actually weigh—I haven’t pushed the car yet, so not sure if the reduction in sprung weight is noticeable. Not my first wheel-choice, but they look much better in person and are growing on me. Vision and Black packs, and illuminated door sills.

Yesterday, I flew up to Buffalo from southeast PA and turned around to drive the 5.5 back home. Car had been on the dealer’s lot since January 1, 2017 (7 months—not bad, some have been sitting for 1.5yrs!) and it had 53 miles on the clock when I took possession.

Despite admitting being a serious BMW Fan Boy, ever since I unloaded my ’16 Coupe R back in Nov 2016 for the M3, I missed the Jag. Initially in fact, I stalked the Jag with the Jaguar Remote App in order to see where the car ended up—LOL! The few days following the sale, I watched how someone abused it (not really, but that’s what I was thinking) through the streets of center-city Philadelphia. I would use Google Maps and street view to see the outside of the addresses of where the Jag would end up—I’m nuts I know!! Eventually, the Jag landed in Fort Worth, TX and was sold. I never played around with the remote functions of turning on the lights or sounding the alarm to deter potential buyers—make the car seem possessed, like the movie Christine, but I did give it serious thought!!

And let me set the record-straight about my previous M4 and M3 ZCP, particularly my last M3 ZCP, there wasn’t anything particularly negative which forced me to sell the car after 9 months, I just never developed that emotional longing as I did with the ’16 R. Some then might be asking, then why did I ever sell the ’16 R, and that’s because I wasn’t being honest with myself. I’m a public employee in a low SES area and felt guilty and embarrassed by the attention at times. I eventually began to make myself feel like I didn’t deserve the car and I should get rid of it. But I’ve come to learn (at least I hope I have), that I work hard and respect what I have, and I shouldn’t let others dictate what I deserve—easier said than done, at least for me and my particular situation.

So during the 9 months of ownership with the M3, I still ached for the F-Type! I would go incognito here on the forums and see my old friends and read the excitement from new members who had just taken delivery. After only 4 months with the M3, I threw out a vague post on a BMW forum to someone else’s For Sale Thread about my car, and someone from Florida seemed genuinely interested, but they were in a time crunch and wanted an M car within the next two months. Unfortunately, I never was able to work up a Jag deal within that time and did want to string along this potential buyer, so the transaction never went further.

Fast forward to two weeks ago—that’s how quick this all came together!!! I saw some of the incredible deals folks were getting with remaining ’17 F-Types and I decided to make a formal For Sale Thread on the BMW forums and found a guy nearly immediately. He wasn’t interested in the lease transfer and wanted to purchase the car outright. I thought sweet, I have a relatively local buyer and let’s get this done, but only to find out that BMW would not transfer the title to my buyer, only to me the original lessee or a dealer (I seemed to recall this as I had transferred and sold previous BMWs before). As a result, regardless of how BMW got the payoff, I wouldn’t be able to transfer the title to the new owner without paying the sales tax in PA!! So I feverishly searched for a dealer to facilitate a courtesy trade for a fee. Dealers do not like to get involved with such scenarios, particularly if you aren’t buying another car from them, as there is liability for them. I went to Carmax, not for the courtesy trade, but to see what they would ultimately offer, and I was insulted! Eventually, I found a great BMW dealer willing to help us. However, because this was happening so quickly, my buyer hadn’t even seen my M3 yet! In the interim, I’m emailing all these Jag dealers about their remaining ’17 stock, not beating around the bush and asking for 20-25% off, and I received everything from essentially go “**** off,” to crickets! I eventually landed the car in Buffalo, but that negotiating process was a story in and of itself—absolutely crazy in terms of how some folks communicate (or lack thereof)—and this post has already gotten too long!

Getting back to my buyer, he was awesome and transparent, but understandably he needed to take his time to assess the car, talk things over with his wife, and cash out some stocks if he really wanted my M. I wasn’t about to lose the deal with Buffalo, and I certainly wasn’t going to move forward with Buffalo without selling my M first. I ended up selling the car directly to the BMW dealer/General Sales Manager, and he in turn honored the negotiating me and my buyer had previously hashed out if the guy was still interested in buying my M a few days later.

Point of sharing all of this is for lurkers here who are searching for killer deals. They are out there, but it takes work! Not sure if Jaguar will continue for another month or two to subvent these leases, but they are ridiculously good. I’m literally paying $1.54 per month for the money factor—that is freaking crazy!!! Coupled with the significant monies off, and this makes it the perfect time to jump on one of these last remaining leases. I thought about the 2018s, but these current deals are too good to pass up, and I’m not crazy with the R’s new front end as much. Although, it would be nice to get the updated infotainment and some of the other updates.

Anyway…I hope for a “relatively long” and uneventful ownership with “Gemma.” And I look forward to being active again on this forum. Just few quick and very dirty pics from once I got home last night. Car was filthy! And thanks to my OCD, I’m going to need to pay for a full paint correction as the car is littered with swirls and paint imperfections from unqualified dealer detailers who could not careless about the car’s finish.

