Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar is killing the three-pedal F-Type and it’s your fault

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by pdupler
Me too. Miami Vice was one of my favorite shows back then for the cars, the boats and also the music. I was devastated when they blew up the Daytona at the end of the second season (part of the deal with Ferrari supplying them with a real Testarossa for the third season). Of course back then I didn't know it wasn't a real Ferrari. I was just a high school kid in a blue collar neighborhood so what did I know. Fast forward 33 years, now being extremely familiar with the C3 Corvette, I figure it wouldn't be much of a stretch to own one of those replicas so that too is also on my extremely long wish list (or a real one if I win the lottery).

In Fish's defense tho, I haven't seen reruns in many years, but I think I remember there was a white Countach in one or more episodes driven by one of the bad guys. Now that WAS the classic teenage bedroom wall poster car.
I guess red is Magnum PI to me, because I was thinking of this, which is still a Ferrari, but wow... the amount of cars in that show! It's awesome how jumbled my memories are. =)
https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Cars_in_Miami_Vice

Old 02-08-2019, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by eeeeek
Quite the list. If I remember correctly, you have no chance of folding your legs into a 308. As for the Citreon, why not one of the SMs? If you're going to go with a french car, add Italian complexity!
I am constantly augmenting, updating. It's usually something I see in Sports Car market... I like to take notes because I have zero bandwidth to memorize makes and model by year, let alone the minutia between model years. It's a pie in the sky thing, of course, but if the boomers all load their collections in the markets at once, I bet I can pick up one or two. =)

Old 02-08-2019, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
I am constantly augmenting, updating. It's usually something I see in Sports Car market... I like to take notes because I have zero bandwidth to memorize makes and model by year, let alone the minutia between model years. It's a pie in the sky thing, of course, but if the boomers all load their collections in the markets at once, I bet I can pick up one or two. =)
Just imagine what will happen to the markets when the boomers cash in their IRAs to pay for retirement.

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
SinF (02-14-2019), Uncle Fishbits (02-13-2019)
Old 02-09-2019, 07:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,057 Likes on 673 Posts

Just wait for the next stock market crash. In 2009, collectors were unloading and I picked up a professionally restored 68 Mustang out of a large collection auction for peanuts. Enjoyed it for a few years and sold it for a nice profit. The only trouble is trying not to be a victim of the crash yourself.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (02-13-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member

Your last two comments are something I have thought about, especially as interest in cars also changes for new generations.
I expect by the time I am near death, I'll be able to collect them like hot wheels. lol I just need that cool carrying case.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:29 PM
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Hate to return to the topic, but it isn't us that's killing the three pedal F-Type: it's the ZF8 transmission. If ya want to stir your gears, go ahead with paddles or sequential shifter. If not, leave in limousine mode. It's faster. It never misses a shift. It goes all the way to the red-line (wonder how close your average shift is to red-line).

I've been heel-and-toeing for about 60 years, and am proud of my skill (never even ground a gear, much less missed a shift, in 10 days in Formula Fords with un-synchronized gearboxes) , but I don't miss losing the skill, especially in the traffic I drive in - I live in the seventh largest city in the USA.

Old 02-14-2019, 02:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by FullChat
Hate to return to the topic, but it isn't us that's killing the three pedal F-Type: it's the ZF8 transmission. If ya want to stir your gears, go ahead with paddles or sequential shifter. If not, leave in limousine mode. It's faster. It never misses a shift. It goes all the way to the red-line (wonder how close your average shift is to red-line).

I've been heel-and-toeing for about 60 years, and am proud of my skill (never even ground a gear, much less missed a shift, in 10 days in Formula Fords with un-synchronized gearboxes) , but I don't miss losing the skill, especially in the traffic I drive in - I live in the seventh largest city in the USA.
Same logic as giving up the Japanese Tea Ceremony in favor of tea bags. Faster and more convenient. Something to be said for cultural tradition.

Old 04-14-2019, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member

AAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaand... we've come full circle:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/23/o...hift-cars.html

Old 04-14-2019, 12:28 PM
Received 139 Likes on 76 Posts

Fighting the good fight.

