Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   F-Type ( X152 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/)
-   -   Jaguar SVR vs Dodge Demon...and the winner is??? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/jaguar-svr-vs-dodge-demon-winner-201311/)

VR46 05-08-2018 03:22 PM

Jaguar SVR vs Dodge Demon...and the winner is???

Thought you'd all get a kick out of this...

Nati 05-08-2018 03:40 PM

Demon driver asleep

SVR 05-08-2018 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Nati (Post 1891591)
Demon driver asleep

Sure...but that had zero effect on the outcome.

Gibbo205 05-08-2018 04:28 PM

Looks like the SVR driver held the car on the brake with some RPM dialled in, something I have not tried so far, I just launch from idle.

Maybe I can go faster if I dial in some engine RPM with brake still applied?

ndabunka 05-08-2018 04:32 PM

Unless the Demon driver is a newbie, the Demon will "take it" UNTIL you have to turn the steering wheel (e.g. road track or simply a twisty mountain road) and then the F-Type would run away from it.

PS - The SVR driver also got away with a shallow stage so that he could roll some without tripping the light. Better Jag driver and the Demone would have lost by more

Nati 05-08-2018 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by SVR
Sure...but that had zero effect on the outcome.

How do you figure? It's the reason he lost.

VR46 05-08-2018 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Nati (Post 1891627)
How do you figure? It's the reason he lost.

The reaction time is not included in the qtr mile time...they're separate recorded times as I understand. I believe its explained in the video.

SVR 05-08-2018 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Gibbo205 (Post 1891615)
Looks like the SVR driver held the car on the brake with some RPM dialled in, something I have not tried so far, I just launch from idle.

Maybe I can go faster if I dial in some engine RPM with brake still applied?

When stock, it will launch a bit harder by brake torquing. However after the VAP tune, I ran quicker launching from idle. Otherwise it would trigger torque limitation and fall on its face after launch.

Nati 05-08-2018 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by VR46
The reaction time is not included in the qtr mile time...they're separate recorded times as I understand. I believe its explained in the video.

Gotcha

BruceTheQuail 05-08-2018 05:37 PM

Kind of relevant - what sounds better out of the R and the SVR? Does the SVR actually have the supercharger whine that you hear in (say) the project 8 or the f Pace SVR promotional videos?

OzXFR 05-08-2018 06:38 PM

I would guess that the SVR has a little more SC whine than the R for one reason only - the SVR doesn't have an engine cover but the R does.
On my measly V6S the larger lower pulley and tune has made a huge difference to SC whine, I now have lots where before I had almost none.
Apparently the reason for this is that the VAP "with pulley" tune includes a tweak to the programming of the SC bypass valve so that it stays more closed (up to fully closed) earlier and longer.
Now the SVR might have a similar tweak in it's stock tune but I doubt it.
Point is, I put the engine cover back on two days ago as it's GoT "winter is coming" time here in South Oz, and straight away the SC whine dropped by maybe 40%. I will be taking it off again real soon!

SVR 05-08-2018 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail (Post 1891665)
Kind of relevant - what sounds better out of the R and the SVR? Does the SVR actually have the supercharger whine that you hear in (say) the project 8 or the f Pace SVR promotional videos?

There's pretty much no audible whine in mine with the stock intake and pulleys.

Selko92 05-08-2018 08:37 PM

Apparently F-Type has launch control??

Per the Jaguar video it states if you hold brake and gas pedal launch control will activate?

Unhingd 05-08-2018 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Selko92 (Post 1891735)
Per the Jaguar video it states if you hold brake and gas pedal launch control will activate?

https://youtu.be/b3iyezSJBSw

Only available on the V6S. Not available on the R or SVR.

ndabunka 05-08-2018 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Selko92 (Post 1891735)

https://youtu.be/b3iyezSJBSw

That is ONLY for the v6 models and possibly only for the S. It does not work on the v8s.

As far as SC whine, my R DEFINITELY has a nice SC whine once you get over 4,500 & are still pounding it.

ndabunka 05-08-2018 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by VR46 (Post 1891633)

That depends on what you call "winning". The reaction time will DEFINITELY play a factor in who crosses the line first and THAT is what real drag racing is about.

The lowest Reaction Time (RT) paired with the lowest Elapsed Time (ET) = The FIRST car across the line and that is the WINNER on each and every NHRA race so while some may say that RT doesn't matter but those same people aren't actually racing "heads up" in that case.

Gibbo205 05-09-2018 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by SVR (Post 1891636)
When stock, it will launch a bit harder by brake torquing. However after the VAP tune, I ran quicker launching from idle. Otherwise it would trigger torque limitation and fall on its face after launch.

OK something I need to try, I asked on the video and they replied they found around 1400rpm was the best launch RPM.

Did you find similar when stock?

SVR 05-09-2018 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Gibbo205 (Post 1891977)
OK something I need to try, I asked on the video and they replied they found around 1400rpm was the best launch RPM.

Did you find similar when stock?

I didn't experiment with varying the launch RPM. It was either WOT off idle or full stall of the torque convertor.

All this talk about 1/4-mile times is giving me the itch to go again this evening. I have yet to run the car since fitting the VAP catted downpipes, but they should be good at least 1-2 MPH combined with cooler temps. Wishing I didn't fill the tank Monday...

Gibbo205 05-09-2018 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by SVR (Post 1892096)
I didn't experiment with varying the launch RPM. It was either WOT off idle or full stall of the torque convertor.

All this talk about 1/4-mile times is giving me the itch to go again this evening. I have yet to run the car since fitting the VAP catted downpipes, but they should be good at least 1-2 MPH combined with cooler temps. Wishing I didn't fill the tank Monday...

You should go, just drive there fast, use up more fuel.

What is a full stall of the torque convertor?

SVR 05-10-2018 12:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Went 11.41 @ 124.2, a new PB in this car for both E.T. and MPH. All runs were with about 3/4-tank of 91-octane, same launch procedure (WOT off idle), with traction control fully defeated and the transmission in S letting it shift itself. Only mods to the car are PS4 tires, VAP tune, and VAP 200-cell catted downpipes.

Runs 1, 3, and 4 were in snow/ice mode per Gibbo205's experience. Run 2 was in dynamic, which happened to be the slowest pass. Go figure.

Temperatures were in the high-60s for the first two runs dropping into the low-60s for the last two, but with a very annoying 17-18 MPH direct headwind. Also, the first run was with the car completely heat-soaked. If anyone's familiar with Sonoma Raceway, you know that traffic the last 2 miles of highway leading to it are spent with your foot overing over the brake, and I staged for the first pass within minutes of entering the gate.

For comparison, I ran with gentleman in a stock 2016 F-Type R (Car #70) who goes to the track 2-3 times a month in runs 2 and 4.