Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JLR dead last in J.D. initial quality

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
I will name the things made by robots and you name the things made by hand (by Jaguar).
  • All aluminum body panels
  • Monocouque chassis
These can be made both by hand or with machines. Now, when I say by hand, it doesn't mean that it was hammered out from ingot by hand, I mean finishing work, attaching insulation bits and so on. Yes, things like engine, differential, wiring harness, instrument cluster and so on are made by parts suppliers. However, this is normal in modern manufacturing. These premanufactured parts can still be installed and connected incorrectly. All interior is installed by hand. Drive train installed by hand. Doors, windows installed by hand. Wiring harness is installed and connected by hand. Front bumper, notorious for poor fit on F-type, is installed by hand. Side windows are installed and aligned by hand.

Now, you raised a good point. How much of common failures could be traced to things that go wrong at Castle Bromwich? Well, speaker rattle I'd firmly put into their fault camp. Window seals would be a tossup between improperly designed and improperly installed. Soft top faults would be again Castle Bromwhich. Engine destroying itself due to low oil after initial oil change? That is entirely not Castle Bromwich fault. e-differential problems? Not sure, but unlikely their fault.

Now, MT clutch? This is just bad engineering and bad acceptance testing. They chose to release faulty product.

However, JLR owns all of these problems - assembly issues, supplier fault, bad design. Combination of these is why they ended dead last on J.D.

Last edited by SinF; 07-05-2018 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

You underscore the root problem my friend:
Rattling loudspeaker, poorly designed clutch.
= new type of customer buying this brand.

Ask folks familiar with Ferrari California- a direct competitor to the Ftype!
Complete engine recall and redesign. They have a slight flaw they seize.

Ask Corvette lovers if they absconded GM over their engine problems let alone rattling speakers.

Ask Lambo/Audi RS8 disciples if they flinched over poorly designed engines. And you wont believe this, till I post a pic, we had Lamborghini in our shop for rattling rearview mirrors and speaker.

Old 07-05-2018, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member

We have all overlooked a simple rationale.
If you believe JD that Kia is the highest quality of life to be had...
you are no longer thinking for yourself and deserve a Hyundia

Old 07-05-2018, 04:22 PM
Received 170 Likes on 105 Posts

I am certainly no technogeek and do not buy cars for all of the electronic goodies. I think part of the perceived quality problem with new vehicles is that owners do not know how to use these electronic goodies, don't read or understand the owner's manual and then blame the manufacturer for these problems. We have owned two Jaguars, an XF and and an XJ and have had no problems whatsoever with them. I am afraid I do not believe that modern Jaguars are anymore problematic than any other car.

The following 2 users liked this post by MV Rider:
NBCat (07-06-2018), Queen and Country (07-05-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by hades281
A quart of oil shouldn't cost $22, an oil filter $50, a windshield $1400, and a garden-variety transmission $17000.
Thankfully, the MT is only $7k.

Old 07-05-2018, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by zach05855
These surveys are worthless, easily skewed by buyer expectations, buyers of Korean cars are not enthusiasts and have low expectations.
This ^^^ I'm not saying that JLR or the F type is perfect but the vast majority of the complaints on this very forum are minor in nature.....many marques would be very happy to have most posts concerned about such minutiae.

Dave

The following 2 users liked this post by DPelletier:
NBCat (07-06-2018), sov211 (07-06-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

The small things Jaguar builds by hand, (and rightfully so) leather seats, no one has raised issue with.
When I toured Brown's Lane in the 80's they were still making the seats by hand but that was outsourced a long time ago. The last factory tour I went on was of Castle Bromwich just as they were switching over from the XK to the F Type and Lear were making the seats then.

https://www.just-auto.com/news/lear-..._id129711.aspx

The following users liked this post:
Queen and Country (07-06-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 01:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by u102768
When I toured Brown's Lane in the 80's they were still making the seats by hand but that was outsourced a long time ago. The last factory tour I went on was of Castle Bromwich just as they were switching over from the XK to the F Type and Lear were making the seats then.

https://www.just-auto.com/news/lear-..._id129711.aspx
Its really just become a form of financing hasnt it; this whole just-in-time thing. Its perpetually owing as opposed to always sitting on inventory.
I believe our veneer was made in Brown's Lane?? wood and leather no one does it better.

Old 07-06-2018, 03:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

Its really just become a form of financing hasnt it; this whole just-in-time thing. Its perpetually owing as opposed to always sitting on inventory.
I believe our veneer was made in Brown's Lane?? wood and leather no one does it better.
Our cars would have been one of the last to have the veneer made by Jaguar actually. I saw them making veneer pieces during my factory visit in the 80's even though all of the other manufacturing moved from Brown's Lane in 2005 the veneer manufacturing continued there until 2010 when they sold the veneer producing business to a company called Lawrence Automotive Interiors Ltd:

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/ne...s-jobs-3063554

Unfortunately they hit hard times last year and I am not sure who supplies it now:

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/ne...otive-13531165

Queen and Country (07-06-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member

this whole just-in-time thing
It makes production much more fragile. Personal example - I was about to buy Infiniti G37 when tsunami in Japan happened. I was told that it would be at least 9 month wait. I didn't end up buying one.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member

Saddening for mankind really, to see the last remaining artisans of a craft as unique and traditional as Japanese sword-making, made redundant.
For mankind rather play with a low resolution screen. Lets see how that screen weathers time in comparison.
Thank you for posting that, I shall cherish my walnut interior.

