F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MASSIVE Failure. Loss of Power. Error Messages

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 12:15 PM
Received 240 Likes on 167 Posts

I had the same issue. I diagnosed it myself... Jaguar is aware of the issue. Tell them to call Dominic at Crest Jaguar in Woodbridge CT and ask them how they fixed Charles' F-Type. It's a pin in the fuse box in the passenger footwell.

Easy fix

Old 12-14-2017, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by sts-v
Lol. You guys wouldn't last a day in the GM/Ford world.
Jeez... you are in here scamming people and insulting them too? They kicked you out of every F-Type, Cadillac, Mustang Facebook group and now here OMG you are one persistent troll

Last edited by FType17; 12-14-2017 at 12:26 PM. Reason: info
Old 12-14-2017, 12:50 PM

Specifically, it's a pin that mates with this harness (Blue)

Old 12-14-2017, 12:53 PM
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

It's a moot point as of this juncture...the car spent 50+days in the shop with in 12 months of purchase.
It's a Lemon in every definition. I have no confidence in it.
They need and will buy it back from me, regardless of how easy of a fix it may have been.

Old 12-14-2017, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by BostonKiller
It's a moot point as of this juncture...the car spent 50+days in the shop with in 12 months of purchase.
It's a Lemon in every definition. I have no confidence in it.
They need and will buy it back from me, regardless of how easy of a fix it may have been.
I am sad to read that. I wouldn't give up on the car I love because my dealer is a m****n. Keep the car, get a better dealer.

The following users liked this post:
BostonKiller (12-14-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 02:52 PM
Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

Yeah, IMO cars aren't really lemons, the 'technicians' working on them are. I have a couple friends in a vehicle manufacturing plant and they say their single biggest cause of problems with vehicle 'quality' is the dealer mechanics/technicians working on them. If they never touched the cars there would be far fewer problems. Maybe this is why we have a 10k oil change interval.

I understand you wanting to be rid of the car. It's hard to trust it now, even if it were to be 100 fixed.

The following 3 users liked this post by 15FTypeR:
BostonKiller (12-14-2017), FType17 (12-14-2017), SinF (12-15-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by 15FTypeR
Yeah, IMO cars aren't really lemons, the 'technicians' working on them are. I have a couple friends in a vehicle manufacturing plant and they say their single biggest cause of problems with vehicle 'quality' is the dealer mechanics/technicians working on them. If they never touched the cars there would be far fewer problems. Maybe this is why we have a 10k oil change interval.

I understand you wanting to be rid of the car. It's hard to trust it now, even if it were to be 100 fixed.

I laughed so hard at this. You are very right! I always say that the day a car dealer needs to take out my dashboard I will sell the car the day after. Hickups happen in production but so many dealer techs are just sloppy and careless. I shouldn't do this but I am posting the email I sent to one of my friends at Jaguar Corporate as soon as this very same problem came up... you see my point: (this was on SUNDAY, and this is one of the top 3 executives at JLR USA). Car fixed by Tuesday morning

----------------------
My email to him=========
...... time in 3 days that it had a major electronic meltdown. Randomly it goes resets all the electronics and shows every possible error code. After a ton of tries it goes in limp mode but both times it was near misses from getting rear ended at high speed. See pictures of some of the time of error messages. It is getting towed to Crest Jaguar and honestly, they are nice people but in the past they were not very knowledgeable. Can you see of they need extra help from JLR to get it diagnosed and fixed right the first time? It is due at another car show next Sunday. My cell is ***********. Also, if you happen to see this message on Sunday, do you know how I can get the car in Neutral for the flatbed -AWD.

Thank you so much.
---------------------------------

A few email messages later....

