Sponsored by:

Looking at a used MT 2016 on Monday...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 01:51 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
.............................Dealer........ Online
Flywheel ...............$1651 ........$ 990
Clutch kit......... ...... 517......... 310 (Gen 4)
T.O. bearing (hyd.) .. 191.......... 114

You gotta be careful. Some of the dealers are still selling the gen 1 clutch through their online channels.
Good to know, honestly I was expecting it to be more.

Has anyone NOT been able to get a clutch replacement under warranty? I’m definitely going to try and get it to slip but am worried my lack of experience with the car will be detrimental to that testing. We’ll see.

Old 12-18-2017, 07:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Don't know.. I'm still on Gen 2 and it is still holding in there after 17k miles and a highly tuned engine.
You are taking it too easy, driving slow in a fast lane with a blinker on... :P Your accelerator pedal will leave you for a better man if you don't give it some floor time now and then.

---

My Gen2 clutch already RIP. Taking it appart and looking at part - heat damage and scorching at flywheel and glazing on the clutch. I suspect it can't handle track conditions: frequent redline shifts and trail braking (accelerator and mild braking input at the same time).

Subjectively, third gen clutch is lighter than second gen. I suspect, but yet to confirm, that it will likely act more like first gen clutch (e.g. slip when pushed).

Old 12-18-2017, 07:49 AM
Veteran Member

Clutch kit......... ...... 517......... 310 (Gen 4)
There is Gen 4 clutch? Great. Here we go again. Please post part numbers in The Clutch Thread.

Old 12-18-2017, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by approx

Has anyone NOT been able to get a clutch replacement under warranty? I’m definitely going to try and get it to slip but am worried my lack of experience with the car will be detrimental to that testing. We’ll see.
Just bang-shift it, it isn't (yet) your car after all. It will slip.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:42 AM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Isn't the 3rd generation OEM clutch good though? Or does that one have issues too?
Hard to say...I know that the one put in mine earlier this month appears to actually be a 4th generation. I did not ask what contributed to yet another part number for the clutch...

Old 12-18-2017, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by SinF
There is Gen 4 clutch? Great. Here we go again. Please post part numbers in The Clutch Thread.
I did. That was the first I saw of a fourth part number for clutches on the F-Type...

Old 12-18-2017, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I was also expecting it to be more. So I'm guessing if you went to a indy-shop labor would be something like $1000?

Old 12-18-2017, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

You are taking it too easy, driving slow in a fast lane with a blinker on... :P Your accelerator pedal will leave you for a better man if you don't give it some floor time now and then.
I have witnesses from Lobster Run I, to prove to the contrary.

Old 12-18-2017, 05:46 PM

Took the car for a drive today, it’s hard to tell if anything’s off since it is so different from a Miata. But it makes some fantastic noise! I couldn’t get the clutch to slip but didn’t get it on the highway either, just city streets. Still, it seemed strong through the 1-2-3 shifts.

If I do end up buying it, is it worthwhile to stop by the jaguar dealer and have them update the firmware? I have no idea what version it is running, but guessing it is an older version based on the minimal usage/service.

EDIT: Also, have any of you come from a Miata? How do you think the two compare?

Old 12-18-2017, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member

But it makes some fantastic noise!

If I do end up buying it, is it worthwhile to stop by the jaguar dealer and have them update the firmware?
If they apply patches, your car will become a lot more quiet.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:39 PM

If they apply patches, your car will become a lot more quiet.
What!? Why would they do that??

Old 12-19-2017, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member

What!? Why would they do that??
Emissions.

Old 12-19-2017, 12:42 PM

Emissions.
That's horrible. Is there any way to fall back on earlier firmware versions if it does get inadvertantly updated?

Is there a list of all updates that are out and what they do?

Old 12-20-2017, 04:37 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just took my 2016 S MT in for its first service. I got the stereo system software update and it made a big difference in the quality of the sound system, I would recommend that one for sure.

The exhaust note didn't change at all after the service, but I don't think they did any other software changes. I have noticed that the exhaust pops and crackles have improved over time. I've only got about 900 miles on the car, but it definitely sounds better than when I first bought it.

I've not had any problems with my clutch yet. My VIN is 32xxx so I may have the updated version, not sure

I think you'll like the car, I've really loved mine so far

Old 12-20-2017, 06:40 AM

EDIT: Also, have any of you come from a Miata? How do you think the two compare?
There is no comparison other than both are RWD manual tranny two-seaters, at least in stock form. Someone with a Monster Miata might offer a different comparison. That being said, I should offer the caveat that my primary experience is as an NA owner that has now owned it for better than 15 years.

You simply cannot compare a 2300 pound vehicle (if that) to the F-Type. Acceleration is nowhere close and there is a valid argument that the Miata is going to be more nimble by virtue of the light weight.

Others with an NC or ND may have some other opinions now that Mazda tried to turn the Miata into a luxobarge. I looked at the ND and would have taken the Spider over the ND...the Spider came closer to matching the fun factor of the NA.

I haven't kicked the '91 BRG out of the garage, but it is a car for its own purposes...

The following users liked this post:
approx (12-20-2017)
Old 12-20-2017, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Clayton
I just took my 2016 S MT in for its first service. I got the stereo system software update and it made a big difference in the quality of the sound system, I would recommend that one for sure.

The exhaust note didn't change at all after the service, but I don't think they did any other software changes. I have noticed that the exhaust pops and crackles have improved over time. I've only got about 900 miles on the car, but it definitely sounds better than when I first bought it.

I've not had any problems with my clutch yet. My VIN is 32xxx so I may have the updated version, not sure

I think you'll like the car, I've really loved mine so far
Thanks, that sounds useful! How can I tell whether that software update has been done? What's the "service number" of it? Maybe I'll swing by the jaguar dealer and see if they can do that update before I head home.

Old 12-20-2017, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by mbelanger
There is no comparison other than both are RWD manual tranny two-seaters, at least in stock form. Someone with a Monster Miata might offer a different comparison. That being said, I should offer the caveat that my primary experience is as an NA owner that has now owned it for better than 15 years.

You simply cannot compare a 2300 pound vehicle (if that) to the F-Type. Acceleration is nowhere close and there is a valid argument that the Miata is going to be more nimble by virtue of the light weight.

Others with an NC or ND may have some other opinions now that Mazda tried to turn the Miata into a luxobarge. I looked at the ND and would have taken the Spider over the ND...the Spider came closer to matching the fun factor of the NA.

I haven't kicked the '91 BRG out of the garage, but it is a car for its own purposes...
The ND is actually lighter weight than an NA! But I tried one, it's too small for me. My head constantly touches the ceiling, but it doesn't in my Mazdaspeed.

It's hard for me to make the comparison because I've owned the Mazdaspeed for 8 years now, and I'm so used to it... it's like a well-worn glove vs breaking in a new one. I have to get used to the Jag before I can really make a good comparison. Well, other than it seems like acceleration is similar.

Old 12-20-2017, 01:07 PM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

My local Jag service manager quoted me his book price of $1300 for clutch replacement (I too was quantifying the downside if I had to or wanted to replace outside of warranty).
I thought this was a reasonable number given the price I paid for the car, the car is new with no aftermarket parts or any deep experience anywhere replacing these clutches.

The following users liked this post:
amcdonal86 (12-20-2017)
Old 12-20-2017, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

$1300? That's it? That makes me a lot less worried about buying a 2016 used MT.

Old 12-20-2017, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member

This is just clutch. According to procedure you also need updated flywheel.

Quick Reply: Looking at a used MT 2016 on Monday...