Last edited by Queen and Country; 07-06-2018 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:33 AM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Wood. I had a MB sales guy in the XK8. He looked at the dash and said “This is like a yacht.” Mirror cut and matched sill to dash to sill. Beautiful craftsmanship.

As close as I can tell wood interiors are available in the after market for every car made. I think an F-Type with a walnut dash would be a hoot.

Last edited by Suaro; 07-06-2018 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:53 PM
Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Pretty much. Toyota-isms came out of low amounts of cash flow.

Old 07-06-2018, 01:09 PM
Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

For mankind rather play with a low resolution screen. Lets see how that screen weathers time in comparison.
THIS.

This generation is being raised knowing very little other than "rubbing a screen". Don't call me old-fashioned or a luddite... Skilled craftsmanship is dying.

Old 07-06-2018, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 15FTypeR
THIS.

This generation is being raised knowing very little other than "rubbing a screen". Don't call me old-fashioned or a luddite... Skilled craftsmanship is dying.
Largely because scoundrels like JD are setting the standards for quality and craftsmanship and in their wisdom they derive at a Kia and Hyundia as the standard-bearers

Old 07-08-2018, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member

Face it, F-type isn't expensive enough to be crafted, it is mass produced. As such, mass producing F-type isn't any different than mass producing Genesis. If Genesis is better mass-produced, then JLR should figure out what Hyundai does better than them.

I also disagree that we should lower our expectations with Jaguar and F-type. It is by far harder to make a cheap economy car well than to make $100K car well. Cars that cost more have more room for better manufacturing and better materials.

Last but not least, Porsche, BMW, Lexus, Mercedes all seem to be doing a better job than JLR. They make directly comparable cars but better. What do they know that JLR doesn't?

Old 07-08-2018, 09:52 AM
Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm old enough to remember the initial delivery quality of USofA manufactured vehicles back in the 70's and 80's. Upon initial delivery we started a punch list of dings, noises, rattles, malfunctions and strange smells. We put a small container in the trunk/boot to collect the miscellaneous screws and parts that mysteriously appeared in and around the vehicle.. We probably had 200 to 500 PP 100 for USofA manufactured vehicles. Then the Japanese arrived with their much better assembled daily driver vehicles - they set a standard for competing on quality. I don't recall Jaguar as ever among the quality standard setters.

Today's vehicles are competing in the 70 PP 100 to 160 PP 100 range for initial quality stats.....quite an improvement for vehicles which have becomes massively more complex in the last 40 to 50 years. Amazing.

Stay calm and eat more donuts/crumpets.

Desert Hiker

Last edited by Desert Hiker; 07-08-2018 at 10:26 AM.
15FTypeR (07-08-2018)
Old 07-08-2018, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
Porsche, BMW, Lexus, Mercedes all seem to be doing a better job than JLR. They make directly comparable cars but better. What do they know that JLR doesn't?
By your own logic, Hyundia is doing better than Lexus, what can lexus learn? I have your answer!....

Aim for the contrarian buyer. The guy who wont buy Pepsi or Coke because he feels the generic brands offer better value.
By default his threshold is very low and his approval is profuse.

Just like alt brands of cola, Hyundia has the added benefit and luxury of not creating anything as they are imitators- state funded at that.

15FTypeR (07-08-2018)
Old 07-08-2018, 10:00 AM
Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

1.5 problems PER CAR when half of it is probably people not understanding the technogadgets is excellent. The best on the list is only three quarters of a problem less "problems" per car. To call JLR quality "bad" after reading this survey indicates either a lack of understanding of math, or frankly a complete disconnect with the real world - a symptom we're seeing more and more of these days. If 1.5 problems per car stops someone from buying a brand, solely on that basis, they're either an idiot or have no enthusiasm for driving whatsoever and should buy a Kia. Some of the criticism is utterly ridiculous.

1.5 first world "problems" for the screen-rubbing generation. Three quarters of a first world problem makes them lose their minds comparing Kias to Jaguars.

Last edited by 15FTypeR; 07-08-2018 at 10:07 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 15FTypeR:
NBCat (07-08-2018), Queen and Country (07-08-2018)
Old 07-08-2018, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member

Exactly! If there was a quality test of the buyers..
we would find that even 1.5 problems emerge from pearls before swine.

Quick Reply: JLR dead last in J.D. initial quality