Attached Thumbnails I///m back: Kief returns!!!-img_5056.jpg   I///m back: Kief returns!!!-img_5057.jpg   I///m back: Kief returns!!!-img_5058.jpg   I///m back: Kief returns!!!-img_5069.jpg   I///m back: Kief returns!!!-img_5070.jpg  

I///m back: Kief returns!!!-img_5071.jpg   I///m back: Kief returns!!!-img_5072.jpg   I///m back: Kief returns!!!-img_5073.jpg   I///m back: Kief returns!!!-img_5075.jpg   I///m back: Kief returns!!!-img_5077.jpg  

I///m back: Kief returns!!!-img_5079.jpg   I///m back: Kief returns!!!-img_5081.jpg  

Last edited by Kief; 08-01-2017 at 08:26 AM.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:05 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I couldn't find what I was looking for in Buffalo, and went down the Greenville South Carolina to buy my F-TYPE.
ajn

Old 08-01-2017, 08:11 AM
Received 170 Likes on 105 Posts

Beautiful car, love the wheels and I can see Gemma is in loving hands.

The following users liked this post:
Kief (08-01-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 08:14 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Kief, I'm about to put my M4 up for sale to buy an R. Curious about the sales tax dilemma you mentioned. Did the new buyer not want to pay the sales tax? I've sold cars out of a lease a few times but don't recall any issues. I'd have them send the check to the financial institute and they would send me the title. We'd go to AAA, transfer ownership and the new owner paid sales tax there.

Not questioning the events, more of wondering if something has changed.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by stahlee
Kief, I'm about to put my M4 up for sale to buy an R. Curious about the sales tax dilemma you mentioned. Did the new buyer not want to pay the sales tax? I've sold cars out of a lease a few times but don't recall any issues. I'd have them send the check to the financial institute and they would send me the title. We'd go to AAA, transfer ownership and the new owner paid sales tax there.

Not questioning the events, more of wondering if something has changed.
No, my buyer paid sales tax when he registered it in the State in which he resides.

States like California (Texas?), give you a grace period (10 days) of not having to pay sales tax if you are simply just transferring/selling the car to another private party. Also, States like TX, you already have paid the sales tax on the lease upfront. Here in PA, sales tax is only applied each month to the base payment.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:40 AM

Oh yeah, your R is gorgeous! I've been looking for a perfect R for the last month. I may have found the one, but still negotiating. I'll PM you about where you listed your M.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Welcome back. Enjoy.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Kief
No, my buyer paid sales tax when he registered it in the State in which he resides.

States like California (Texas?), give you a grace period (10 days) of not having to pay sales tax if you are simply just transferring/selling the car to another private party. Also, States like TX, you already have paid the sales tax on the lease upfront. Here in PA, sales tax is only applied each month to the base payment.
Ok, yes that makes sense. I used to live in PA before moving to Tx. I recall there being a 10 day grace period there too, but the buyers were all PA residents. Yeah, I paid the tax upfront here on my M4 which does suck. Although, PA does charge the 9% tax on leases.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:32 AM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

Welcome back!

Kief (08-02-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 12:10 PM
Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Congrats on the car

I love your garage too!

The following 2 users liked this post by jfranks:
Jagged Wire (08-01-2017), Kief (08-02-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Welcome back, Kief! We're still doing the occasional ride in this part of the woods. Looking forward to having you join us.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:23 PM
Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Welcome back to the fold. Remember me? I talked you into the 2016. I also traded from a 2015 to a 2016 meet "Scarlett"
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...2016-a-161669/

Old 08-01-2017, 01:26 PM
Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Welcome home :-)
CRS

Kief (08-02-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Welcome back, Kief! We're still doing the occasional ride in this part of the woods. Looking forward to having you join us.
+1 Kief. Welcome home!

Old 08-01-2017, 10:33 PM
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Welcome back! Glad it all worked out. Can't wait to see it once you get it up to your standards

Those are my favorite seats, don't see them often

Old 08-02-2017, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Thanks Lance! We should all schedule something in the fall.
Unfortunately, I cannot make Jay's 2017 Lobster Run

Old 08-02-2017, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by RawwR
Welcome back to the fold. Remember me? I talked you into the 2016. I also traded from a 2015 to a 2016 meet "Scarlett"
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...2016-a-161669/
Of course I remember my fellow M brother!
I guess I just couldn't stay away!

I think I recall you had some issues with Scarlett right after the trade. Hopefully everything worked out. You still thinking about a GTR next?

Old 08-02-2017, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by Mbourne
+1 Kief. Welcome home!
Thanks Marco!

Old 08-02-2017, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by JackMac
Welcome back! Glad it all worked out. Can't wait to see it once you get it up to your standards

Those are my favorite seats, don't see them often
Thanks John! Hopefully I can get the JackMac discount, b/c my paint needs it bad!! I need to go to West Chester Jag any day now to get PA State Inspection. I may swing by Berardi's for a quote and drop a name

I love the alcantara/suede interior as well. I had full Jet/Citrus on my '16, and this is a nice change.

Old 08-02-2017, 05:18 AM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

dat v8 doe

welcome back mate