F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Improving the stock intake: More flow, lower IAT's & More SC noise!

Old 04-26-2018, 08:27 PM
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by XJ8JR
I removed the stock air boxes on my XJ and fitted giant cone filters with the Mina intake tube. INSANE supercharger whine. It actually startled me on the test drive. No joke, it's almost as loud as a Hellcat or Demon when in Dynamic mode. Open cone filters are the key to unlocking the noise. Leave the factory snorkels and create some sort of heatshield and you're golden.
do you have pics of this you can share? any other info? how did you address MAF mounting and placements?

thanks!

Old 04-27-2018, 08:53 AM
Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Had a response from ITG, it is as below:

"Hi Andrew,

Many thanks for your interest in ITG air filters.

We do have an option for the F type which utilises 2 x Silicone elbows and 2 x large Maxogen air filters.

This would be fitted onto your OE MAF housings. It replaces the stock intake, which includes removal of the lower half of the stock airboxes.

We can look to supply you this at £245 + VAT,

Look forward to hearing from you,

Best regards,

Sahd Sharif

Development Engineer"

I am guessing this is just deletion of the air boxes and a pair of cone filters which attach to the maf housings, not what I am ideally looking for, however the price is extremely good at just £245 +VAT ($340). I am sure they ship to USA as well.

His contact details are:

Sahd Sharif
Development Engineer
Induction Technology Group Ltd
Siskin Drive
Coventry
CV3 4FJ

Tel: 024 7630 5386
Fax: 024 7630 7999
Email: technical@itgairfilters.com

The following users liked this post:
Panthro (06-26-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 09:12 AM
The following 2 users liked this post by Gibbo205:
Dremorg (04-27-2018), Panthro (06-26-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam J
do you have pics of this you can share? any other info? how did you address MAF mounting and placements?

thanks!
On the later Bosch models, the MAF tube is a separate piece that screws onto the air filter box. Once you remove the box assembly, you're left with a nice .75" lip for the cone filters to clamp on to. I made temporary "heat shields" out of plastic trash bins cut to fit, and some rubber molding along the edges. I also made cut-outs for the factory snorkels to shove air in there. I know it sounds SUPER red-neck, but it works and doesn't look bad. Chris over at Mina Gallery took a look at it and offered to take measurements for a proper heat shield, so I'll take him up on that soon.

The setup hasn't caused any codes and the fuel trims are perfect. No discernible difference in performance but the WHINE...oh boy, the whine is incredible.

Unfortunately, I think the older Denso models don't have MAF tubes separate from the air box so I'm not sure how you would set this up, but everything can easily be reverted back to stock on the Bosch units.

I didn't bother posting this before because historically the Jaguar Forum members have not been receptive to intake mods. The age-old arguments about paper vs cone filters, CAI vs stock, blah blah blah, always seem to come up. In no way am I saying this is any kind of "performance" mod. It is done purely for increased supercharger whine. And when I say "increased", I mean LOUD.

I'll try to get some pics this weekend.

Panthro (04-30-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 04:51 PM

Nice feedback and what you have done sounds like what ITG is offering for $340 which is essentially a pair of cone filter and some silicon bent tubing to connect the filters the maf tubes on the bosch models which SVR's are.

Guess its something I could give ago as £300 is not hugely expensive just not sure about running cone filters.

I do wish we could monitor IAT on our cars then at least could see what modifications work and don't for IAT, normally open cone filters suck in much warmer air from engine bay, though I suppose in the F-Type the filters are low down in front bumper behind the partially blocked vents.

Old 04-27-2018, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Gibbo205
I do wish we could monitor IAT on our cars then at least could see what modifications work and don't for IAT, normally open cone filters suck in much warmer air from engine bay, though I suppose in the F-Type the filters are low down in front bumper behind the partially blocked vents.
If you have some sort of heat shield plus access to the factory snorkels you shouldn't have much of a problem with sucking in hot engine air once the car gets moving. Yeah, the intake temps will rise faster when you're sitting in traffic...but you don't really need full power when you're motionless anyway. The temps drop like a rock as soon as you start moving again. I've seen this for myself through the OBD readings on my old 4.2. It's my completely unscientific belief that the sheer volume of air rushing into an open filter negates the harmful effects of possibly sucking in warm engine air. I guess it really depends on how quickly the ECU adapts to changes in the intake temps.

Last edited by XJ8JR; 04-27-2018 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:27 PM

Well I made an experimental ram air setup for my F-Type at weekend, thought its not truly a sealed ram air as I simply inserted some short lengths of brake duct cooling hose into the snorkels to extend said snorkels to directly behind front grill.

Using cable ties tied them down to hold in position behind front grill, in short the catch the air entering the grill more efficiently and thus the faster you go the air box gets more air than its requesting and thus trying to create ram air situation and of course help reduce IAT's.

Thought its not a perfect science I got one run at drag strip today, unfortunately it was insanely busy so I'd had the engine idling 90 minutes before my first run, in similar situations with excessive engine idling in staging and thus everything heat soaked I was running around 1.44's and a previous PB of 1.3080 from when the engine was not heat soaked and on 2PC brakes.

Well today even with not ideal conditions I ran a new PB of 11.28@124mph and feel that could certainly be improved upon some more, but in short, does it help, unknown, has it had an negative impact, certainly not.

So now probably time to perfect it by getting some proper air scoops made by Velossa or by making my own from a combination of brake ducting and brake air scoops and position them carefully behind front grill to not block radiator flow, at present the rough mockup has no impact of radiator flow.