Old 04-14-2019, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,057 Likes on 673 Posts

AAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaand... we've come full circle:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/23/o...hift-cars.html
What a coincidence they chose an interior picture from a 1968 Mustang. Of course it was fun to drive a stick shift back then when the change of gears was all about having the engine in the best power band, but now seems most of our driving is done crawling along in stop and go traffic. Now some cars are equipped with features that will inch along in stop and go traffic for you. But if that system fails, you're going to bump into the car ahead of you or the car behind is going to bump into you. My father who is in his 80s and still very active (he still walks two miles a day) recently bought a new Hyundai Sonata, the top of the line with every option because he wanted all those nifty safety gadgets. His reasoning was that he thought that the technology might help him maintain his independence much longer. He swears the automatic braking has saved him at least twice. But he has also expressed some concern over its apparent braking when he didn't see anything that should have caused it to brake. There's going to come some situations where these systems malfunction and CAUSE accidents. Perhaps there's just not enough of them on the road yet, or not enough of these cars are at the age where things start to wear out. Maybe we SHOULD still be replacing clutches and throwout bearings instead of sensors and solenoids. Kill the engine in traffic and its only embarrassing.

Old 04-14-2019, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by pdupler
... he has also expressed some concern over its apparent braking when he didn't see anything that should have caused it to brake. There's going to come some situations where these systems malfunction and CAUSE accidents.
I've been driving a Discovery Sport courtesy car for a month. I swear it's trying to kill me.

I turned off the lane keep / auto steer feature after it tried to swerve into a left turn lane (I was going straight through). I turned off the collision avoidance after it (twice) braked rather sharply when it was all clear up ahead.

To cap it off, the hatch tried to close on me while I was leaning in grabbing the groceries - it tried to eat me!

Old 04-14-2019, 04:06 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Boeing 737 Max MCAS, anyone?

Gas Cat (04-16-2019)
Old 04-14-2019, 04:36 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree that the manual is unfortunately almost a thing of the past.

After deciding on the F-Type, I began my search for one (a 2018) in dealer inventories across the COUNTRY. There were a grand total of 6 available.

One dealership in Southern CA (four dealerships under one masthead) had over 150 F-Types in inventory. ZERO manuals.

So I factory-ordered my car (BRG P340 w 6 spd). Took almost 7 months to get the car. (2 of them the car sat at Baltimore Port while JLR decided on pricing and obtained new model year certification).

A recent article in Road & Track, covering the new F Type I-4 model, stated that JLR put the take rate for manuals at "under 2%".

Sad.

Old 04-14-2019, 05:10 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,051 Posts

They may have dropped it to avoid being bankrupted by gearbox warranty claims?

rbsj (04-18-2019)
Old 04-14-2019, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by scm
They may have dropped it to avoid being bankrupted by gearbox warranty claims?
This is what I'm choosing to believe.

Old 04-14-2019, 05:48 PM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Luc Lapierre
This is what I'm choosing to believe.
It’s been a few days since I got my car back, initially I was so angry that I had to spend $3k of my own money, but there’s just something about this car that I can’t help but thinking I should keep it, am I mad?

Old 04-14-2019, 06:00 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had not heard about MT reliability issues, but I am new to the forum and this is my first Jaguar (even tho I have recently entered my 7th decade).

Knowing that Jaguar has left the model essentially unchanged for so many years, and that the take rate for MT's is so small, I decided to lease it, and let Chase Bank
worry about the RV and resale at the end of the 39 month term!

Meanwhile - have any of you experienced issues with your temperature gauges? Mine is a 2019. V6 P340. It has about 700 miles on it. I just got it out of storage a couple weeks ago. Runs fine, but the temperature gauge 'barely' registers a reading...…...just a very small bit of blue at the bottom of the band.

Old 04-15-2019, 06:09 AM
Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Temp gauge

The blue at the bottom is the color on the gauge itself. The actual indicator is a white “dot” or small square which moves between the blue at the bottom and the red at the top.
Bill

Old 04-15-2019, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Luc Lapierre
I've been driving a Discovery Sport courtesy car for a month. I swear it's trying to kill me.

I turned off the lane keep / auto steer feature after it tried to swerve into a left turn lane (I was going straight through). I turned off the collision avoidance after it (twice) braked rather sharply when it was all clear up ahead.

To cap it off, the hatch tried to close on me while I was leaning in grabbing the groceries - it tried to eat me!
I do not have collision avoidance, but the lane departure is WILD... it's really surreal to be fighting against your steering wheel's own perception of the situation. AI is weird. And not there yet.

Old 04-15-2019, 12:06 PM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts

I do not have collision avoidance, but the lane departure is WILD... it's really surreal to be fighting against your steering wheel's own perception of the situation. AI is weird. And not there yet.
Are you sure you don't have AEB?

Quick Reply: Jaguar is killing the three-pedal F-Type and it’s your fault