--------------------------------
Anyway, I diverted one of our race transport trucks with a sliding liftgate and dollies and got it down to Crest. I also partially figured out the issue. By undoing the clip and extracting the wire harness and reinserting it in the fuse box in the passenger footwell, all the codes go away and the car starts fine.
Unfortunately I tried to disconnect the battery prior to that and leaving it off for a while but that did NOT reset anything meaning it’s not something related to resetting the computers. Land Rover tells me to do that when the Range Rovers come up with crazy stuff. For sure what I know is that the only way to be able to start the car and for the car to operate is the pulling of that harness and re-insertion. ?? Crimping issue???
The only error left after is the check engine light, sorry but I was too tired to lookup the code for that.
The car is sitting at Crest at the moment. Glad I was able to get it started and moved.
Hope this helps in diagnosing it.
-----------------------------
.... From JLR Corporate Eecutive

You get the McGyver award for today....!
Got it. Harness issues usually come up early... but I have seen them as late as 20 months... sometimes it takes that long for the issue to mature.
I appreciate your work Charles! We'll get on it in the AM.
-----------------------------

BostonKiller (12-14-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 07:46 PM

UPDATE
Went in for an inspection at Jaguar San Diego. The only thing they pointed out was the damage to the right lower side bumper - it's from when the power loss occurred the first time, on the highway and I had to pull over as quickly as possible and the emergency lane was very narrow. Scraped the curb.
Gotta tell you: it was quiet a harrowing experience, losing power the first time. Sitting on the (narrow, again) side of the highway trying to restart the car and expecting to be hit from behind any time...let's just say I don't recommend it.
Otherwise the car is in good condition, nothing is needed, as per Miguel, the Service Department Manager. He also reiterated that the harness got pinched during A/C unit repair by the selling dealership. A fact that was not disclosed to me prior to the sale, I might add!
I REALLY hope they don't try to pull a fast one and try to charge me for the scratches on the bumper.
Angry lawyers will come down on them faster than a diving F-15.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:53 PM
Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

More evidence that repair work =>> future problems with the car in many cases. Good to hear you are on the way to ending this escapade.

BostonKiller (12-15-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 08:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Jaguar North America have been in touch with me for the last 2 weeks or so. They have agreed to repurchase the car as a per California Lemon Law and to refund all my payments.
Glad to hear. What are you getting next?

Old 12-15-2017, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by SinF
Glad to hear. What are you getting next?
Ideally I'd like another F Type R (or SVR).
But it would have to be a crazy lease deal at this point. Not that mine was bad or anything. But having to go through multiple episodes of loss of power does not exactly instill confidence in the brand or the model (even though it seems more of a fault of a dealership that sold me the car)...So I'd need a very steep discount to be convinced.

For now however, I have a Chrysler minivan I can drive

Old 12-15-2017, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I see you are lining up for "excessive pain and suffering" in case this does go to courts.

BostonKiller (12-15-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 11:08 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,066 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Have you asked VAP if they have a tune for it?

ndabunka (04-15-2018)
Old 12-15-2017, 11:11 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
I see you are lining up for "excessive pain and suffering" in case this does go to courts.
Too funny !

Old 02-01-2018, 08:17 PM

Well, it's finally over. Dropped her off@San Diego Jaguar. Got my check and walked (drove) away. Sad day, cause I really did love my Shaguar, but got what I wanted and it's time to move on.
I'd LOVE to drive F Type R again in the future, but for now I have some company cars I can drive, so I'll have to settle.
Thank you guys for your support and help. Truly are a special group. I'll always remember fondly when close to 30 F Types and XFs rolled around the shores of Orange County, CA...it was amazing (and amazingly loud)!

sparky fuze (02-02-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 09:26 AM
Received 169 Likes on 107 Posts

Glad it worked out for you in the end.

I wonder who will end up with this car in the future?

Old 02-02-2018, 12:33 PM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

We should have a sticky post with the VIN# of those cars that were 'lemoned'...

Old 02-02-2018, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by mshedden
We should have a sticky post with the VIN# of those cars that were 'lemoned'...
Maybe but in this case, I wouldn't be concerned buying the car....."He also reiterated that the harness got pinched during A/C unit repair by the selling dealership." Not the car's fault! :-)

Dave