Old 04-29-2018, 05:08 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Is there an obd reader or program that we can use to see intake temps?

Old 04-29-2018, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Guest1

That would be amazing if there was, would put a bit of true science to this testing. As good as drag times are, they can be effected by other aspects such ambient environmental conditions, tail winds or head winds, heat soak issues etc.

So really today I was testing to see if experimental ram air setup would have any negative impacts. So to run a PB I think is fair to say its having no negative effect, was it the reason for the PB, thats a total unknown, but I did not perfect my tyre pressures today like I normally do so even more impressed to run a PB but this car continues to impress me to run an 11.2 stock.

Old 04-29-2018, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Gibbo205
That would be amazing if there was, would put a bit of true science to this testing. As good as drag times are, they can be effected by other aspects such ambient environmental conditions, tail winds or head winds, heat soak issues etc.

So really today I was testing to see if experimental ram air setup would have any negative impacts. So to run a PB I think is fair to say its having no negative effect, was it the reason for the PB, thats a total unknown, but I did not perfect my tyre pressures today like I normally do so even more impressed to run a PB but this car continues to impress me to run an 11.2 stock.
Ya I think its awesome that you are doing this, more of us need to experiment for the platform to be pushed forward

Old 04-29-2018, 08:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,113 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest1
I use Torque Lite (free app) on my android phone (Samsung) with an Elm327 OBD2 plug and one of the things it shows is IAT in real time.
I'm fairly sure you can also get Torque Lite for iphone.

Guest1 (04-29-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 07:49 AM
Received 146 Likes on 75 Posts

I was in there this weekend cleaning out my lower inter-cooler and grabbed these shots for reference.

2015 F-Type V8S Bumper Cover Removed

2015 F-Type V8S looking up at the airbox. Filter and bottom half of airbox removed.

4x4uk (04-30-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 08:03 AM
Received 146 Likes on 75 Posts

and i will confirm with the airbox off the SC whine is epic....

Don't understand why JLR didn't incorporate the side vents in the bumper for the airbox, its right there..

Old 04-30-2018, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Itismejoshy
I was in there this weekend cleaning out my lower inter-cooler and grabbed these shots for reference.

2015 F-Type V8S Bumper Cover Removed

2015 F-Type V8S looking up at the airbox. Filter and bottom half of airbox removed.

OK those snorkels are definitely different to my SVR, they sit much higher up making it even harder for them to get cooler air (worse) so if anything SVR snorkels would be an upgrade as they are shorter.

Also I'd suggest due to how high those are, it would not be possible for velossa to make anything to work on those and probably not possible to do what I did on mine.

Though I do see possibility, if you cut away the front piece of those snorkels that appear after the crash bar, effectively opening front top half, then put a lid on them they would effectively act as massive air collectors naturally catching the air, of course do make sure the hole in the bottom of your air boxes is present, to ensure they don't also catch water and fill up.

P.S. Assume you started car without air boxes on and gave a few revs to listen for SC noise? Should of made a recording with air box and without. Kind of makes the ITG cone filter option interested considering its only about $350. My only worry with cone filters is the air boxes get quite dirty, but with just cone filters would result in cone filter covered in dirt.

Last edited by Gibbo205; 04-30-2018 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:01 AM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

yes looks like SVR snorkels are cut down versions of the standard ones so must be some improvement otherwise they would have just fitted stock ones

Old 04-30-2018, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Itismejoshy
and i will confirm with the airbox off the SC whine is epic....

Don't understand why JLR didn't incorporate the side vents in the bumper for the airbox, its right there..
I suspect too much dirt would enter and over time heavily reduce the filters ability to flow air and risk of dirt particulars as I did notice the air boxes were very dirty on outside as the SVR bumper lower side vents are open so a lot of road dirt gets in there.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by 4x4uk
yes looks like SVR snorkels are cut down versions of the standard ones so must be some improvement otherwise they would have just fitted stock ones

Yep, but I'd say those stock ones are better for modding, I'd literally cut the front piece of above bumper bar, just leaving the sides and back intact, then out of the cut off piece, cut to size a piece to put a lid on them and then another piece angled from lid to back to help guide the air down into them, just use some good heat proof glue.

You then have to massive air collectors. I might buy a pair, modify them and fit in place of my SVR ones.

Also the SVR ones seem designed to catch more air but also at the same time to allow more air to radiators as those do seem to somewhat block the radiators very marginally.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:27 AM

Here is a picture of the SVR snorkels again, I made image brighter so you can see in more detail:

Here is my very rough modification for now, to direct more external air into them and catch colder air at speed:

To perfect this I would use slightly larger diameter ducting as what I had too hand was a little too small and the snorkels can certainly accomodate slightly larger for a more snug fit and of course larger opening to car more air.

Then to ensure they catch more air and to make them neater you could finish them off with a brake duct, something like these examples:

Just some examples to neaten it up and catch even more air, of course as its behind the grill and in a dark area you don't see what is back there.

I shall probably just buy larger ducting to fit in the snorkels snugly, then use these on the ends behind grill for neatness but also because the lip will provide good securing point for zip ties:
http://www.revotec.com/acatalog/Black.html

Last edited by Gibbo205; 04-30-2018 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:18 PM

That could work, but what if you simply take out the entire snorkel and just put bigger diameter hose in its place?

Old 04-30-2018, 05:47 PM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

agreed a crude but fairly simple mod could possible work wonders

might look at getting another set of std snorkels so I can cut and make a 45 degree bend by cutting snokels at 45 degrees

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Improving the stock intake: More flow, lower IAT's & More SC noise!