Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint and Leather Protection

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 07:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts
Default Paint and Leather Protection

I'm sure I have seen a thread on this elsewhere, but my search did not turn it up. I have been researching nano paint protection. "Cquartz" and "CeramicPro" are a couple that have come up, as well as accompanying leather protectant packages. I plan to put down the nano first as it seems the paint protectant needs to get into the crevices before any film goes on(contrary to what some suppliers think). I know there are a lot of owners with these products out there. Can I get the benefit of your experience and opinion?

Old 04-05-2017, 08:30 AM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

There have been some discussions on this, yes. I had C-Quartz applied professionally and I am very happy with it. It has a great gloss and, more than anything else, it makes the car very easy to wash/clean. As has been said before, actual impact protection is illusory. The film is for impact protection. I had that on my Vette and I liked the protection. But in my experience, even with Zaino on the film, you will never get the eye-popping shine on a film that you get from these ceramic products.

Larry

Old 04-05-2017, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member

That is my impression. My plan is to get the C-Quartz on first for the shine and the add film to front and maybe some fender areas.

Old 04-05-2017, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

My wrap/detailer was an avid proponent of cQuartz until about a year ago (hence, I have cQuartz applied). However, he claims the new generation Ceramic Pro 9H, blows it away in terms of protection and longevity. I will be moving to the Ceramic Pro when it's time for a reapplication of the finish. cQuartz is still very good but, apparently, no longer the very best.

Last edited by Unhingd; 04-05-2017 at 02:28 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
818 (04-11-2017), JgaXkr (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

Unless you're looking to keep the car for the next decade, the question to ask yourself is whether you prefer oil from constrictors or venemous snakes.

Regular wax works wonders, but...

Old 04-05-2017, 03:27 PM
Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

I applied CQuartz to my wheels myself, and it does make removing brake dust significantly easier.

Old 04-05-2017, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by F-typical
Unless you're looking to keep the car for the next decade, the question to ask yourself is whether you prefer oil from constrictors or venemous snakes.

Regular wax works wonders, but...
Yep... plan on keeping it for decades.

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (04-06-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 05:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

+1 on the decades. I will need to get my film redone. Mine was cquarted over the film. Not sure this is best approach. I will need to find a shop to redo and resolve which way is best. I also would like custom cut film with rolled edges. Not a fan of how the precut looks, especially around hood openings. I do miss waxing the car at times, but the film/protectant has its advantages. If I had a darker color the deep shine of wax is hard to beat, but it's fleeting.

Old 04-06-2017, 05:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jaguny
+1 on the decades. I will need to get my film redone. Mine was cquarted over the film. Not sure this is best approach. I will need to find a shop to redo and resolve which way is best. I also would like custom cut film with rolled edges. Not a fan of how the precut looks, especially around hood openings. I do miss waxing the car at times, but the film/protectant has its advantages. If I had a darker color the deep shine of wax is hard to beat, but it's fleeting.
I had the cQuartz applied before the film and, after close to two years, still very pleased with the results. I use a proprietary product called Prep 'n Polish that my detail/wrap guy formulated for nano-coat and film. Adds luster back to the film and adds depth to the cQuartz. The added benefit is the joy of applying it. Takes less than 5 minutes to do the whole car, but provides the joy of bringing it back to full sparkle.

jaguny (04-12-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 06:30 AM
Veteran Member

I read about the C.Pro 9H. Looks like base app. cost is about $3500. Maybe after I get my first lottery check.
Since I kept my last personal car ('79 Vette) 25 yrs. will likely do the same with the F-type so will try to do good by the finish.
From my research, the idea of the nano particles is to get down into the tiny cracks and crevices of the finish to make it as smooth as possible. Applying over film seems to defeat this purpose. That is why I plan to apply C=Quartz first the have film added to front nose area, maybe wheel openings. Got a good C-Quartz applicator, now need to find a film guy here in S.W. Fla. Supposedly C-G. has a leather cover also. Anyone use it??

Old 04-06-2017, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,584 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I had the cQuartz applied before the film and, after close to two years, still very pleased with the results. I use a proprietary product called Prep 'n Polish that my detail/wrap guy formulated for nano-coat and film. Adds luster back to the film and adds depth to the cQuartz. The added benefit is the joy of applying it. Takes less than 5 minutes to do the whole car, but provides the joy of bringing it back to full sparkle.
I know you're fast but 5 minutes to do the whole car? How can that be possible? Doesn't matter.

What I want to know - since I too intend to keep the car for as long as I'm alive (Dave, no wise-cracks about mountain climbing please) - is this. Since you are brilliant when it comes to explaining things, would you be so kind as to explain the Quartz'ing, including cost (if you prefer to PM me, feel free). As you know I have much of my F-Type wrapped - what I think is an excellent but not completely fabulous job - and I suppose I might consider paint protection options in the future. Not sure the cost makes it worthwhile [for me] particularly since Liz's 10-year old BMW seemingly has a much better quality paint job than my 2015 F-Type (maybe that's exactly the reason to do it?). I might even be inclined, In the future, to have your guy do it (and stay with you while it's being done? .

Thanks U

Old 04-06-2017, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
I know you're fast but 5 minutes to do the whole car? How can that be possible? Doesn't matter.
I'll send you a bottle. You'll see. Also, I'm highly motivated. Would rather be driving than polishing.

I'll call you this afternoon. Typing out a full response using the biblical keyboard method ("seek and ye shall find") will take forever.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I'll send you a bottle. You'll see. Also, I'm highly motivated. Would rather be driving than polishing.

I'll call you this afternoon. Typing out a full response using the biblical keyboard method ("seek and ye shall find") will take forever.
Just so you know, Marko already sent me 4 bottles. Of excellent wine! (And Dave bought me dinner near Boston not so long ago).

Thank you U, you are indeed a well-spring (lowered) of information.

Best regards,
Jay

P.S. You know I'm totally with you on driving versus...well...almost anything.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 04-06-2017 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-06-2017, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member

Four bottles of good wine will make ANY wax job go easier, maybe not better.....

Old 04-06-2017, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SamtheSham
Four bottles of good wine will make ANY wax job go easier, maybe not better.....
If I consumed all 4 bottles of that most excellent wine Brother Bourne bestowed on me the only thing which would be waxed would be me. Out cold.

Old 04-06-2017, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Is the prep and polish available to the public?

Old 04-06-2017, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

If this finish is so good, why manufacturers are not applying it at the factory (volume and process discounts driving price down) and then pushing this as a breakthrough in paint technology via marketing?

I am highly skeptical of these products because of that.

My detailing guy applies multi-stage hard wax every spring. It lasts until the next year. It costs me way less than these per year. It looks and works as good.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

There is an image we don't need!

Old 04-06-2017, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
If this finish is so good, why manufacturers are not applying it at the factory (volume and process discounts driving price down) and then pushing this as a breakthrough in paint technology via marketing?

I am highly skeptical of these products because of that.

My detailing guy applies multi-stage hard wax every spring. It lasts until the next year. It costs me way less than these per year. It looks and works as good.
A full paint correction and cQuartz cost me $995. It is only warranted for 2 years. The manufacturer is not likely to offer a discretionary product like this unless is can feel comfortable that it will hold up for the period of the car warranty. I'm willing to pay the price not to deal with paint swirls. No need to be skeptical that the best of these products perform. One, however, can be skeptical of the value, but that's a personal decision.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jaguny
Is the prep and polish available to the public?
Yes. Give Rob a call at Proform Auto - Paint Protection, Paintless Dent Repair, Tinting, Detailing . He doesn't have an online store but may sell it to you over the phone.

jaguny (04-07-2017)