Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   F-Type ( X152 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/)
-   -   Mina Gallery intake kit (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/mina-gallery-intake-kit-220398/)

OzXFR 07-12-2019 01:48 AM

Mina Gallery intake kit

Just up on the Mina site, their long promised intake tube kit for the F-Type: https://www.minagallery.com/f-type-performance-items/
Appears to be the exact same kit for both the V6 and V8 and the price isn't too bad.
I somehow doubt their claim of 8 to 13 hp at the wheels though.

4x4uk 07-12-2019 01:57 AM

yeah price doesn't look too bad at all. Looks much better than the OEM blob of plastic too

OzXFR 07-12-2019 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by 4x4uk (Post 2097682)
yeah price doesn't look too bad at all. Looks much better than the OEM blob of plastic too

I'm tempted and yes it looks a helluva lot better than the stock set up.
But I'm wary, I fitted a TCP intake (same thing but a mix of ali and silicon tubing) to my old XFR and it made SFA difference to either the performance or the sound.
Just checked the OEM intake tubing set up and it looks straightforward to replace EXCEPT for the bottom ends where they are clamped above the MAF sensors and tubes, those clamps look to be an absolute PITA to access, I can't see any way of getting at them short of disassembling the front end of the car!

Tel 07-12-2019 07:21 AM

Hooray! at last...and a reasonable price too.

Just a shame I get clobbered for 20% customs....b@st@rds! ;-)

@OzXFR It's an easy job....wheels off, arch liners out, can all be done from there.

Unhingd 07-12-2019 07:49 AM

Just the thing to go with my polished intercooler cover. I wonder how far along Stuart is in developing the VAP intake kit.

Jklad 07-12-2019 01:43 PM

Is this just the pipes from the top of each air filter to the point where they join into the intake manifold/intercooler? I don’t see how that can add much, having read on here that other intake kits that eliminated the section from the filter - downward hardly produced any gains.

But if it sounds better thank stock i would totally do it :icon_steer:

Jaggyx 07-12-2019 01:44 PM

Shout out to Mina Gallery for not price gouging just because they're selling parts for Jaguars.

Unhingd 07-12-2019 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jaggyx (Post 2097930)
Shout out to Mina Gallery for not price gouging just because they're selling parts for Jaguars.

+1. Replacing a thick plastic tube and muffled section with a straight thin wall metal tube is bound to result in more noise. I’d pay the $245 for the improved appearance alone. Bedsides, I would prefer to stick with the OEM filter element. Particle filtration is far more important than additional whine and a couple more horses.

Tel 07-12-2019 02:47 PM

I'm going to do it.

I've waited for VAP, but they were looking into this back in March. Bit too pricey considering I already have the filters....nothing heard since?

Been in touch with Mina, there's no supporting brackets on these tubes as with the OEM, so if you have aftermarket filters as I do (to remove loads of unnecessary weight) then you will need to add brackets at the MAF or filter assy.

eeeeek 07-12-2019 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd (Post 2097786)
Just the thing to go with my polished intercooler cover. I wonder how far along Stuart is in developing the VAP intake kit.

Do tell. Where did you get that?

Chawumba 07-12-2019 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Tel (Post 2097967)
I'm going to do it.

I've waited for VAP, but they were looking into this back in March. Bit too pricey considering I already have the filters....nothing heard since?

Been in touch with Mina, there's no supporting brackets on these tubes as with the OEM, so if you have aftermarket filters as I do (to remove loads of unnecessary weight) then you will need to add brackets at the MAF or filter assy.

Wait, what? Factory intake system has significant unnecessary weight? How much are we talking? Some of us are obsessed with removing weight from these porker cars, especially in the front!

OzXFR 07-12-2019 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jklad (Post 2097929)
Is this just the pipes from the top of each air filter to the point where they join into the intake manifold/intercooler? I don’t see how that can add much, having read on here that other intake kits that eliminated the section from the filter - downward hardly produced any gains.

But if it sounds better thank stock i would totally do it :icon_steer:

No detail of the exact extent on the Mina site other than the front of ad pics (and it's the exact same pic for the V8 and V6 versions, and that pic is obviously of a V6), but I would bet dollars to donuts that it goes no lower than the top of the resonator tube which in turn is above the MAF which in turn is above the air box. Have a gander inside your engine bay and follow the tubes down behind each headlight and you will see the joins/clamps I referred to earlier, as I said it looks impossible to access those clamps from above but Tel reckons they are easy to access from underneath and to the side after removing the wheel well liners.

OzXFR 07-12-2019 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Chawumba (Post 2098073)
Wait, what? Factory intake system has significant unnecessary weight? How much are we talking? Some of us are obsessed with removing weight from these porker cars, especially in the front!

Yep, the stock air boxes weigh a packet. The stock filters not so much but after-market cone filters would be lighter still.

Mpowerr 07-12-2019 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR (Post 2097691)
I'm tempted and yes it looks a helluva lot better than the stock set up.
But I'm wary, I fitted a TCP intake (same thing but a mix of ali and silicon tubing) to my old XFR and it made SFA difference to either the performance or the sound.
Just checked the OEM intake tubing set up and it looks straightforward to replace EXCEPT for the bottom ends where they are clamped above the MAF sensors and tubes, those clamps look to be an absolute PITA to access, I can't see any way of getting at them short of disassembling the front end of the car!

Remove the front section of the fender liner, and you have easy access.

OzXFR 07-12-2019 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mpowerr (Post 2098116)
Remove the front section of the fender liner, and you have easy access.

Thanks.
I'm even more tempted by this kit now that it appears to be a relatively straightforward job to fit.
But rather than be a Guinea pig I will wait for someone with a V6 to go first and report back on four things:
Ease (or not) of installation and precision of the fit.
Does it sit/rub up against any painted body work - it looks to be a tight fit inside the front engine bay cross member - and possibly rattle and/or cause the paint to burn or blister?
What if any change or improvement to intake and/or SC noise?
What if any change or improvement to power/torque/performance?

T-Mack 07-13-2019 04:36 AM

I'll be careful here. The guarantee does not let me be decided

Unhingd 07-13-2019 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by eeeeek (Post 2098065)
Do tell. Where did you get that?

Stuart talked about it in a previous thread. I just communicated with him. He figures he’s about 6 to 8 weeks out before they’re fully developed.

$245 does not require a lifetime commitment. I just used Citibank reward points to pull the trigger on the Mina. Only way to tell if it has any benefit beyond appearance.

Tel 07-13-2019 11:44 AM

Here's a few shots of the system not mounted (Courtesy of Chris @Mina):

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...5c7993ea6b.jpg

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...8f8a7c7d3d.jpg

Looks really nice. My only concern is brackets to support as it puts the weight of filters and tubing on the Supercharger transition, if you have an aftermarket filter setup as I do. Work in progress.

For those people looking to save weight at the front, the OEM airboxes with filters are heavy, bloody heavy for what they do!

Paul_59 07-13-2019 02:55 PM

Agree it looks much nicer than the standard plastic part.

Agree may make intake noise more noticeable.

Two points I may differ from other posters over

It will probably absorb more engine bay heat into the intakes than a plastic pipe, which would likely have a small but nevertheless detrimental effect on power due raised inlet air temperatures

It aluminium alloy tubing will likely be heavier than plastic part of same dimensions

Unhingd 07-13-2019 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Paul_59 (Post 2098410)

It aluminium alloy tubing will likely be heavier than plastic part of same dimensions

Yes, but probably no more than another pound or two. I will weigh carefully.